Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ,

I was looking through the web and came across many threads where valuable info regarding boosting 104s.

but any bit of info will be a great help in my very low budget boosting quest.

I have a m104.992 I believe from a w210 retrofit to a 300e that used to have an m103.
Currently m104 bolted to a Getrag 5 speed from a 2.3-16 190E.
Any way,regarding the supercharger part. I have an SC14 from a Toyota 1gze laying around and currently I am thinking about bolting it to my engine.i am thinking AEM FI/C 6 for fuel and spark management.and planning to run at max 8 PSI.and planning to get custom long tube equal length headers made.
So,here are my main points where I have 0 knowledge.

1- bigger injectors. Do I really need them at 8psi? What bigger injectors will bolt right in? I have the green injectors on right now that came with the engine and I have a rail with a set of red ones, I read Some where they are 200 CC.does that make any difference?or do I Still need to go bigger?
2- fuel pump and regulator.I am assuming that is going to be needed? Right?
3-what about vacuum auxiliaries and controls in the engine bay? Do I have to worry about that? How to over come?
4-will the 1.4 L SC14 be adequate ? Should I look for an Eaton M62? Knowing the M62 is only 1 L will it be able to boost the 3.2 L engine to 8 psi without generating too much heat? or even cooking/over revving the SC itself?

Well,these are the question I have on my mind now.
I would really appreciate any help.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
17,048 Posts
Hello ,

I was looking through the web and came across many threads where valuable info regarding boosting 104s.

but any bit of info will be a great help in my very low budget boosting quest.
This is going to be your biggest issue. These cars simply cannot be modified on the cheap.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Well, let's get to the coconut. In other words, how much money do you have to spend on this project?

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Forget it. Without adding another 0 to the budget, this project will never make it past the dream stage.

Just enjoy the car for what it is in its purest form.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forget it. Without adding another 0 to the budget, this project will never make it past the dream stage.

Just enjoy the car for what it is in its purest form.
well,while I understand our cars aren't as easy as other tuner friendly cars, I am looking for a more positive feedback.
i can't see why it should cost me 10 grand when the Supercharger is available , piping and Inter-cooler are cheaply available,fuel pump and regulator are inexpensive and the AEM FI/C6 is around 500 bucks.and I will do most of the work my self with the help of my handy friends .

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
While you may be looking for the answer you want to hear, I gave you the realistic answer you need to hear.

When it comes to modding MBs nothing is cheap. Generally speaking, 1K USD is basically just enough to tick the "miscellaneous" checkbox.

Of course, if you get free labor and/or parts that goes a long way BUT don't assume that modding a MB is as simple as modding a Honda.

Here is a link of somebody who did a supercharger on a M104. The supercharger alone was $1900

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,972 Posts
where do you even squeeze an intercooler in on a 320 ? and the exhaust plumbing ?

get it all working, and blam, there goes your head gasket. or transmission. or differential.

sigh, that peachparts thread, the guy's photo site seems to be offline.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where do you even squeeze an intercooler in on a 320 ? and the exhaust plumbing ?

get it all working, and blam, there goes your head gasket. or transmission. or differential.

sigh, that peachparts thread, the guy's photo site seems to be offline.
The intercooler is planned to go in the front bumper below. I have amg gen 2 kit on with much more space behind it that you would generally have in a standard bumper.
I know the getrag is rated at 350hp max. Which belive will not be easily reached with my setup.
The head gasket is known to be able to handle some boost ok.
The diff and axels are trusty enough.

·
Registered
1995 e320ce. 1993 230 TE. 1987 Kit car with 260e running gear.
660 Posts
A w210 intercooler will fit. I have one in my 300td conversion. The only thing needing removed to make space is the towing eye.
The intercooler is only just visible in the photo of left side front.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,972 Posts
i can't see why it should cost me 10 grand when the Supercharger is available , piping and Inter-cooler are cheaply available...
I've never heard of any off the shelf turbocharger exhaust manifolds for a M104. the stock exhaust is a pair of 3-into-1s, and dual downpipes through the cats and into the first muffler. to fit a turbocharger, you'll need a custom 6-into-1 manifold, and 1 into 2 downpipe unless you also plan on replacing the cats and first muffler too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never heard of any off the shelf turbocharger exhaust manifolds for a M104. the stock exhaust is a pair of 3-into-1s, and dual downpipes through the cats and into the first muffler. to fit a turbocharger, you'll need a custom 6-into-1 manifold, and 1 into 2 downpipe unless you also plan on replacing the cats and first muffler too.
Supercharger, my friend. Custome long tube equal length headers are also planned. For more power and to allow the sc fitment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
after reading for a little more, I found Out EV6 Injectors from Ford Mustangs will fit our Fuel Rail and Provide more fuel.
combined with better pump and a raising Pressure Fuel Regulator with the larger injectors i think I am gonna be alright in this department.

my main issue now is narrowed down to the Super charger. Either go with the SC14 on hand or get an Eaton m62 Unit.
I read that the Eaton units with their twin Screw design is much better because of much less heat generated.compared to the straight flaps counter rotating in the SC14.

the thing is , will the 1L Eaton M62 be Enough to boost 6-8 PSI safely and continuously ?

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,242 Posts
There is nothing off the shelf...you're going to have to map out everything. Even if you could assemble all the parts, it will cost more than $1,000. I don't know how you think you can supercharge one of these cars on the cheap. If you're asking questions about the Eaton, you should be talking to one of their techs.

Only help we can give you here is if someone else has done this within your budget parameters. And so far, I don't see any takers.

Kevin

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There is nothing off the shelf...you're going to have to map out everything. Even if you could assemble all the parts, it will cost more than $1,000. I don't know how you think you can supercharge one of these cars on the cheap. If you're asking questions about the Eaton, you should be talking to one of their techs.

Only help we can give you here is if someone else has done this within your budget parameters. And so far, I don't see any takers.

Kevin
Hello, mate
Never said any thing about off the shelf. And I know damn sure nothing is ready off the shelf for these engines.
Since I have the charger already, the braket will cost around a hundred. A second hand Intercooler with some piping with needed brakets is another hundred. AEM FIC is what.? 500-600 dollars. And the ev6 24lb injectors are 80 dollars for the whole set of 8 injectors off of a mustang. It totals around 900 bucks. Let it all add up to1200$ with the fuel regulator and pump. and Iam still happily going to supercharge this thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts