Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently picked up an 86 SEL euro and have a sunroof issue. I have searched the many posts on sunroof but thought maybe someone with experience can lead me in the right direction. When I first picked up the car I pushed the sunroof switch and could hear the motor run and cables moving but no action so I let it be. Raining all the time here in Seattle. Driving the car on Saturday and the rider in the car tried the sunroof again, well it went back but would not come forward. I manually pulled it forward but not all the way yet. At one time the metal channel and metal plate with cable popped out. (see photo). It is obvious that the metal plate on end of cable should be attached to sunroof. I put the cable back into the channel and it retracted up in the headliner portion of the sunroof. Will the manual crank in the trunk do me any good? Where should I start? or send me to a sunroof post that might address this specific issue. Thanks, Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
It looks as if the drive cable has 'blown out' the tube. It also looks as if the tube has been slid forward. There are two bolts that attach the drive cable to the sunroof mounting bar. You're going to have to take the sunroof liner out and dig into the system. Hopefully all you will have to do is reattach the cable to the mounting bar/plate. If not, you will need to replace the drive tube. It's much easier to do that then trying to replace the cable portion itself. If you see that you're going to have to do this, release the drive cable from the motor in the trunk then see if the cable will easily slide out of the tube. If the tube hase been compromised, just replace the drive & tube at the same time. You can buy them already to go into the car. You will have to drop the rear seat and C-pillar and part of the headliner. A little daunting but doable.

Regards,

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Also, you only have to un-hook the rear of the headliner instead of pulling the whole thing out. It's held in by a few push-pins and sheetmetal hooks. You'll also have to remove the rear roof handles as well.

Regards,

·
Registered
`81 W123 280E, `83 W126 280SE, `85 W126 280SE, `91 W126 500SE, `96 W202 C180T, `99 W202 C220CDI
511 Posts
Try to see what is happening now if you push the sunroof switch. If the cable is going out from that tube and you can observe that the end (where the safety pin is going on) is intact you anly have to but it back in his place. You must find that safety pin from the end of the driving cable. It must be somewhere onder the sunroof lining.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1989 560 SEC - V-8 Kompressor - 95 E320 Estate
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, you have given me a starting point. Much appreciated. Will update as I go.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts