'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
gregs,
If I only use the sunroof 20 times/yr, how often I should clean the system ? I do not use it in any dusty area as I am highly allergic to pollens, molds and dusts.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gregs,
If I only use the sunroof 20 times/yr, how often I should clean the system ? I do not use it in any dusty area as I am highly allergic to pollens, molds and dusts.
In all honesty, other than doing the "pop-up" on mine, I don't open it much more than that. (I walk to work most of the time, so it's really only out on weekends and I'm sure I don't open it every weekend, even when the weather is nice, since I'm usually on the freeway.)

Here's kind of my thought process. Properly-lubricated means you are much less likely to have any issues. Once you buy the grease you have enough to do it probably thirty or more times. It takes perhaps ten minutes.

With those considerations, even if you only use it once a month, I'd still do it once a year. The thought of having to pull the thing apart and replace cables, reset tracks...ugh. It's one of those better safe than sorry things. IIRC it's on the A and B service lists, so that would be every 10K miles, for most people that is less than once a year.

As the old saying goes, your results may vary. :D

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
Here's kind of my thought process. Properly-lubricated means you are much less likely to have any issues. Once you buy the grease you have enough to do it probably thirty or more times. It takes perhaps ten minutes.

With those considerations, even if you only use it once a month, I'd still do it once a year. The thought of having to pull the thing apart and replace cables, reset tracks...ugh. It's one of those better safe than sorry things. IIRC it's on the A and B service lists, so that would be every 10K miles, for most people that is less than once a year.

As the old saying goes, your results may vary. :D
Good advice but actually it's not in the A/B Schedules but under 'Other Services' such as plugs and brake fluid flush. It falls under the 3 yr / 30,000 mi category for normal operation (ie not dusty conditions). If your car came with an Owner's Manual set, look for the Maintenance Booklet. After the sections on Schedule A and Schedule B you'll find a list of longer cycle maintenance services.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
The sunroof only in my S500 because I intentionally deleted the sunroof from the E320 wagon when I order the car, but the S500 came with sunroof as free item. When I review the service history of the S500, since the service is under the additional 3/30K service, it was never been service by the dealer during the 78K and 10 yrs usage. i am little concerned about this issue. Is it possible to get the correct lube from any autozone store ? i am not concern of the cost from your internet source but the trouble.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The sunroof only in my S500 because I intentionally deleted the sunroof from the E320 wagon when I order the car, but the S500 came with sunroof as free item. When I review the service history of the S500, since the service is under the additional 3/30K service, it was never been service by the dealer during the 78K and 10 yrs usage. i am little concerned about this issue. Is it possible to get the correct lube from any autozone store ? i am not concern of the cost from your internet source but the trouble.
Actually the ONLY place to get it is Mercedes.

In a 1.1 lb tub.

For $95 (list).

The guys at buy mbparts just buy it and repack it so you don't have to buy so much.

Others have said there are other products you can use. Personally I didn't trust that, just like the people who say you can use other engine oil and other AT fluid. I agree it's a bother, but better a bother than a fouled-up $1,300 sunroof. JMHO...

Richard, thanks for the service interval clarification. I didn't look it up, as I said for the peace of mind it's worth it. I have trouble enough remembering when to do the other 2-and-3-year items. :D

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
Well, I hate to speak for others, but I think most on this site favor using MB approved lubricants and fluids. MB has designated a number of specially formulated fluids for certain models and certain applications. A good example is the sun roof tracks. That lubricant is only available in 'life time dealer quantities' from a dealer. The source listed in the link has been nice enough to repackage the lube in a more convenient quantity which is great for DIYers. True their online store is not as convenient as some but calling an 800 number is how we all used to order.

Of course, you can use something else. It's your car and your money.

·
Registered
C126 SEC500 - Ford LTD Stretch Limo - 1964 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - 2011 Holden Caprice
180 Posts
i clicked thinking this would show me the procedure....... why is this a sticky if it's just a chat room?
just wondering...

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
Check Codes has the links to the actual procedure in post #1 of the thread. Did you not see it?

Just checked - link to BenzObsession seems to be broken/?. PM Check Codes for the DIY procedure or wait and check again tomorrow.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i clicked thinking this would show me the procedure....... why is this a sticky if it's just a chat room?
just wondering...
It's not a chat room; unfortunately BenzObsession closed up shop.

I'm attaching the PDF to this post as I can't edit the first one.

Attachments

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Didn't I mention in the PDF where to get it? :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
C126 SEC500 - Ford LTD Stretch Limo - 1964 Cadillac DeVille Convertible - 2011 Holden Caprice
180 Posts
In any case, and please pardon my ignorance but, wouldn't any other grease do the job? I'm sure there are equivalent products that would be suitable to lubricate the mechanism and would be a lot easier to obtain. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
See Richard's post in #9.

You can always check with the source in the DIY.

And ebay to see if someone else is repacking it.

·
Registered
1998 E320 Wagon
632 Posts
IIRC, someone on one of these MB sites bought a tub and offered to sell some in small quantities. Sorry, I don't remember who it was.

Also, I recall someone tried another lubricant and it reacted and made the mixture very viscous.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking for something else I stumbled across Kent's video arguing for the removal of the sunroof panel rather than just applying grease.

While he's working on a 123 (I believe) his arguments seem sound and I think I'll probably pull mine the next time I do the regrease job.

Anyway, here's his segment, it's probably worth four and a half minutes to consider.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts