Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my sunroof will slide about 2 inches and it stops. it tilts up just fine.. can i fix this diy? does anyone have instructions

·
Registered
Black on Black 1999 E320
118 Posts
Got this from: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w21...yncronizing.html?highlight=battery+disconnect

I was having the same problem as your last night and doing that fixed my problem.

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery
disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and
hold for additional 1 second.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks i'll try that when i get home.

but it seems like when the sunroof stops moving, the motor is still running but it's not grabbing the glass anymore, i can hear some cable clicking

·
Registered
Black on Black 1999 E320
118 Posts
Oh, I have that issue with my height adjuster for my passenger seat and my head rests for both seats.

I was at a local dealer today and brought up that issue thinking it was the motor, but I was told that that these old models usually due this because of the gears, so it may because of that.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tried the resync but nothing. i'm pretty sure the cable is busted and is just flapping around. i wonder how hard it is to replace the sunroof cables diy

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,449 Posts
this is a weak point with the W210...along with other infamous ones. the MBUSA CD
has videos which show take-apart sequence. if you check this forum as well as on
the MBWORLD, you'll see descriptions and even some photos on how to take apart
and fix. it does sound like a DIY job....about same as shocks/springs in terms of
degree of difficulty but much cleaner.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cool!

raymond, have you done the repair yourself in the past? do i need new parts, and if yes do you know the complete list? thanks!

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,449 Posts
i havent yet...because (knock knock) it's not blown up yet. it does have that
lid rattle which occurs when fully retracted. so i may venture into the bowels
of the roof recess to see if i can quiet the rattling.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
There could be an inexpensive fix for your problem. It turns out the up until 99 the guide bracket that keeps the belt on track warps out and causes the belt to jam. The original guides are in the tracks on either side. They are about 3 inches long by 1/2 inch high and they are only held in place with a screw at on end. This lets them bend out of place. The new ones have 2 screws to keep them from bending out and causing the belt to jam. You can buy the new guides for as little as $3 each from the dealership and retrofit them in by adding the second screw hole that hold them in place. You will have to drop the motor for the roof panel that is above the dome light after you open it as far as it will go. Push it back manually with the motor out if you can. If you can't move it or worried about busting it more, get the video and remove the panel they way it shows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.