Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am changing my exhaust system, I'm ready to order a set or 2 of Supercharged Sec's custom headers. Anyone else interested? As they are custom made and a group buy would probably be best financially and time-wise for his fabricater. These headers significantly improve performance, and obviously would be a great help if any of us go the supercharged route, which I am thinking about.

As a side question, if you are reading-Supercharged Sec, I seem to remember a mbcoupes member who was trying to sell your supercharger system, as it didn't seem to run right on his car. Any insight?

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
i would, but i am purchasing the sebring exhaust from the guy in germany, plus my engine is a 420 how does the rear muffler exhaust sound mrtikket? i took off my center resonators, will it sound better? i could not get the price of the muffler down. he is still asking 700usd, is that a good price. could this muffler be found here in the states? i couldn't find it in california...

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
MRTIKKET - 4/13/2005 9:45 PM

As I am changing my exhaust system, I'm ready to order a set or 2 of Supercharged Sec's custom headers. Anyone else interested? As they are custom made and a group buy would probably be best financially and time-wise for his fabricater. These headers significantly improve performance, and obviously would be a great help if any of us go the supercharged route, which I am thinking about.

As a side question, if you are reading-Supercharged Sec, I seem to remember a mbcoupes member who was trying to sell your supercharger system, as it didn't seem to run right on his car. Any insight?
Are these the same as the ones Jonathon installed on his car? If so I might be interested but I need a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't installed the Sebring yet. Cyberdrakon has one on his car. I've heard them before and they sound pretty deep to me. A nice rumble. These were the original AMG muffler. With the heasers, should sound cool, but really add a little hp, and a fair amount of torque also.

The headers can be seen under the supercharging thread, not the MB Euro factory headers that Jonathon jas. These go for about $1500 a set.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
i don't think the 560/500 headers will fit on a 420.

i beleive Supercharged sold his OLD system, similar to the TDI/Aibrex system.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
tikket, does your 500's manifolds go into one pre-cat, then cat, then resonator, then muffler? i think the 500s exhaust is a different setup than the 560s. not hard to change if it is different just alot more piping and hangers.

duals right to the back is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
amgbnz - 4/14/2005 8:09 AM

tikket, does your 500's manifolds go into one pre-cat, then cat, then resonator, then muffler? i think the 500s exhaust is a different setup than the 560s. not hard to change if it is different just alot more piping and hangers.

duals right to the back is the way to go.
I'm not sure of my setup. It is a stock U.S. spec. 1985 500SEC. I plan on starting fresh, w/Supercharged SEC's headers going into duals all the way back. I am going to a legendary Chicago muffler shop that has all the free flowing cats etc. if they recommend them. It will be stainless all the way back.

·
Registered
W126C AMG 6.0
846 Posts
You'll need custom downpipes to fit the headers. I know Timevalve makes the euro-style downpipes to fit the 2-peice euro manifolds, but I don't think these will work with the custom headers. Have to see what Supercharged did for his downpipes. I guess custom wouldn't be a big deal. The Sebring will sound great without the resonators and even better with the headers. These headers are for the M117 block, only 500/560 will fit them. My old setup was AMG headers, no resonators, and Sebring muffler. Sounded like its supposed to sound. As far as catalytic converters, do you have to pass emissions? I don't think those "hi-flow" cats they sell at muffler shops are very effective, especially for these engines. Usually you need good 3-stage cats to get the job done if you are running a free-flowing exhaust, unless your mechanic will 'pre-emission-tune' your car for you. AMG and RennTech used V8 Porsche catalysts. As for finding the Sebring setup in the U.S., I'm sure there are some buried in parts rooms, but I wouldn't count on one showing up out of the blue. I bought 2 last time I saw them, both brand new, for a smokin' deal. Gave one to my father-in-law, used the other and then sold it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked forever in the states for a Sebring with no luck. This guy in Germany seems to have access to a few more. I purchased two from him, a little pricey but you know how supply and demand goes. by downpipes, do you mean after the headers? As the headers take the place of the manifolds, everything else will be fabricated out of stainless.

Yes, we have testing in Illinois, I don't think it will be a problem as the exhaust shop probably deals with passing tthe tests alot. If not, I'll register the car in a state w/no testing.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The euros are less restrictive exhaust manifolds, not really headers. However, they areless expensive than the custom headers. The custom headers are around $1500 and I believe that the euro exhaust manifolds can be had for about a 1/3 of that.

·
Registered
Widebody SEC
774 Posts
i had an aftermarket universal free-flow cat on my 500 for years, passed emmissions easily, and i have 300,000km on the engine.

as long as the muffler shop who installs the cat also does the test then they will chose the right one to pass.

i'd like to get a set of headers also but i want to do an engine rebuild or swap first. that will take time.

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Don't laugh but JCWhitney has a metal substrate cat at an amazing price. http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2009549/c-10101/p-2009549/Ne-600001717/N-111+10201+600001717/tf-Browse/sct-body/s-10101/th-StoreCatalogDisplay/ss-10101

1 - 13 of 13 Posts