Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the last time I hooked my car to STAR I noticed the only issue that came up was the upper console.. I figured it was because I replaced the battery and hadn't opened the sunroof to calibrate it.. Well yesterday I opened it for the first time and it works fine, but if I press the open switch it opens a little and I hear a click (don't remember if click is as soon as I hit switch or when it stops). I have to keep taking finger off switch and pressing again to get it to go a little each time.. When I close it it closes fine with one press.. I assume this is what STAR was talking about when it said the switch panel was malfunctioning.. Is there anything I can do or do I have to get a new one at the yard/dealer?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just had my battery replaced as well and had to reprogram everything including the sunroof since I was experiencing the exact systems you describe. You have to reprogram the sunroof by pushing the button up and keep pushing for 8-10 seconds. Hope this helps and works for you..

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,865 Posts
cmpcpro,

From the link in the Encyclopedia dealing with RESETS!!:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second. If the pop-up roof simply will not open or close all the way after using this procedure, clean the tracks and lubricate them with the MB lubricant made for the purpose.

The Encyclopedia really is there for a reason.

·
Registered
44 Posts
cmpcpro,

From the link in the Encyclopedia dealing with RESETS!!:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second. If the pop-up roof simply will not open or close all the way after using this procedure, clean the tracks and lubricate them with the MB lubricant made for the purpose.

The Encyclopedia really is there for a reason.
This is great but incomplete , what is direction 3?

Also I've done this procedure 10 times and my sunroof goes to tilt and starts making a grinding noise. Then I hit the control to close it and it does nothing , I hit it 50 more times and finally after pulling the switch every direction by luck I get it to go back down and close.

I think my sunroof switch is broken / malfunctioned because someone pulled on it the wrong way.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Skylaw, I read that. I really do read the encyclopedia.. if you notice my original post I am asking if the symptom I am having is caused by the battery issue.. I assumed the reset was for the key and opening closing windows/sunroof, and assumed something like this would most likely be broken, but wanted to ask.. I was not asking for the directions to reset..

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had my battery replaced as well and had to reprogram everything including the sunroof since I was experiencing the exact systems you describe. You have to reprogram the sunroof by pushing the button up and keep pushing for 8-10 seconds. Hope this helps and works for you..
Thank you! So you were having the issue where you open the roof and it only opens an inch or two at a time?

·
Registered
930 Posts
The inch or two movement problem can be one a lot of things but the most common are:

Track is dirty/needs lubrication. - clean and do the reset procedure
Battery drained/disconnected/changed. - do the reset procedure
Overhead Panel Malfunction. - very rare, change the OHP and then do the reset

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,865 Posts
This is great but incomplete , what is direction 3?

Also I've done this procedure 10 times and my sunroof goes to tilt and starts making a grinding noise. Then I hit the control to close it and it does nothing , I hit it 50 more times and finally after pulling the switch every direction by luck I get it to go back down and close.

I think my sunroof switch is broken / malfunctioned because someone pulled on it the wrong way.
1) Ignition switch positions are plainly labeled in your owner's manual - a helpful book to read.

2) It would indeed seem you have a malfunction that is beyond a simple reset. Track lube, as xexpo recommended, is a good start.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, but the sunroof moves freely.. and the tracks are fine. I will try the reset today, but I would have guessed it being the switch.. It's either got to be the switch or reset because the STAR picked it up and it would have no idea how the tracks are as it had never been opened at that time since the last battery reset..

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ok don't clean the tracks, do the reset and if still doen't work replace the switch. Sounds like you knew all along how you wanted to proceed :thumbsup:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok don't clean the tracks, do the reset and if still doen't work replace the switch. Sounds like you knew all along how you wanted to proceed :thumbsup:
Well there is nothing personal, I certainly wasn't trying to insult you. I've owned maybe a thousand cars so far and I think I can tell when the sunroof tracks are an issue.. like I stated the STAR is stating the switch panel, so either the switch is bad or it needs to be reset, I would guess.. I have not had one of these cars before.. I don't see how it could know the tracks are an issue after it was reset and they weren't used.. I was posting to see if anyone (like the first reply I got) knew exactly what it was. The first post said he had the exact same issue and it was a reset, so I will try that as soon as I get a chance. Thanks again for all your help though, you have been very helpful!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I didn't think you trying to insult me, no worries. I was just suggesting doing the regular maintenance item that needs to be done anyway.
Have you tried the auto open (sunroof and the windows)with the key pointed at the door handle sensor?, it could help you in diagnosing it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
1) Ignition switch positions are plainly labeled in your owner's manual - a helpful book to read.

2) It would indeed seem you have a malfunction that is beyond a simple reset. Track lube, as xexpo recommended, is a good start.

Hi Skylaw , perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original response. I am familiar with the ignition position , but "DIRECTION 3" is what I had in question from the sunroof.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Let us know if the reset works. I have very similar symptoms and haven't done a reset yet. The battery has been in and out of the car several times as I slowly get all the bugs worked out. One of these days I'll post all of the repairs/maintenance that I've done so far.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will do, have got so many projects going on this car I haven't had time to check, too busy making everything perfect like my OCD commands me to do.. :) I have left a legend of perfect/showroom condition used cars in this world for which I should be known for :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
I feel your pain. I put mine up on ramps the other day to take the rocker panels off and clean out the drains. Thought...may as well change the oil, do a radiator and tranny flush and relace a few jack pads and belly pans while I'm at it. When does it end? Good thing it's such a fun car to work on.

Now, it's motor mounts, power steering fluid flush, and valve cover gaskets. It would be nice to actually get this thing on the road eventually.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Hi Skylaw , perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original response. I am familiar with the ignition position , but "DIRECTION 3" is what I had in question from the sunroof.
Direction 3 is pushing up on the sunroof button until the back of it opens up.
You can only get to position 3 after you close the sunroof all the way.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,865 Posts
Gabby got to this more quickly than I did - thanks, Gabby. The diagram of the sunroof window switch is also in the manual. Sorry if I misled you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gabby got to this more quickly than I did - thanks, Gabby. The diagram of the sunroof window switch is also in the manual. Sorry if I misled you.
Skylaw, we're going to have to ask you not to give advice to our members until you are familiar with the W220 model. :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts