Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I drive a mercedes 190e 2.6 1989 model, i think its a sport line as its got all the works and a full cozzy kit. The problem that I have is that the sunroof has stopped working. When you push the sunroof button backward and forwards, up and down there is no movement but you can hear the motor going. Also you can open it manually from the boot. Can any one help me as its summer time now. Cheers[:(]

·
BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,159 Posts
If you can wind it all the way open and closed again from the boot then the cable is OK.

It sounds like the cable needs some lubricating.

If you open the roof about half way, you can pull the lining down. It his held up by four plastic pressure clips along the front. Pull them down and then slide the lining out forwards.

Spray some lubricant on the inner cable or grease it, then wind it back and forward to spread it about.

If after this the motor still buzzes but the roof doesn't move then you may need to adjust the clutch inside the motor. To do this, remove the trim from inside the boot so you can see the motor. Then where you have been manualy winding the motor (the big plastic nut), flick the plastic cover off and you will see a 17mm nut. If you tighten it clockwise, it tightens the clutch. Only move it a bit at a time and try the switch again.

You should only adjust the clutch as a last resort and when you are happy that the roof is moving freely manualy. This is because if you tighten the cluch too much and there is something causing the roof to stick, it will cause the inner cable to split from the outer one and you then need a new cable.

·
W201, W202, W203, W204, W205 Moderator
Amethyst 2001 C320
1,730 Posts
Sounds to me like a broken butterfly bracket. Happened to me, and cost me all of $3 at the dealership. However, it was quite a process to get the sunroof panel off and back on again. The bracket is connected to the end of the cable, which attaches to the sunroof panel. Let me know if you would like a part number/diagram.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts