Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if there is a company out there that can/will rebuild my 1247800007 sunroof motor ('94 E420)? I've just had my sunroof completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. The problem is that my motor is very weak and either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. New ones are quite expensive and after having just shelled out for the dis/re-assembly + a new Alcantara headliner, I'd rather have it rebuilt, if possible. I have not had any luck finding a used sunroof motor.

Thanks -

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
With any small electric motor, if the windings in the armature are faulty causing the motor to be 'weak', there is no fix other than rewind or replace. If I were you, I would try to find one at a JY.

Any number of services online that rewind armatures. But it gets expensive if you're requiring folks to test/take apart and repair your motor.

Kent is very much vested in sunroof repair videos.....not sure if he offers the motor itself.

Kevin

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevin,
Thanks, I was afraid of that. I have seen Kent's sunroof videos, but none on the motor itself.

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
OK, well it's just a small electric motor...nothing sinister or unusual by the Germans. It could have brushes or brushless.....never been into one. My motor on this TE is not the strongest....but the one in the parts TE is strong. Not looking FWD to the swap. Most worried about fiddling with an old headliner that right now, is sound.

Kevin

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Old headliners are fragile. Since the OEM headliners are no longer available, I just replaced mine for the 2nd time with black Alcantara. The original lasted about 14 years, the OEM replacement lasted about 10 years and I hope this Alcantara one lasts longer yet - especially since I covered the inside of the roof w/ Dynamat before installing the new Alcantara.

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
Yep. Old headliners are fragile. Since the OEM headliners are no longer available, I just replaced mine for the 2nd time with black Alcantara. The original lasted about 14 years, the OEM replacement lasted about 10 years and I hope this Alcantara one lasts longer yet - especially since I covered the inside of the roof w/ Dynamat before installing the new Alcantara.
Wow....a lot of prep for the headliner. Hope you get a long time out of 'er!

This semi-arid climate is easy on headliners....never had to do one yet. Unless some fool riding in the car stains it, I tend not to touch them much. It can't be good for them to use chems detailing all the time.

Kevin

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't touch mine either or use any cleaners. It's the extreme heat here in Texas that does them in - causes the foam backing to rot and decompose, then the fabric separates from the foam and sags.

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
I don't touch mine either or use any cleaners. It's the extreme heat here in Texas that does them in - causes the foam backing to rot and decompose, then the fabric separates from the foam and sags.
I can sure believe that. I lived in Big D until I became a Master Plumber and then moved away. My brother still lives down there. I've actually seen windshields blown out of cars that sat in the sun with the windows up.

I suspect it might be the same in Phoenix, but it might also take some humidity with the heat to do the damage you're talking about.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Best just to get a good used motor. They are cheap in salvage yards. I hoard a few of them for future use and many other sunroof parts.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I found a local shop that was highly recommended, to rebuild my sunroof motor for $120.00. Hopefully, he will do a good job. I found a new motor for $226.00 and a "good" used one for $175.00, so the rebuild will save me some cash (provided it's rebuilt properly). I will report back on the quality of the motor rebuild.

·
Premium Member
10,058 Posts
Update: I found a local shop that was highly recommended, to rebuild my sunroof motor for $120.00. Hopefully, he will do a good job. I found a new motor for $226.00 and a "good" used one for $175.00, so the rebuild will save me some cash (provided it's rebuilt properly). I will report back on the quality of the motor rebuild.
$120 to rebuild that little motor.....maybe I'll hang a single. If he finds the armature weak/bad, I wonder where he'll get another........

Kevin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
3 Participants
1994 E420
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing