Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I have tried to search this forum for this answer but I just cant seem to get the answer I need. I need to refil my SC oil and I wounder what oil I should use. I dont have time to wait for a special eaton SC oil, are there any alternativ? 0-30w?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The oil isn't normally changed, it's a one shot deal, so finding that data may be hard to do.

Without good information, I would go with a heavy weight synthetic like Mobil 1 (or similar) in 15w-50.
The blower will get quite hot, so you want something that will not get too thin and run off. Do not over fill the cavity.

I'm sure others will chime in with other opinions.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Eaton recommends 100,000 mile before a change.
On other BB's chaps using this type of SC on TRD's, Minis, GMs etc seem to change out every 30,000 or so.
I have checked mine and its still clear. (smells like Poo but :()
Im guessing like other MB recommendations its prob sealed for life which as we know means the life of the unit. Even though mine looks clean I am going to change it as wear particles are sometimes not visible. The gears at the front and the 4 bearings will most certainly have put some particles in the oil.
When I do mine I will post up a guide.
Here a local SC shop sells Motul synthetic gear oil as a replacement or 1st fill. Bruces recommendation would prob be similar and OK, some peeps use Castrol sythetic.

You can get SC oil from TRD (toyota) GM or BMW as well as Magnuson, Eaton etc.
You have to remove SC to check and or replace oil or it will run out when you undo the fill plug as SC is mounted on an angle in relation to filler plug on the 230.
I think it takes 4oz. but im not sure, just put back what you take out. You can put car on an angle and suck old oil out if you are adventurous.
Pulley Boys - Supercharger Oil

·
Registered
'01 SLK230 Kompressor, '95 C280, '98 BMW 528i, '86 BMW M635CSi EURO, '87 190E 2.3-16
441 Posts
Bazzle, you don't have any pictures of location of SC filler plug on post-FL cars by any chance?

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I removed my blower duo to my new modified blower: I thougth it was sent Monday the 21th of April but when I got the tracking number it left USA the 1 of Mai so it will take a while before it arrives so I just installed my own one back until it comes. I had a look at the oil at it was dark and like Bazzle said, it smelled like poo so I drained it. I refilled it with some 5-40w oil I had, it was either that or 75-80w and I filled it up close to the beginning of the threads of the filling plug. I know it's not the best but I had no way to get the oil I needed and I needed to remiove the car yesterday.

I'm just gonna use it for 1-2 weeks until my new blower comes, thanks for the help.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Bazzle, you don't have any pictures of location of SC filler plug on post-FL cars by any chance?
Im guessing same as pre just no nose?? Check eatons site for pix??

Pre pic here , filler is the plug with blue paint

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 MB SLK 230
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I should have used 75-80w oil? The oil in the SC was thin and the 75-80w was very thick so I thougt that it was best with the 5-40w. Well well, we'll see.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I might add here that in most "normal" installations that the oil level should come up to at least half way up the lowest bearing shaft or as in Bazzle's first pic halfway up the lower gear.
The oil will get thrown all around the cavity once the gears start turning.

By the way Bazzle, that's one nasty looking gear case........... :eek:

·
Registered
'01 SLK230 Kompressor, '95 C280, '98 BMW 528i, '86 BMW M635CSi EURO, '87 190E 2.3-16
441 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, Bazzle!
I'll see if I can find some SC oil locally and try to do mine.

·
Registered
Golf R32 / Prev R170 SLK
6,821 Posts
Yes the SC on the 32 has an oil reservoir at the front, it lubes the gears and the front rotor bearings. I believe the rear bearings are sealed for life with a special grease.

Do a search under google, lots of info there :) also under the C32 forums here and on MBworld

·
Registered
2003 SLK32 AMG
101 Posts
Yes the SC on the 32 has an oil reservoir at the front, it lubes the gears and the front rotor bearings. I believe the rear bearings are sealed for life with a special grease.

Do a search under google, lots of info there :) also under the C32 forums here and on MBworld
Thanks Baz. Will hunt around.

·
Registered
2002 Buick Regal LSX; 2000 SLK 230
51 Posts
My daily driver is a Buick Regal, they have Eaton M90's and GM says that the SC oil should be changed every 35k miles. They sell the oil at the dealership, its $15 a bottle. I just looked at mine, and unfortunately its a GM branded bottle, and just says for all supercharged cars, it doesn't mention the weight of the oil...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts