Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you remove the front rubber seal around the sunroof opening? I tried to pull on its edge and it came out a little, but it took a lot of force to pull it out even that much. I was afraid I would tear it. Is there a trick to removing this seal? Like disassembling other components first?

Somebody installed a sunroof deflector on this car before I bought it. I hate those things and removed it, but I do not know how to remove the two stainless slips that hold the deflector screws in place. These clips appear to be really tight and I do not see any obvious screws or anything holding them in place. How do you pull them out? Do you need to disassemble the side channels or something? What a PITA this car is!:(

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am overwhelmed by the response. Apparently nobody here has installed or has a sunroof deflector.

Well, I got the clips off. It required removing the three screws on the side metal insert. One of the screws actually secures each deflector clip.

·
Registered
300CD T
251 Posts
sorry dude
I have the merc manuals and I was reading over the bit on sunroofs the other morning while having breakfast. Can't remember exactly and I'm away for the next week from the manuals, but none of it looked like rocket science, so I would just remove any screws you see and gently ease things out.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response. I meant removing the accessory plastic sunroof deflector that mounts on top of the roof, not the built-in deflector. Anyway, the only thing I do not know for sure is how to pull the front seal out - maybe you just grab one corner and keep pulling until it comes out. I only need to pull out about 4 inches of it on one corner.

·
Registered
83 300D Turbo
75 Posts
Sorry about that.

I also have one of those plastic add-on wind deflectors on my spare parts car, a 82 300D. I never needed to look at it so I know nothing about removing it. Now this has piqued my interest.

You did refer to your 300D or was it the 300SD?

Since I may need to address this some day, I went to the MBSource and Shuman forums and did some extensive searches without any luck.

I attempted to go out to take some pics but the battery was weak and the sunroof didn't open. It was working before, the starter only clicked so I need to get it recharged.

I don't know when I can get back to this. Hopefully someone can get some info to you in the meantime.

·
Registered
1980 300SD, 1978 300CD
10 Posts
I would find a place local that installs sunroofs (look in yellow pages or call a new car dealer and ask them) drive it over and ask them how to take it off. Most people are helpful enough to give you a free word or two. At least that has been my experience.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If anybody ha one of those plastic accessory sunroof deflectors, my advice is, remove it ASAP! These things damage the paint and will leave a groove in your clearcoat in time, or even rub the paint off to the bare metal. Seen it happen on various cars. This is one of the stupidest accessories ever invented. It does not allow the water trapped under the deflector to dry fully and twill also cause accelerated corrosion of the sunroof panel endges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts