Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Euro 560 SEC AMG
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 560 SEC and the exhaust system needs to be replaced. Eventually, I would like to get my car supercharged and other modifications done through TDI. So, given the fact that I will most likely be getting my car supercharged at some point, what sort of exhaust system setup should I get now so that my car will be able to handle the increased HP. Should I get the headers replaced along with the exhaust, mufflers, and catalytic converter? Is it possible to have two mufflers on the back of a 560 SEC? If the spare tire well was removed, it seems like there would be space to accomodate all the exhaust pipes and equipment there. I think it would look really hot to have 2 exhaust pipes on either side of the car, but maybe thats not even a possibility. You guys tell me, what should I do now to later accomodate a huge increase in HP?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
There's a member thata knowledgable in field by the name of "supercharged SEC". You can PM him to see what he would recommend.

As to removing the spare wheel well, I would advise against doing so. It will affect the crumple zone and/or structural integrity.

·
Registered
Euro 500SEC 1987
21 Posts
I have removed the spare tire well wich made plenty room for my dual exhaust set-up. About crumbling zone's and etc. I would like to think that should I have an accident it would be to the front ;)

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
You don't need to remove the spare tire well to have quad exhaust, just fancier piping. if you do remove the spare tire wheel well, make sure you use heavy plating, and angled away from the gas tank/rear passengers backs.

Removing the spare tire well would also hurt handling, the rear end is too much lighter than the front already. Normally you want the car to be as light as possible, but the engine and front suspension is so heavy, you'd have trouble developing traction.

·
Registered
Euro 500SEC 1987
21 Posts
An easy step to get more traction to the rearend would be to move the battery to the trunk, not only would the front be ligther, the rearend would be heavier you would also get a cleaner engine compartment. And the battery is a lot heavier than the spare tire well so that should even it up or what?

P.S. sorry for my bad english.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I relocated my battery to the trunk. quite easy and makes the engine bay look cleaner.

·
Registered
1983 Euro 500SEC AMG, 83 SEC custom convertible, 2x 84 500SEC, 02 w203coupe, euro 1985 300d
1,579 Posts
When i was redoing my exhaust from my euro barrel headers back i had 2.5 inch dual, no kat all the way back at factory location to a oversize Brabus exhaust (muffler) from the 32 valve 500 engine of the 90s---

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts