Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1986 Sel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I have bought a complete sunroof to replace mine that has missing parts and doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to remove the one in the car and replace it with the new one. Is it something an ordinary Joe can do?
Any clues would be very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
It can be done, but it takes some skill. Read my DIY thread on it. Use the search function and put in my name and sunroof repair.

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
79 Posts
My advice: search google for a lot of diagrams/pictures. One thing I've learned about these cars is that you'd best study up before you pick up a wrench.

It's been a while since I searched (my sunroof is dead too) but I remember that as long as you can get it open you'll have access to everything you'll need to remove. I'm a semi-ordinary Bob (Joe's my brother), and I'd take the on the job. The only reason I haven't so far is monetary. I'm saving and when next the weather is warm and dry I'm going to fix it.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Hi Guys, I have bought a complete sunroof to replace mine that has missing parts and doesn't work. Can anyone tell me how difficult it is to remove the one in the car and replace it with the new one. Is it something an ordinary Joe can do?
Any clues would be very much appreciated.
Did you buy a complete sunroof "cartridge" that was removed from a donor car as a complete unit or did you buy all the parts already seperated. The write up here will not help you other than a brief, general explanation of some of the sunroof parts.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1518998-w126-sun-roof-problem-instrument-cluster.html

Like others have mentioned, you need the factory manual pdf's and then do more research on write up's done by many memebers here and on other websites regarding w126 maintenance tips. Here are the pdf #'s you need. Will post a few in a couple of minutes for you. As you can see, it is much more difficult than just getting a generl description of how the roof works.

Sliding roof

* 77-050 - Remove and replace headliner of sliding/lifting roof
* 77-100 - Remove and replace sliding roof cover (panel)
* 77-110 - Adjusting sliding roof cover (panel)
* 77-130 - Remove and replace sealing and holding rails on sliding/lifting roof opening
* 77-140 - Remove and replace sliding roof control (cable)
* 77-150 - Remove and replace tubing
* 77-170 - Remove and replace lifting arm of sliding/lifting roof
* 77-180 - Remove and replace mounting bracket with motor and gear unit (round motor)
* 77-195 - Checking and adjusting sliding roof motor clutch (round motor)
* 77-250 - Remove and replace sliding roof wind deflector
* 77-300 - Remove and replace sliding roof frame

This following post has many of the links to pdf's already in it for detailed instructions. Let me know which others you may need and I will post them for you:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w126-s-se-sec-sel-sd/1458882-sunroof-layout-repair-pdf.html

·
Registered
1986 Sel
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, thanks for all that information, really appreciate it. I have bought a complete cartridge from a donor car so I can take out the whole gizmo and put the new (second hand) one in. Mine had been played around with before I bought the car and there were heaps of parts missing. Thought I would try to replace it myself before I paid out dollars for the mechanic to fit.
Awesome to be able to get some advice.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I know of another member that replaced the whole cartridge in a Gen I. Perhaps he will see this and offer up some advice on the removal and replacement.

I replaced nearly all the guts on my gen I SEC this year. It was not difficult, but took lots of time and patience. I printed out all the PDFs prior to starting and had them laid out for reference during the work.

I have heard that the gen II like yours is more difficult, but wouldn't think there is much more work since you are replacing it as a complete unit.

Good luck to you...post the results when you are done.

·
Registered
`81 W123 280E, `83 W126 280SE, `85 W126 280SE, `91 W126 500SE, `96 W202 C180T, `99 W202 C220CDI
511 Posts
I know of another member that replaced the whole cartridge in a Gen I...
Maybe I`m that one! (I have replaced the sunroof in my 280SE). I have written also in a few topics about sunroofs problems too...

I have taken apart gen II sunroof too, and I can tell you that if you change it as one piece it is the same labor for both, gen I and II! :thumbsup:

You must to dissconnect the tube motor from the cable and the tubing that is going in (trunk area, left side)

You have to take out the headlining, and for more space and to avoid accident I advise to take out the seats too...

When you have taken out the headliner it will be straght forward to you! There are a lot of screws all around the sunroof frame that you have to take out.

It will be tricky to take out the sunroof frame from the interior. Use the rear doors for that...it is challenging but you will manage to position the frame in order to get it out (Ah...I see you have SEL...so more room for that)!

Goog luck!

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
79 Posts
This thread is archived in my "car crap" folder for when I finally get to fixing mine! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
This thread is archived in my "car crap" folder for when I finally get to fixing mine! Thanks!

You soooooo made me laugh at that as I also have a "car crap" file! Seems most of us have some deferred stuff...

·
Registered
1989 420 SEL
79 Posts
Deferred indeed! My 420 is driveway bound, unable to start. Meanwhile parts for much less pressing projects are piling up while I pull out my hair trying to get her going. My car crap folder has swelled to prodigious size with saved PDFs, diagrams, and links. :banghead:

·
Registered
94 S350, 06 E320CDI
929 Posts
I am just not getting this right. I removed the top cap which looks like a part that covers a nut and then goes to a top slender round piece.

After taking that off, I see a shaft with two flattened sides that can be used to hold the shaft with an open end wrench. At the bottom of the shaft, there is a 17mm nut that looks like it locks the shaft to the motor.

The nut is located in an opening that makes it very hard to get to unless you use a socket, but then you can't hold the shaft.

I have a heavy offset open end that I managed to wedge onto the nut, but I can not budge the nut. Am I supposed to loosen the nut and turn the shaft and then tighten the nut again?

The instructions say to hold the shaft and turn the nut, but I am not able to budge the nut at all. I think it is a locking nut and so is already bottomed out.

Hopefully, this makes at least a little sense. Has anyone done this that can tell me where I am going wrong?

The instructions mentioned to make sure the clutch is not locked. Although it never mentions how you would check this or how to lock and unlock it. Maybe that it the problem....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts