Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to work on the adjustment of my sunroof, may even need a new cable too. how do i remove the headliner that is attached to the sunroof. furthermore, if i need to do a sunroof refurb, do you guys have a link or something showing step by step instructs??? i also will be needing a new seal etc for the job, so if you guys know a good source for everything needed please advise.

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Open the roof half way, and pull down the headliner in a swift motion, then slide out forward.

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
Open the roof half way, and pull down the headliner in a swift motion, then slide out forward.
What about if your sunroof WONT open even through the emergency thing in the trunk? This is on my list of things to tackle.. I want to replace the entire headliner if I can find another one in a junkyard or something..

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What about if your sunroof WONT open even through the emergency thing in the trunk? This is on my list of things to tackle.. I want to replace the entire headliner if I can find another one in a junkyard or something..
i am in the same boat as you. mine was a pain to ever get closed due to a worn cable and out of adjustment. it will have to be a nice day to tackle it as i may not get it back closed.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
I would love more info on this, too.

When we bought our 300D recently, the roof was half open and wouldn't close. We had a shop just close it until the day that I can tackle it and get it working again. I would love to do that soon but have no idea where to start. The motor on mine does work.

Is there a cable kit- or something like that- available (or perhaps it's just a certain gauge of cable)? Headliner?

·
Registered
68 Unimog TLF-8, 65 Unimog RadioBox, 63 L3304 Anti-Tank Gun Vehicle
58 Posts
A new headliner for a 240D cost around $255 im sure you can get one cheaper but you get what you pay for too!

Theirs more involved to Just replacing your Headliner , This is not like a Recovering a Headliner Board in a C320 current model.

1) You will need to Remove the Front & Rear Windows & Sunroof in order to Install a New Headliner in your car.
2) The German Vinyl Headliner Material is Glued to the Window channel of the body of the car.
3) When removing the "Decorative Aluminum Molding from the Window Rubber Seals" Make Sure you (CUT THEM OUT) Don't use any upward pressure to pull them in any way. Once you have bent them they will never be reusable again, not to mention very expensive to purchase new ones if their still even available.

As for your Sunroof issues in a Emergency if your Sunroof is stuck open you can simply remove the sunroof motor from the sunroof cable. Once you have released the Sunroof Cable from the Sunroof motor you can move the sunroof panel with your hands open or closed.

Remember to use your digital Camera to take before and after pictures of anything you do so you can reference them to re-assemble or email me with any questions. Bill

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
the headliner is NOT underneath the windshield gasket. it is retained at the leading edge under the header panel on two pegs. it is held around the doors and sunroof openings with cardboard edges. on wagons it is glued under the C windows, on sedans it is glued under the rear window rubber

I have photos of mine out of the car if anyone wants to see

·
Premium Member
5,787 Posts
so, to clarify, my car is an 85 euro wagon. this is the [stained] headliner material:

...ok, here we go. also, if you take off your header panel [visors, dome lamp, mirror, etc] this will be a lot more obvious.

The leading edges of the 'spars' of the headliner are held in place by fasteners that attach to the roof under the headliner. it's just a slip-over fit.

there is hardware at the leading edge of the sunroof that acts as a pinch rail to hold that edge in.

my sunroof panel is turned 90 degrees in this photo so it doesnt cover the edge of the opening, the windshield is to the left and the liner is face down.

observe the bows stitched into the fabric for the wagon, and the pad that runs with the bow. on the wagon, the rear edges are glued into the C windows, and the way back is held on with hardware under the rear header.

this is what the cardboard/plastic edging looks like up close where it's not rotted [and not]

drivers front drain. if you get this deep into the job, clean the HELL out of these while you have the opportunity. there's enough wiggle room to get them off with the sunroof pan installed. [at least there was on my car]

the expanse of a wagon roof with no sunroof pan installed

hope this helps. I don't think it's possible to get one out all the way without buggering it up in some way.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
So how do the actual cables work on the sun/moonroof under the headliner?

My roof went ajar so it's closed and out of commission. I'd like to get it working again someday. Where do you buy the parts to repair?

Can you take off just the rear half-plus of the headliner to get to the sunroof mechanism?

·
Registered
1981 240D California version
169 Posts
another solution for your woes is to convert to the manual sunroof like a wagon has. no motor, no worries :)
Sounds like a wonderful idea - Any info on HOW? I assume this would require purchasing a new sun visor/rear view mirror assembly that has the manual dial? Maybe I'm thinking of Volkswagens?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts