Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E430 Sprt/w W211 wheels
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So with all that's going on around the world, I have a good amount to free time on hands after noon which forces me to think about new things to fix on my old W210... so I cleaned the throttle body and EGR tube and replaced some vacuum lines that were pretty mushy and cracked from the heat over the years. I did get my sunshade down by making the motor work by banging it pretty good from the trunk, the latest is the sunroof... I don't even use it but it just bothers me when something doesn't work on my car... so here is the deal... it is jammed pretty good, the motor tries to move it for a second but its pretty stuck, when I tried manual crank, my fairly thick allen wrench bent but the sunroof wouldn't budge, so to disassemble the glass panel, the sunroof must be tilted up to give space to unscrew the screws but mine is pretty jammed so is there any other way to take it out easily or do I leave it alone and pull the plug on it?

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,427 Posts
So with all that's going on around the world, I have a good amount to free time on hands after noon which forces me to think about new things to fix on my old W210... so I cleaned the throttle body and EGR tube and replaced some vacuum lines that were pretty mushy and cracked from the heat over the years. I did get my sunshade down by making the motor work by banging it pretty good from the trunk, the latest is the sunroof... I don't even use it but it just bothers me when something doesn't work on my car... so here is the deal... it is jammed pretty good, the motor tries to move it for a second but its pretty stuck, when I tried manual crank, my fairly thick allen wrench bent but the sunroof wouldn't budge, so to disassemble the glass panel, the sunroof must be tilted up to give space to unscrew the screws but mine is pretty jammed so is there any other way to take it out easily or do I leave it alone and pull the plug on it?
Go for it. :)
This may assist you.

more here:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The second one was helpful, let me get to work lol, I just need to unscrew the glass panel, I will even fix my sunroof shade that doesn't have the cloth on the anymore, will probably paint it.

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,427 Posts
The second one was helpful, let me get to work lol, I just need to unscrew the glass panel, I will even fix my sunroof shade that doesn't have the cloth on the anymore, will probably paint it.
Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ok this was a bummer, I didn't have the correct size allen key to open those damn screws... I have a whole set but didn't have this one... so I just put everything back together and left it for another day, I was able to run my finger over the track and got some old black grease on my fingers; to make up for the disappointment I just went on a nice test drive and killed a newish Ford Flex on the freeway, though he was keeping up pretty good but couldn't pull on me, I took him by 2 car lengths, I wonder how fast those are and was surprised as he was keeping up and I couldn't pull on him more than 1.5-2 car lengths up to 90, then I let go. The whole thing started when I was merging pretty slow and he was tailgating and once I merged in, we both got on it, nothing pisses me off more than tailgaters.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You must have been up against a normally aspirated Flex. We have the eco boost, 365 HP and that thing gets up! Raced the neighbors Maserati Quattro and stayed right with them, though I feel this is down to the driver more than the car, that Maser can move.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 Wagon + 2002 ML 500 SUV
1,055 Posts
You must have been up against a normally aspirated Flex. We have the eco boost, 365 HP and that thing gets up! Raced the neighbors Maserati Quattro and stayed right with them, though I feel this is down to the driver more than the car, that Maser can move.
The EcoBoosts are fast & powerful.

I do wonder about longevity, though.

Is it more of a turbo or super charger ?

Thanks - David

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same, I wonder about longevity, but it would be nice to have for a few years and then trade it in. I looked up the naturally aspirated ones, they are almost as fast my E430 in 0-60 and quarter mile times which resulted in the close race, had it been a ecoboost, I would have been toast and also very embarrassedo_O, though talking about fast trucks, my mom has a 2008 Kia Amanti with the newer 3.8L engine with 270ish Hp and it is very quick, feels faster than 270HP, 0-60 comes in mid 5s, weighs about the same as my W210, and I was able to beat a Ford Raptor from 0-90(I let off then), I took him by 1 car length and it stayed that way throughout, the guy seemed very pissed and surprised by a Kia's performance lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update, I got the roof glass and the sunshade off the car, when I try to get the sunroof mechanism to move, only the driver side mechanism moves like half an inch and moves back up, but there is no movement on the passenger side. Also, what should I do to eliminate the slight roof rattle I have over hard bumps now that I have things off...this is a good time to fix irritating things.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,089 Posts
If the offender is not the roof but the shade, then you may want to consider
sliding a 12" square sheet of small bubble wrap between the metal roof and the
plastic sunshade. Check the STICKY also under SUNROOF RATTLE for a couple of
other threads

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the offender is not the roof but the shade, then you may want to consider
sliding a 12" square sheet of small bubble wrap between the metal roof and the
plastic sunshade. Check the STICKY also under SUNROOF RATTLE for a couple of
other threads
Thanks Raymond, I already slid cloth between the headliner and frame and now it is whisper quiet and feels like a Mercedes.
But talking about the sunroof, I was able to get some gunk out of the tracks I removed the screws to the mechanism and cable and move the mechanism freely along the tracks but the problem is that the cable assembly won’t budge, I even disconnected the motor and it moves freely so I know the motor is good, but how do I free up the cable assembly without taking the headliner apart?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bump... Does anyone have an idea on how to free up the cable assembly on one side? At this point, I was able to get some gunk out of the track and the track is now free but the cable assembly which moves the sunroof mechanism via the motor is stuck on the right side, hoping that the cable is not broken, can I access the cable by removing the cover plate easily without taking off the headliner?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, will try to view that again, it's just a little confusing because the guy is just disassembling things quickly and the quality is not the best but will keep watching it a few times so that I can learn the different parts involved and how to take them off without damaging.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Ok, will try to view that again, it's just a little confusing because the guy is just disassembling things quickly and the quality is not the best but will keep watching it a few times so that I can learn the different parts involved and how to take them off without damaging.
This may assist you further.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright guys, look like the sunroof won't be working ever on this darn thing and it will die that way lol the cable is literally rusted and just kinda welded itself to the tracks. I didn't want to mess it up further so just put everything back together, and left it that way. Seems like the sunroof was never used or opened.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts