Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320, 2003 CLK 320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a less than two year old 2003 C320 with 35,000 miles. For the last couple of months, every time I dry the car after washing, the chamois makes a funny sound as I dry the roof. After the last washing, I ran my fingers over the roof and it felt like very fine sandpaper. The paint looks perfect, but from the roof to about halfway down the A and C pillars, the suface feels rough. I used Meguiar's clearcoat safe paint cleaner, polish, and wax (two coats), and it is a little smoother, but nowhere near the perfectly smooth finish that it used to have, and that most of the rest of the vehicle STILL has. My windows feel the same - like very fine sandpaper.

The pool was just refinished at my condo building and my parking space is just underneath the edge of the pool deck in a carport. I think the top of the car must have been contaminated with something and I guess I will have to get it professionally removed? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
98 SL500 SPORT SLVR
280 Posts
Its probably concrete overspray. I'd call your insurance co. May be covered under comprehensive damage.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
tim757 - 4/2/2005 1:08 PM

I have a less than two year old 2003 C320 with 35,000 miles. For the last couple of months, every time I dry the car after washing, the chamois makes a funny sound as I dry the roof. After the last washing, I ran my fingers over the roof and it felt like very fine sandpaper. The paint looks perfect, but from the roof to about halfway down the A and C pillars, the suface feels rough. I used Meguiar's clearcoat safe paint cleaner, polish, and wax (two coats), and it is a little smoother, but nowhere near the perfectly smooth finish that it used to have, and that most of the rest of the vehicle STILL has. My windows feel the same - like very fine sandpaper.

The pool was just refinished at my condo building and my parking space is just underneath the edge of the pool deck in a carport. I think the top of the car must have been contaminated with something and I guess I will have to get it professionally removed? Any suggestions?
You really need to clay before you try the cleaner. Without claying, you are just rubbing in the abrasions more. You could be stripping away your paint.

I would call the insurance company too and make a complaint to the apartment manager. A lot of times, the company that spray will pay for the car to be repainted. They have insurance for this time of damage.

·
Registered
E320
153 Posts
I second the clay bar advice. First time I used clay I was amazed at how much smoother my "smooth" paint was. I can't believe it took me all these years to try it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts