Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to jump start the CLS and the stereo fuses blew and after replacing them, everything is back to normal except the rear sunshade.

After I jump started the car, the stereo did not work, but I was able to extend the rear sunshade to test it. Now it will not retract back. I took it to the dealer and they said that they can hear the motor, but the shade is not going down. Also, they checked the fuses and they look fine.

They said that they need to replace the entire sunshade and it will cost $2,000 parts and labor.

Is there anyway to retrack the shade manually? Also, would anyone have a DIY how to replace the sunshade? Parts.com sells that part for $1,062 plus shipping part # 2198100020.

Auto Parts - Parts.com, For Every Part of Your Life

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, it seems that you need to pull the rear seats and then the back rests and there are two pins in front that need come out. Then you can get to the roller blilnd.

Does anyone know how to take out the seat out?

Thanks,

·
Registered
W201 190E 09/1992 & C219 CLS 500 01/2005 & W202 C250TD 10/1997(Sold) & R129 300SL24 09/1989
73 Posts
Hello,

Did you try to ask someone to push the switch of the sunshade to activate the motor while you help the 2 Arms to retract ?

To remove the rear seats :
- push the little Button into the hole under the seats, they are at each corner approximatively.
- while pushing this Button, pull firmely to disengage the seat.(L+R)
- open the front armrest, remove the 2 torx screws just behind the mobile phone.
- open the rear compartment (jalousie) remove the little carpet in it, you'll see a #10 bolt.
- unscew this bolt.
- then pull firmely the back of the front armrest, the part that has the ventilation grills.
- you'll see, it's not easy, don't hesitate.
- then you'll be able to remove the rear center console.
- at the bottom of each belts, you'll see a #10 bolts that held some brackets (3 : L - center- R)
- then you pull up the rear seat vertically, to lose the upper brackets just under headrests.
- remove door joints on pillars,
- remove housings on each sides (clips)
- then you'll be able to Access the rear "tablet" where the sunshade is.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Frenchy.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I haven't yet. I was told by the dealer that if you try to push on the arms, the system will break since it is spring loaded. Is this correct?

Thank you for the step by step instructions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So far I was able to get to the head rest. How can you remove those? Do you just unbolt the two screws on each side?

Thank you

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Got the passenger side out by taking the metal pins. Also, got the outside loose on the drivers side as well the left side. There is a small opening on the left inner side where you can see the black lever and I used L shaped hard wire to move it upward.
Once you do that, the lever pushes the spring that holds the head rest and it pops out, no problem. You have to be careful not to jack the lever as it will not pull out the spring and then God help you:)

Almost there. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is my issue. The motor does only go in one direction and after each third push of the button. I tried to pull the fuses to reset the system and no luck. I changed the relay in the trunk and still not luck.

The motor should go in both directions to erect and retract the shade, correct? Has anyone else experienced such a problem?

I am thinking to get a new shade assembly and see if it fixes the problem. The actual motor has a sticker Buhler Motor GmbH 9 929 0 00069 1.61.068.231.02 151/7 DC 13.5V WA 119499.

I dont think that you can buy this motor itself. Would anyone know differently?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
After reading about d.c magnet motors, it says that the Start winding function or communicator of the motor is what makes the motor go in different directions. Since my motor is only running in one direction after every third push of the button, do you think this is due to a faulty motor or the rear SAM does not change the polarity of the current to change the direction of rotation.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Problem solved. Rear SAM and dealer visit. I had the most expensive cup of Starbucks coffee in my life at $850.00 parts and labor. If you ever had an issue with your rear blind being stuck, don't fall to the dealers first pick to replace the blind. Start by checking your fuses and diagnose if power is going from the rear SAM to the unit. The SAM makes the motor go in both directions, not the motor itself. The above link from konigstiger says that if the motor shaft is sticking half inch something is wrong inside in most cases. This is not the case in my situation. The motor was fine, the blind mechanism was fine too eventhough the shaft was sticking out of the motor housing. If you open the gear mechanism, you will have to wind the gears to match the position of the screws while the cover is open by moving the motor shaft with our fingers. I had go back and forth until I was able to match the gears to the position of the crews (initially I marked the original position of the gear housing on the plate). Well, then I had an issue where I could not close the gear cover because the spring was pushing the gear pin on the side and I could not match the upper hole. In order to close the cover, I had to tie a cottom thread on the small gear pin and pull sideways to fit the upper hole.

No wonder someone said that the MB technicians hate to deal with the rear shade.

Thank you all for the help. You all saved me $1,000.00.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts