Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SEC
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Sunroof part: what is this?

Please ignore first post - too quick on the return key.

Anyone know what this piece is called? It goes at the rear of the sunroof opening. The metal part that's cracked in the middle (second photo) is where the end of the cable attaches. The bracket that holds the cable to this piece is twisted and pinched. That's definitely been bent from the stress of the cable pulling on it (seen clearly by the way the brass-colored bits don't line up opposite each other), but I can't tell if the whole piece is supposed to be bent in the middle or not. It looks too evenly angled from the midpoint to be an accident (first photo), but I don't see how the center could be bent/cracked like that if it's not supposed to be straight. I didn't take it out, so I don't know what it looked like on the car, and we didn't realize it was bent (or not, if it's supposed to be) until it was out.

I obviously need a new one, but I don't know what to look for, and the only way to get to it is under the headliner. I haven't had the headliner panel on the sunroof for more than a year because the only way to get the sunroof closed is to pull it closed, which can't be done with the headliner panel in, and the headliner won't go back in if the sunroof is closed. I have a new cable, but now I need something to attach it too. The metal is so thin that I think any sort of repair would quickly bend again. How similar are sunroof assemblies on various W126s? I don't want to tear a headliner out of a car that wouldn't have the right piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
too many
2,134 Posts
Pics?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts