Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Supercharger - Has anyone installed a supercharger on their CLK430 or CLK55 - read more

I want to put a supercharger on my CLK430. I know the car has a single line fuel system and OBDII. These two factors lead me to believe that anyone who is selling a supercharger system and no EMS/ECU mods has not done their homework.<br>
<br>
This car always trys to run 14.7:1 (stoich). This leads anyone I have talked to to believe this car will lean out and detonate on boost without any ECU mods or run dangerously close to doing so. Piston/valve damage shortly follows.<br>
<br>
I have a real hard time believing that a stock CLK430 can pull over 400 hp with only bolting on a supercharger. <br>
<br>
ANYBODY with any information regarding their experience with supercharging their car will be much appreciatted. <br>
<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Supercharger - Has anyone installed a supercharger on their CLK430 or CLK55 - read more

There is no way you can bolt on a system and not grenade the motor without doing such things as a 'O' ringing the heads and using special gaskets etc. As you point out these motors aren't designed to deal with these kind of stresses. People only need to look at superchargers on High performance engines and the 4 bolt mains etc are all part of it. <br> <br> I am told in town that it would cost about $20000.00 US to do the job properly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: Supercharger - Has anyone installed a supercharger on their CLK430 or CLK55 - read more

I agree that this installation will cost some serious coin. It's the nature of the beast when you mention Mercedes performance. You can install a turbo or supercharger if you like. A mild amount of boost will not harm your engine. These engines are built to handle a lot more horsepower than they are rated for. If you consistently drive your car like your angry at it then it will not last long even as a stock motor. I would definitely have a professional do the installation and only from a top quality shop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree Stephen...I don't know what the engine compression ratio for the CLK 430 is...but if is....

<br> less then 10.0:1. You can have a bolt on kit running only 5-6 psi. Most kit that only run 6 psi does not require intercooler or reprogram the ECU, but it does require upgrading the fuel pump or a higher rate injector. This kindna kit is very popular today because of the OBD 2 ECU are so difficult to re-program. The only bad thing is that now, you are asking parts to run at it MAX. So the parts will wear out faster and reliable is a BIG question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kleemann has been supercharging benzes for years...

Just because you are increasing HP by 50% does not mean that you are increasing the stress on the motor by 50%. There is a difference between running 7psi with a centrifugal supercharger and a screw-type supercharger. The screwtype is much more efficient at keeping the boost constant and therefore will create more power than a centrifugal. 7psi at 10.5:1 compression won't harm the motor in any way whatsoever. If it was, then Kleemann would be out of business, right?

·
Registered
2002 430clk;2005 Yamaha YZF R1;08 Range Rover Sport
1,292 Posts
blackbenzz said:
You just posted on a thread thats nearly 7 years old! Congrats, I think you have the record for bumping the oldest thread!!!
ha ha ha yup, this is pretty old

·
Registered
Slow benz
1,961 Posts
Hary Gahtoe said:
What about 2 of these running at less than 8 psi? They are small and more efficient than a Roots or Whipple screw type. The best part is they don't sound like a cat is stuck in the air intake.
Wheel to Wheel Powertrain - Rotrex units and pullies
You cant hear the Kleemann supercharger whine at all. We're not talking about a Kenne Bell Cobra at 15+PSI

·
Registered
93' -600SL -/- 91'-500SL- Albrex Supercharger-Written Off :(
204 Posts
blackbenzz said:
You just posted on a thread thats nearly 7 years old! Congrats, I think you have the record for bumping the oldest thread!!!
lol.... Sorry new to forms.. Period.

J

·
Registered
37 Posts
for the price of any of the blowers ive seen for these cars, you could spend half and build your own turbo kit, be unique, and make gobs of torque and more hp-it is NOT hard.

superchargers are just not as cool as they used to be, and frankly any boosted v8 that doesnt make 450 to the wheel on pump gas is extremely lame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts