Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I sent out my spare, unported, M45 for some upgrades. Some talk about boost gauges and boost readings here on the board which promts me to speak up. All stuff well and good but the info is for OEM blowers and does not take into account the new tech stuff blower vendors are using with great results. Funny how my ported M45 was making 11.4 psi at the intake manifold so there must be some merit into what I am about to talk about. Much theroy around here but so little real live R&D.

These are the mods being done to my M45 as we speak and I will report back once I have it and put that sucker into the car. Give me 2 weeks.

1) "S" porting. Shaves down the inner casing and allows less restriction for the air to pass so it allows for more, cooler CFM which is how we evaluate blower effeicency. It is not about how fast we can spin a roots style bower but how cool we can make the air and THEN it is all about spinning it faster than OEM specs call for. For the un educated the M45 and the M62 used in our 230's are both 3rd gen. and the results will be even more dramatic than the 4th and 5th gen blowers having the same mods done. Porting allows the blowers to be spun at a much higher RPM range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the whole key and why this procedure is now done in the design phases at Eaton and was incorporated into all 4th gen blowers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) Rotor coating. The rotors in our blowers have the old teflon coating. Now it is standard to have the rotors coated in an abradable coating. Not only will my rotors be coated in the abrabdable coating but the really larger clearance gaps will almost be eliminated by re-pinning the rotors to the ends of the casings.

3) Outter casing coated in a thermal dispensing coating which allows the blower to get rid of the heat much faster and prevent blower heat soak. Same idea with the intercooler. I am also going to have the one piece, inlet/outlet part, coated as well. In addittion I am having my OEM cast iron header, down pipe, and OEM header heat shield coated with a very high heat ceramic coating. The whole idea here is to get the hot exhaust gases out of the engine bay ASAP and since the blowers are mounted right by our superchargers it makes a whole lot of sense.

4) Class 5 bearings which allows the blower rpms to be increased a lot. I am also having the drive shaft seal replaced with a high peformance seal for the higher rpms.

5) Inner casing. It has yet to be determined if the M45 will benifit from this. The M62 does not benifit from this upgrade but on a 3rd gen M90 used in the t-birds it was good for a 10-15 bhgp gain. It reduces the clearances between the rotors and the casing.

6) The OEM M45 blower pulley is 2.75" and with the snout milled down it can accept a 2.65" pulley. This is only a 4% increase but with that 4% being a much more cooler charge from a much more efficent blower it shoud really help.

I may be forgetting some stuff but the jist of it is listed here. Now onto my intercooler plans. Suffice it to say I plan on trying an intercooler upgrade that has not been done with our cars period and will result in a zero pressure loss vs OEM intercooler. Since there are so many critics here who do jack shit for real mods I will just keep the details private.

Since the key to making more real usable power lies with the blowers it should be interesting to see how it all unfolds. Get those high temps down at the higher RPM.s and this is how we can really exploit what we have. Photo is for Linh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last dyno was 205rwhp and 218rwlbs. Next and last stop is 220rwhp and 230rwlbs which I think is about as good as it gets modifying OEM parts. The dyno sheets never lie!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
02 - 32 (Stock); 99 SLK230 (RIP); 81 CJ7 (Fully MOD)
399 Posts
M45 vs M62

M45 is a smaller SC compare to M62 (not much, but can be noticeable). Looking at their drawings, both inlets are of the same size. The outlet is bigger in M62, only by 1.5"x4". I believe the pre-FL uses the M62 with electronic clutch for engagement. The post-FL uses M45 w/o the clutch. Some people are saying that M45 is used after because of a better bearing design, preventing the use of e-clutch (anyone welcomes to correct me here).

I know Steve is more knowledgeable in these SC, since he's been getting his hands dirty & do more research on the 230K Mods. He has good results too on the mods! :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320 auto, 2006 CLS320 CDi.
420 Posts
Good luck with the next round of mods Steve...ok so most of the tech stuff goes way over my head and isn't that applicable to the 320 but I can't help but admire your determination...role on the next 2 weeks:thumbsup:

G

·
The dyno sheets never lie!!!

Actually, not all "dyno sheets" !! The operators can give you a dyno chart how ever you like it.:thumbsup: I'm 99.9% sure that you will lost some hp if you just install those injectors without any ECU tuning with your current mods. I've seen it all regarding how the car run with A/F ratio in the lean - rich columm. Btw, so what happen to the "RC" injectors brand?

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Linh, you and Buellwinkle tried changing the fuel stages but you never even flow tested the OEM injectors let alone try larger injectors that were within the OBD2 systems ablity to adapt to. So how can you make such claims based upon your expierences with your SLK230 when you never tried them yourself.

I never mentioned to you or anyone I ever considered using RC Engineering injectors. How is it any injector vendor worth his "salt' says any OBD 2 system can handle larger injectors up to a 15% to 20 % increase and still maintain a good idle. What is the Mercedes tuning achilles heal, the EMS, is also its strong suit. Going from 295cc injectors and increasing the size 10% is hardly a major % upgrade. If in fact the car runs rough I will have no choice but to utilize a dyno ECU session. I am using the same fuel injector vendor Rasoul used and with no problems. Better to use a smaller vendor for more personal service. Did you ever try and modify the M62 in your car. Thats right. Its been a few years now, say about 5-7 years and the tech. has changed so there you go again. Giving out advice based upon mods you never did.

Dynos can be manipulated in many ways but if the same company and the same machine and operator are used under the same conditions then I think the dyno will provide the car owner reliable feedback. I guess if one wants to posts dynos just to show off then you are right but I post dyno sheets for constructive feedback and hence the words "dyno's do not lie"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now where is that C63???????????????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts