Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1985 380se and the sunroof works, but seems to have a lot of trouble opening and closing. It squeak and has a lot of trouble going up and down the track.I end up having to hit the button many times for it to completely open/close. I've also noticed the same problem with the right pass. window- but not as bad. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do without having to open the entire roof... I guess. I already sprayed the track w/ wd40 with no progress.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
How about the drive cable? IIFC there is a sheathed cable that runs from the motor in the trunk, up thru the left side "C"pillar and thru the sun roof panel stucture. Its a LONG cable with lots of surface to bind. If that grease gets hard with age, it seems that it could really slow things up. So how can the grease in the cable be cleaned up and replaced?

·
Registered
1991 560SEL Black with gray
251 Posts
Sunroof problem...point me in the right direction?

My sun roof opens fast until half way and then stops - have to press repeatedly to get it to open all the way. Same situation for tilting up.

I have not used it because of this issue. I brought it to the dealer ~2 weeks ago for an oil change and had them look at it. I said lubricate it (figuring it had been a while). They did and then they also said toreset the timing ($135). Why it needed both, I do not know. I only said to lubricate it because I thought that was the problem... I agreed to reset the motor. Well, $200 later and the same jerking motion occurs halfway open. Thoughts? I will post a video if necessary. Thank you!

Dealer will have it back Wednesday - and I told them I'm not paying for "diagnosis" when their last one was just wrong.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,028 Posts
there is either an obstruction behind the mechanism in the rail, or a binding of the cable within its sheath (needs lubrication or frayed) or the actual movement of the roof is bunged up.

You can pop off the cloth panel from the inside, and shine a light back there to see whats up. Also clean your drains carefully and lube that thing yourself for the cost of MB slide paste.

·
Registered
251 Posts
there is either an obstruction behind the mechanism in the rail, or a binding of the cable within its sheath (needs lubrication or frayed) or the actual movement of the roof is bunged up.

You can pop off the cloth panel from the inside, and shine a light back there to see whats up. Also clean your drains carefully and lube that thing yourself for the cost of MB slide paste.
Thanks - so potentially, if there is no obstruction and the cable is ok, can I assume they did not lubricate it properly? When they get back to me with a diagnosis, I need some sense of whether it is more garbage/BS or if they are in fact right this time!

I'll try to take off the cloth panel from the inside and see for myself. I do not know how they determined my motor needed re-timing...

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,708 Posts
I can see why they thought it needed re-timing. And the lubricant should be done every year without fail, that's why these sunroofs usually bite the dust cos it doesn't get done.

I can't imagine they didn't lube it probably, its not hard. But I guess its possible. Your switch may need cleaning, they get dirty. Disconnect battery first and use contact cleaner if you want to try that.
Another possibility is the drive cable itself is worn out and binding from lack of lube. A new cable would be the answer to that. Which actually is fairly easy to do. Or just lubing the old one, if its not beyond saving.

·
Premium Member
1991 560 SEC 1994 E500 2014 E350 Cab
7,028 Posts
I agree, if the Stealership said they lubed it, it is certain they did. If the headliner is original, it begins to seperate due to age and heat, the foam glue is sticky, orange and will stain ANYTHING it comes in contact with. Leaves, dirt, old grease and I even had an acorn bunged up with grease, blocking my rear left drain: stuff gets in there that doesnt belong, and hanging fabric is also potential issue. You can leave the vanity panel (feel along the front edge for three bumps or snap/clips that is where it is attached) but you can close it. push up on the back edge (or just tilt mechanism up if it is a tilt roof) and look in there. In the center there is a plastic tube with felt/velour that is the cable guide. They are notorius catchers of sagging fabric. They also get bent and warped due to heat beating on the roof.

If you ever get a new head liner, get some Tech Shield radiant barrier type sheathing used for the underside of the home's roof. Install that on the metal surface before putting the cartridge and headliner back up (not sure at moment if you have sel or sec) as it will help keep the car cool since there isnt insulation in mine....it works great.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Update from the stealership -

they are saying guide angles and MAYBE the cable & tube. $1500 for the angles and then more than $300 for the cable/tubes. They won't install parts unless I get them from them! HAH.

So part numbers for those things? I'll find an indie. They said the parts for the angles were $550 each side?

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
15,708 Posts
Try ElRojo for used bits. The new parts are silly money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts