Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 C350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend took the car while I was at the gym and the sunroof window switch "fell off". Which is complete BS, looking at the part it's clear there is missing plastic and the part won't stay in place, so she broke it. In any case, I have been looking and I cannot find this part on EPC-net. I am a little concerned that I will have to have the entire upper light panel assembly replaced as the vehicle side of the switch (shown in the pic) seems to be missing two small plastic pieces as well (rough spots on the plastic). Any idea what this part number might be, or if I will have to replace the whole panel?

The only part I can find on EPC-net that looks remotely in the right place is:

A2048208101905 which was replaced by
A2048208901905 which was replaced by
A2048201323905.

The part is called "Interior Lamp - roof mounted operating unit".

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2008 C350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok well I found a non-ideal solution but it'll work. I can epoxy the switch in place...Doesn't impact anything. I see now more clearly how the bottom half of the switch broke - the vehicle side has two triangular tabs that the broken parts of the switch would slide over and then lock onto. Those were broken off somehow. Anyway a little bit of epoxy and it'll be good as new...Actually better because it won't be able to be broken off like it was before.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 SportSedan
212 Posts
Ok well I found a non-ideal solution but it'll work. I can epoxy the switch in place...Doesn't impact anything. I see now more clearly how the bottom half of the switch broke - the vehicle side has two triangular tabs that the broken parts of the switch would slide over and then lock onto. Those were broken off somehow. Anyway a little bit of epoxy and it'll be good as new...Actually better because it won't be able to be broken off like it was before.
:thumbsup: Wish i would have though of that.... same thing happen to me a while back, i just brought it to the dealership the next day, they have to replace the whole panel, nor did they charge me......IN MY OPINION::rolleyes: mercedes should have made the sunroof operational via buttons instead of a switch...if you dont no your strength you'll break it

·
Registered
2008 C350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it would've been better to design it with some kind of a lip at the front to keep the front secured...as it is it's really easy to break, especially if you have semi-long fingernails like my girlfriend. Catch it just right and off it goes. If I hadn't had my flashlight out there I'd have never found the little light pipe too, because she didn't know that had fallen out after the switch cover came off.

·
Registered
2008 Mercedes-Benz C300 SportSedan
212 Posts
smh, girlfriends.... gotta love'em.....that would be the last time she rides alone in my Benz

·
Registered
1 Posts
same thing happened to my car last week and I am searching online for the part. I went to MB yesterday and they quoted me $270 for the part and $170 to install. They said they have to replace the entire unit!!! This is crazy!! I will try the epoxy! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
Is the epoxy fix holding up ok? Status please?

·
Registered
2008 C350
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the epoxy fix holding up ok? Status please?
Yep working fine haven't had any further issue. I believe it was Loctite 2-part (with mixing nozzle) epoxy with a 5-minute set time, though it might've been the 1-minute set time stuff that I used (I have both).

Loctite Epoxy Instant Mix 5 Minute from Loctite Adhesives

If you look at the Technical Data pdf it says under the "Recommended For" section "rigid plastics" which is what the switch qualifies as (ABS).

·
Registered
2008 C300 (Sport) & 2009 B200
1 Posts
Dang thing just broke off in my hand... Circa 2008 Cheap plastic part.

Good news is I can still move the sunroof by jiggling the bits up there in the switch, but I was driving at the time and not exactly sure what I was doing. Got it closed just before the rain...

I'll try the epoxy solution but would really appreciate knowing if anyone figured out how to disassemble the ceiling console and replace just the sunroof switch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 s63 amg and the same thing happen to me.. It was loose I push it back and then I pull a little hard,to hard I guess and the whole thing(switch) fall apart...Come on MB this isn't a cheap car, why put on a cheap part that will cost a lot?... smh Yes I can glue it back but got to figure how to put it all back to glue... Crzy!!! Anyone know of a short cut?. I refuse to paid high dollar for a part that will fall off again. [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
How were you able to fix it? I broke mine as well and tried to clip it back on but did not work.

I bought a new button and will be arriving soon so wondering how you got it clipped back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How were you able to fix it? I broke mine as well and tried to clip it back on but did not work.

I bought a new button and will be arriving soon so wondering how you got it clipped back on.

did the switch work and fix it for you??
How did you clip it back on??
Please reply

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn’t able to clip it because I didn’t have the tools. I also didn’t follow instructions so I had to go to the dealership. I took it Mercedes dealership with the button and they installed it for me. I just paid for the labor

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wasn’t able to clip it because I didn’t have the tools. I also didn’t follow instructions so I had to go to the dealer

Okay thanks brother I will send you a picture if you don’t mind and let me know if yours snapped off like this too!!
I’m not sure if mike would be repairable with just the switch. The sun roof still works without the switch so I’m assuming the switch is all I need. Do you recommend any specific switchs??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts