which is better value for the money?<br>
which is more reliable?<br>
<br>
thanks! :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
my son has a 1999 c43 and i have a 1997 c36 so i have driven both and so has he.... he likes his becuase it is a v8 & little quicker and he says sounds better and the v8 engine is a little lighter than the six.... but drive them both and decide... i prefer the c36 why? look at the two cars the 97 has the small chrome strip which the c43 doesn't... i have mine lowered with h&r springs and my son's c43 rear sits a little high...i think the six is smoother coming on than the v8 because of the sixes longer crankshaft.. also the 97 c36's are relative inexpensive compared to the c43 and the 97 has the same 5 speed trans.. bob

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: superior car.. 1997 C36 or 1998/99 C43????

Thanks for the response.<br> thats great info you gave me.<br> certainly, if i were to go for a C36 it'll be a '97 car. the question i have to decide on is whether it is worth it to pay more for a C43 vs. C36. performance is so close.<br> <br> If possible, can i give you a call to discuss further? thanks!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Re: superior car.. 1997 C36 or 1998/99 C43????

C43 bodykit looks better and has no ugly chrome strips, C43 have factory HID Xenon lights, C43 has that awesome V8 rumble!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No comparison if you ask me...C43

I drove both back to back, a '97 and '99, and you can't beat the C43's motor for torquey punch and awesome sound. I bought the C43.<br> <br> That was then and this is now, however, and I'm picking up a new M3 this month. Walden, if you decide to go for a C43, I will have an excellent one for sale in the near future. Silver/black, all options except phone, 27k miles, located in Southern California. E-mail me if you are interested.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Both cars are nice

I love them both, but I think that the c43 is one of the best looking mercedes ever made. The c36 is a legend, but c43 is a bit newer.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am interested but here is my situation...

Hi Ed...<br> i have a 1999 CLK430 that i would like to sell before i get the C43. It only has 15K miles and i did a Carlsson stage 1 upgrade to it. about $6K in mods from an authorized Carlsson shop. Once i sell it...or maybe find a MB that can get creative in acting as a broker agent between your car and my car. i know that my 15K mile CLK430 has somewhat of a higher value in the used car market than a 27K mile '99 C43. if a private buyer comes along, he can have his choice of me changing the car back to stock or keep the carlsson upgrade. any ideas? you can call me if you want. i am currently looking for a silver or red '99 C43.<br> <br> thanks! 917-952-5033

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
See! even clk drivers love c43!

That cool guy has a carlson clk430 w/ stage 1 on it and he wants to get a c43! dayum. <p>hst-4398-w.sm4-5.reshall.calpoly.edu

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C43!! I drove both back to back and there is no comparison! I bought the C43 and walked away from the C36...<p>proxy1-external.salem1.or.home.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In defense of the c36, I have driven both, and I decided for the c36. personally, I was dissapointed the V8 was only a little faster than the c36, albeit the c43 had more HP and torque. I agree, the V8 rumble is sweet, but in no way is the I6 AMG a timid sounding engine! It's pretty pointless to debate which one is SUPERIOR as there will always be pro's con's for either...they are two different cars...not the fairest comparison.<br> <br> IMO the c36 bodykit looks better, more agressive, more meaner. The c43, although very sleek and inline with the current cars, looks more reserved. The c36 just looks more race-oriented than the c43...and the square exhaust tips...classic AMG.<br> <br> Also, I like the fact the c36 series was really worked by AMG...much how they have always worked their engines. It seems there was more hand tooling with the I6 AMG engine than the V8. It seems the 97 AMG was the last year before MB and AMG jointly worked on the AMG series, and IMO the 98+ models are not the same as what you would expect from AMG as an independent.<br> <br> Handling wise I found the c43 to understeer much more heavily than the c36. Granted the V8 is supposed to be lighter, the c43 just plowed more than the c36. In comparision, the c36 is a bit more neutral with a bias towards slight understeer, followed by a bit of oversteer that is easily corrected. Both exhibit terrible bump steer on the rear-end however...<br> <br> c43 has awesome torque exiting corners, c36 is lesser, but not by much. High speed torque...hands down the c43 wins. However, if you find yourself a streetlight drag, both cars are impressive...I don;t find myself passing people too often at 80mph, and the c36 is perfectly fine for me...maybe in europe the c43 would really be ideal, but here in the US there are things called speed limits ;)<br> <br> I am not a fan of the daimler/chrysler union, and the 'autostick' shifting on the newer benzes turns me off. I LIKE the Mercedes gated shifter. <br> <br> I LIKE the c43 guages more than the c36...white is cool, but I WISH the ////AMG logo on the speedo was backlit as well...like a RUF...bummer.<br> <br> Between the two, you really can't loose if you desire an AMG. Best advice is to take everyone's opinions with a grain of salt, and see which one is better for YOU. Originally I was set on getting a c43, but after test-driving both, I decided for the c36...<br> <br> For me, it was the 'raw' feeling the c36 has...more like a beast that is srammed inside a business suit. The c43 was like a professional bodybuilder in a business suit...<br> <br> Not to knock the c43, I would like to have one as well :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts