Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sunroof Wind noise. Deflector?

6823 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  love w123
Fellas, My sunroof when close seats down just a hair too far in the back. THe effect is that the front edge of the sunroof panel stick up slightly above the plane of the roof, which, of course, catches just enough air to drive one crazy inside the car. The quick fix is to tilt the roof ever so slightly in back, but of course you get the natural wind noise that creats, though it is better than the air driving through the small gap in the front. What I want is QUIET like in my 190E 2.6 Is this common? Is there some manual adjustment that I'm missing to line the roof panel back up. Do any of you guy have a wind deflector, and if so, does a universal or factory REALLY make a difference? Holla back, I'm interseted in your opinions.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Show some love on this, guys.

Anyone?

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Hello

Well i might have some suggestion, maybe one of them could help.

First, try playing a tiny bit with the sunroof control button, maybe the issue is caused by that, not closing too far.

second, check if the molding around the sunroof perimeter is loose or missing......

third, i had a similar problem like that with a cadillac seville i used to own, and the solution was that i would gently push the sunroof with my hand up a little in the back and that sealed it much better...

Finally, you can always call the dealer and ask to speak to a service guy,maybe he can advise you..even better if you can drive there and ask the service guy to come and look at it for a sec (maybe he can find a quick fix or at least tell u, what it might be and give u a free estimate...some service guys will fix it for free if its something that might take few minutes of their time)

good luck

ghost

· Registered
1994 W124 E320 1997W140 S320(RIP),1993W140300SE(RIP),2000W208CLK320(RIP) , 1993 W201 190E 2.6 (RIP),
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much. I've been doing the hand thing. I'll call the dealer today....

Thanks much. I've been doing the hand thing. I'll call the dealer today.

· Registered
1983 230 E (sold) , 1991 600 SEL (sold) , 1993 300 SE (sold)
504 Posts
Im sorry for bringing this old thread up from the dead, but The wind noise is getting on my last nerve!!!!!! ill go crazy i swear!!! Im experiencing the same problems like ackvig. Can anybody help?

· Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,334 Posts
first check the condition of the seal, if this is not the case, then undo and back up the headliner from inside, then adjust the 10MM gold nuts (with big washers) to put the panel where it suppose to be...

test the operation of it after you're done, and make sure it does not wedge anywhere...

the service manual will shed more light on the subject in details...

· Registered
504 Posts
Thank you bayhas will let you how it goes. If it works I will have to buy you a beer :)

· Registered
'84 300DT, '97 S320
682 Posts
I have the same problem, only I caused it. A few months ago, I installed a new seal - OEM. Only took me two tries - first time I had waaaay too much seal left to put into place. It was a little tough getting it all to push all the way into place, but I got it -- used some kind of lubricant to assist, and a wooden roller that was hiding in the Play-Dough box. Well, being a new seal, the moonroof panel itself will not push 100% into a level position. It's better now after a couple of months, but I still either give it a gentle nudge upwards in the back, or, put it in the pop-up position, then lower it again - that levels it out. Of course, using my fingers puts less wear on the mechanism. It also puts finger oil on the glass, so I try to just use my fingernail tips, or hold a kleenex while pushing.

Bayhas, I'll try that adjustment you mentioned.

BTW, the wind deflector is the skinniest thing (nothing like my W123, which also needs new sunroof seal"s" - I think it's not one piece), and doesn't pop up much, and the new seal keeps it from going up all the way too, and I have adjusted it somewhat. Because it is able to stick in the down/closed position due to the new seal, I can see what difference there is with it up or down - not much at all. I guess they got the airflow on the 140's right, so they really don't need one.

· Registered
504 Posts
first check the condition of the seal, if this is not the case, then undo and back up the headliner from inside, then adjust the 10MM gold nuts (with big washers) to put the panel where it suppose to be...

test the operation of it after you're done, and make sure it does not wedge anywhere...

the service manual will shed more light on the subject in details...
Bayhas, thank you for your time for answering this, i checked the condition of the seal, its great, even for good measure i sprayed it with rubber conditioner/lubricant. But still the wind noise is coming in.

The thing with the headliner, on my car 300 SE, the headliner moves together with the metal sunroof (i dont have a glass moon roof/sunroof) so i cant get to the 10mm gold nuts. Do i need to take apart the sunroof? Im this close to taking it to the dealer :(

· Premium Member
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,334 Posts
Yes, you need to undo the headliner panel off the metal panel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.