Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,463 Posts
Hello, mate
Never said any thing about off the shelf. And I know damn sure nothing is ready off the shelf for these engines.
Since I have the charger already, the braket will cost around a hundred. A second hand Intercooler with some piping with needed brakets is another hundred. AEM FIC is what.? 500-600 dollars. And the ev6 24lb injectors are 80 dollars for the whole set of 8 injectors off of a mustang. It totals around 900 bucks. Let it all add up to1200$ with the fuel regulator and pump. and Iam still happily going to supercharge this thing.
Map it all out, take pictures, list all the parts...put it on dynamometer, show the results and we'll hail you as the new king!

Kevin

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,558 Posts
have fun programming your custom ECU to run this thing.
He's got everything figured out except this one very important detail. :rolleyes.

Aftermarket can solve that, i guess, but then he's got to program the cam switchover and intake runner switchover, besides spark, fuel and anti knock, and make them play nice with a supercharger.

Godspeed big fella. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,229 Posts
Not sure he could even use the stock plastic intake manifold with a blower.... And under boost, not sure the runner length switchover even makes sense.

The cam advance happens at a fixed rpm, doesn't it? That should be simple enough... I dunno if that requires any modifications to the injection or ignition timing.

Will this use a LH style MAF, or a Chrysler/Regina style MAP ? Guessing it's easier to precompute an approximate fuel map with a MAF, then refine it with an exhaust gas meter on the dyno stand. Big engineering job no matter how you cut it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
NOW we are talking.
These are the kind if technical issues I need to know about.

The plastic intake can take 15 psi or 1 bar no problem.

The AEM FIC will control fuel and spark retard if needed it also can read MAP "built in sensor" and can read oxygen sensor. But iam not sure if it can control cam solonoid.
All remaining engine functions will still be handled by the stock ecu without knowing the piggyback is there.

These "things" have been tuned, modified and tested beyond thier know limits and haven proven to be trusty.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,558 Posts
We know all that. The people who've done so have had the knowledge and/ or the money to do so.

You're starting with a $1000 budget and crowd sourcing information. That's ... an auspicious start. I'm not saying it can't be done but if I have to roll a ball up a hill I prefer the hill or the ball OR BOTH to be small.

Good luck.

NOW we are talking.
These are the kind if technical issues I need to know about.

The plastic intake can take 15psi or 1bar to problem.

The AEM FIC will control fuel and spark retard if needed it also can read map "built in sensor" and can read oxygen sensor. But iam not sure if it can control cam solenoid.
All remaining engine functions will still be handled by the stock ecu without knowing the piggyback is there.

These "thing" have been tuned, modified and tested beyond thier know limits and haven proven to be trusty.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,495 Posts
And if the choice is cheap and reliable, then looks like it's going to be a Honda for the win.

·
Outstanding Contributor , SDS Guru
1998 MB E300TD, 1997 MB E36 AMG, 2001 MB E55 AMG
4,086 Posts
Whew, you guys are brutal. While I do agree that it is quite difficult, I'm sorta excited to see if he can actually do it.

I'm researching a manual transmission conversion on a E55, and just the parts alone (most were used) is putting me at well above $1500.... And that's a very low end estimate.

I'll be happy to see if he can do it, and if he can, I can do a SC conversion on my E36 too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Wow, talk about a group of supportive people.

Well, i do understand the challenge. And i understand that i have to increase my budget. But I really want to try my best to do it for a grand or 1500 usd max.

I understand some of benz owners treat thier cars religiously by the book. And I admire that.
But for me I like to stretch the ability of my car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Whew, you guys are brutal. While I do agree that it is quite difficult, I'm sorta excited to see if he can actually do it.

I'm researching a manual transmission conversion on a E55, and just the parts alone (most were used) is putting me at well above $1500.... And that's a very low end estimate.

I'll be happy to see if he can do it, and if he can, I can do a SC conversion on my E36 too.
I read in many threads that the E36 cylinder walls are thinner than 320 cylinder's due to boring for the needed displacement. That is one of the reasons the 320 cylinder is preferred for the boosted application. The 300-24 is the number one choice for boost due to the low compression ratio. But you will have to start off by EFI conversion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Not sure he could even use the stock plastic intake manifold with a blower.... And under boost, not sure the runner length switchover even makes sense.

The cam advance happens at a fixed rpm, doesn't it? That should be simple enough... I dunno if that requires any modifications to the injection or ignition timing.

Will this use a LH style MAF, or a Chrysler/Regina style MAP ?
Can you elaborate on the Chrysler map thing?

·
Premium Member
1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1993 300CE Cabrio, needs some TLC
7,229 Posts
MAP are Manifold Air Pressure sensors, and are used by some EFI systems instead of Mass Air Flow meters. MAP based systems typically have a potentiometer on the throttle position, and the MAP sensor, and calculate the air flow based on vacuum and throttle position so they can compute how much fuel to squirt in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Iam familiar with both systems actually.
But my question was about this
"Will this use a LH style MAF, or a Chrysler/Regina style MAP ?"

Is there a Chrysler derived system with a map instead of a maf for our engines?

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
there's no standard system suitable for a supercharger setup, you'll be rolling your own with something like a megasquirt ECM. The stock system on the M104 uses a hot film (HFM), which is similar to hot wire (LH).

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,558 Posts
MAP are Manifold Air Pressure sensors, and are used by some EFI systems instead of Mass Air Flow meters. MAP based systems typically have a potentiometer on the throttle position, and the MAP sensor, and calculate the air flow based on vacuum and throttle position so they can compute how much fuel to squirt in.
No can do with supercharger. Well, actually, he can, but not with that budget.

He'll need an MAF system, which, fortunately, he's already got.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
The stock hfm and ecm won't handle the additional air-fuel mapping that a charge boost puts on the system, will it? I would expect a turbo or super charged system to need higher flow injectors and a fuel/air/ignition map that covers a wider range of conditions.

Most production boosted engines have lower compression ratios, too, often implemented via a thicker head gasket.

Lotta engineering involved.

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,430 Posts
With the OP using a little SC14 supercharger, his engine is not in any real danger. Think they only put out 7psi of boost, slightly more with a different pulley, but not in danger detonation territory, or burning holes in the pistons from running lean.

·
Premium Member
7,229 Posts
+7 psi is still 50% more air than stock, you need 50% more fuel too. My Volvo turbo wagons didn't have much more peak boost than that, getting 160 HP and 200 ft lbs from a 2.3L 4 cyl with nearly full torque at 1500 RPM

21 - 39 of 39 Posts