Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 BMW 528i
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is some sort of material inside the sunroof cavity that is producting a tar like material that is destroying the inner roof slide (the part that the driver pulls forward and back). How hard is it to remove the sunroof and replace this seal or whatever it is that is making stains and scuff marks on the slide? Also I have noticed that whenever the car is driven, the side mirrors shake and rattle around with road bumps and wind? Is there any way to tighten them up in the housings? The housings themselvs actually seem loose and wiggle from time to time? Any DIY fix? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1995 S320 LWB W140
61 Posts
for the side mirrors make sure you push the button thing to make sure there all the way out, sometimes i don't have them all the way out and they wiggle alot when driven. i don't know about the sunroof though.

·
Registered
1998 S600
77 Posts
I have a similar problem with the sun roof:

1. Some black tar-like stuff scrapes the bottom of the roof slider.
2. Sunroof goes past the stop and goes into tilt mode when trying to close it.

I try not to use the darn thing. VERY frustrating to deal with these things in a mercedes. Let me know if you find a solution.

-Vic

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
It's a bit of roof insulation that has come unglued from the roof.

The black stuff is adhesive. This happens to a lot of cars, mine included. I pulled the bits of insulation out as they appeared and cleaned off the goop as it appeared. Eventually the bits and glue stopped appearing. I've decided not to worry about replacing it for now.

Brett

·
Registered
1995 S320
40 Posts
Yep that tar like substance is a dampening material glued to the roof. Mine fell off due to very hot weather in Texas and jamed the sun roof. To remove that stuff is a pain you'll have to remove 4 corner covers, rear view mirror and all surrounding, covers connecting the front and rear door, 2 ceiling lights (metal tabs inside hold headliner), remove headliner, then remove sunroof pan (about 40 pounds). Then you see on the roof is the tar like sheet glue. Make sure you remove all that stuff with plastic scrapper and paint thinner to clean. If you don't remove all that stuff, one day some will fall down again. Really sucks you have to do all that work to just to fix something so simple. Dump idea to put that stuff there in the first place. Tip the rear view mirror is not screwed in at all, just spring pressure so pry it out, and put it back on, press ends with pliers and that little pin will do the trick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts