Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read several posts on here about sunroofs and the owners problems, but mine have been different than others, so wondering if there might be someone else who has seen this and knows the solution, or can talk me through some possible trials to better diagnose it.

The sunroof almost never gets used, but the last few times I did use it, it opens smooth as glass, tilts wonderfully, but when I go to close it the problem occurs. It will move forward a couple inches and stop. I release the switch and push it again and it moves not even an inch and stops, Repeating these steps over and over gets me to about 6 inches from closed and from there to full closed works perfect.

As I was digging through older posts about these roofs and looking in the manual, I went to look in my trunk because I had never seen a plastic side panel with a door on it. Well... it's because I don't have that. Mine is formed carpet and after a little looking I did find the cut in the carpet which had never been opened before and it really didn't want open far enough for me to see inside, so I pulled back the formed piece on that side of the trunk to get a better look. I saw no bolt to crank on to make the sunroof move, but I did see a white knob sticking out from motor/controls area. Is this an adjustment knob to adjust what full closed and open is supposed to be? And is that what I need to work with?
Or could the switch just be crapping out on me being it does everything else so wonderfully? Only reason I suspect some type of adjustment is that once it gets past the stop and go on closing it finishes supurbly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1988 "Zender" 300CE Coupe, 2009 Renault Koleos, 2007 Kia Rio Sport
3,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,767 Posts
Before you try to adjust it try greasing the moving parts.

Cleaned & Greased My Sunroof Today - MBWorld.org Forums

You don't need any special tools. It does help to have someone push on the front to preload it before you retighten the nuts.
+1 on the lube...With the sunroof all the way open.. unscrew the stainless steel beauty part 4 scews each side, thats where the lube goes anywhere else your wasting your time. ( should be very little or no grease visible on the stainless steel beauty plates) also try to close it 1/2 way w/stainless removed and lube the rollers with a Qtip. I have knowledge of the as I totally rebuilt mine and it sounds like one side is binding. When that happens it will stop If you keep working it like that your asking for more trouble. pot metal will snap, cables will come out of the guide.

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to be pulling the headliner and redoing it in the next week or so, and when I do I'll go over the rails and rollers with a fine toothed comb to look for anything worn. Now only if I can figure out how to get the 4 "oh sh!t" handles off to take the headliner down because I don't see any screws, no plastic cap to have screws hidden under, so it must slide and lock somehow.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Current, 90 300CE, 92 400E (Sold 95 E320,70 250C, 91 190 2.6, 91 420 SEL, 95 300D, 87 TD)
1,767 Posts
I'm going to be pulling the headliner and redoing it in the next week or so, and when I do I'll go over the rails and rollers with a fine toothed comb to look for anything worn. Now only if I can figure out how to get the 4 "oh sh!t" handles off to take the headliner down because I don't see any screws, no plastic cap to have screws hidden under, so it must slide and lock somehow.

Thanks.
Please try the lube first!.... The head liner is allot of work and a potential for dammage.....re: OMG bars the little plastic tabs that surround the ends pop up and then the vinyl can be pulled back to reveal the 8mm bolt. Be careful w/ them use a dull flat screw driver.

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looked through the manual and found out they just call them grab handles. Well heck, aren't all handles supposed to be grabbed at some point? Anyway, I am not pulling the headliner because of the sunroof sliding issue, it is because it has a sag across 2/3 of the ceiling. I just figured since the headliner has to come out to clean the backer and replace the material, I would go over all the sunroof grease points that aren't so easily visible at that time.

And I found a really nice write-up on here on how to remove the headliner:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/1547410-1990-w124-200e-bits-pieces.html

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Oh, yeah if your going to remove it to r&r thengo for it! The little black pins that hold the vinyl will prob snap upon removal..... so I got a bunch at the J/yard. After trial/error I used reguler wire cutters to get under the pins..then rock them out.

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Headliner out and ready for redoing, going to be oh-so-not fun. Once I had everything out and didn't break a single clip (knock on wood), I found the culprit to the hanging up when closing. The headliner had been sagging from long before I bought the car obviously and someone had wedged a popsicle stick at the rear of the sunroof opening to hold up that edge. Never though much about it because I knew one day I was going to fix the headliner and you could hardly see it unless you knew to look there. BUT apparently that wasn't the persons only attamp at it because I found an inch long broken piece with grease on it right beside the track hidden by the car's headliner. Guess that would have been my intermitent stopping while closing. Opens and closes like a charm now.

Anyone have ideas on best solvent to use to remove the old crap from the backer? I'm going to get new material just to be safe, but can't justify pay $300 or more ($650+ shipping from the place in FL) when I'm can use some elbow grease and clean the old backer.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1995 W124 E320, 1982 W123 240D, 1991 W126 560SEL, 1993 W201 190E, 1978 C107 450SLC, 1992 W140 300SD
468 Posts
My local upholstery shop said they would recommend having new headliner material installed onto the backing plate. Said something about the foam being specially pressed against the material.

The guy quoted me $100 to do the work if I cleaned the backing plate. I will post the results once I get it back.

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
It is recommended you put new material to return it to its original luster. Yes, there is a soft backing on the material which gives it a cushy feel when you touch the headliner, but you could put anything you want to up there, it is your car (shag carpet anyone??). I will be getting some new for mine but if you are tight on budget and the old one isn't torn or dirty and you are willing to do some work to get it cleaned up, you could reuse it, just wont have that soft feel. And make sure that if you do put it on by yourself to not just clean the backer with chemicals to remove all glue and foam, but also the clean it with a mild soap to remove the chemicals from the harsher soaps so the new adhesive bonds better.

EDIT: @SAM, I'm guessing the little black pins you were talking about are for the models that have the stretch headliner. Mine is the glued to backer and falls out kind. lol

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is taking forever to get the material in that I want. Mine is siver exterior with black interior with gray accents (other than the wood). I looked around until I found some material for the headliner that is almost the exact same gray color but with a very slight black marble look to it. Hope it looks as good in the car as I think it will. Also considering wrapping the wood accents because several of them have crackled looking surfaces and don't want to spend a couple hundred getting new ones and no salvage yards near by to pick through to get ones I think are good enough. Thinking about using silver carbon fiber wrap for all the wood pieces and see how it looks. Have a small piece coming in so I can make that call.

As far as the sunroof goes, it slides back and forth with no effort or noise, but I noticed some people saying something about theres popping up, so I look at mine. It will not go above closed position (level with the roof), and if I push the control button to try to make it go up, the weatherstripping gets a small bulge in it on the rear drivers side but doesn't go up. Is the weatherstripping so old that it has re-formed itself to the closed position and not flexible enough to allow the sunroof to raise? Or is there a part of the working mechanism that isn't working to make it go up properly? It is all open to where I can the moving parts, but not sure which is to make it go up. Any one have a pick of what is being moved to show it pushed up?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
It is taking forever to get the material in that I want. Mine is siver exterior with black interior with gray accents (other than the wood). I looked around until I found some material for the headliner that is almost the exact same gray color but with a very slight black marble look to it. Hope it looks as good in the car as I think it will. Also considering wrapping the wood accents because several of them have crackled looking surfaces and don't want to spend a couple hundred getting new ones and no salvage yards near by to pick through to get ones I think are good enough. Thinking about using silver carbon fiber wrap for all the wood pieces and see how it looks. Have a small piece coming in so I can make that call.

As far as the sunroof goes, it slides back and forth with no effort or noise, but I noticed some people saying something about theres popping up, so I look at mine. It will not go above closed position (level with the roof), and if I push the control button to try to make it go up, the weatherstripping gets a small bulge in it on the rear drivers side but doesn't go up. Is the weatherstripping so old that it has re-formed itself to the closed position and not flexible enough to allow the sunroof to raise? Or is there a part of the working mechanism that isn't working to make it go up properly? It is all open to where I can the moving parts, but not sure which is to make it go up. Any one have a pick of what is being moved to show it pushed up?

Thanks.
Sounds to me you have "L" bracket broken and or some of the cams wheels are bent.... they are made of pot mettle and snap easy and the only way to find that out is to remove the whole sun roof "cartridge" the 12 to 14 bolts on the cieling. Once that is removed you can look over everything to see how it works.... if you push the cross bar by hand the sunroof should pop rite up because thats what the cable does, it just pushes and pulls. The "L brackets and cams do the rest. The "L" brackets are the pot mettle parts that that have 4 allen bolts. They attatch to the press formed cross member that the cable screws into.... Good LUCK I"ll be watch this if you come into problems.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2015 ML350 4MATIC + 1988 300E
687 Posts
Just for kicks, have you tried pulling the switch down like to close it from a tilt up position to close it from open instead of pushing the switch forward?

Works when mine acts up.

·
Registered
2005 E320 W211
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Can you see from any of these pics where that part you are referring to might be located? Would be nice if I could see it to know before taking the whole thing down. Wasn't really worried about it but since the headliner is down for replacement I figured I might as well tackle this.

@Tech, I'll try that tomorrow when I get home to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Yes those are the "L" brackets. If your roof is scewed/crooked one or both are broken somewhere. If thats not the case then some of the rollers are brocken or bad. Like I said it should do all fuctions by hand by pushing or pulling at the center of the cross beam.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet, 2007 E350 Sport P2, 1995 E420
406 Posts
In the second to last picture the piece that looks like a ski is the piece that goes up when the rear of the sunroof rises. It pivots. In my pix it is vertical

Sorry, I should have included this pix from W124 performance which shows the entire "lift arm".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.