Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1973 450sl
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I just purchased a 1990 300SL for my wife as a B-day gift. She flipped out over her new ride. The car is a one owner with 47,000 miles from FLA.perfect on the outside and inside except the Sun Visors. Is there a cheaper place to buy them other than the dealer? , How do I get the old ones off ? . They are tan in color , so if anyone has a source please let me know. Also I noticed a small oil leak about the size of a quarter under the driver side engine area , Any ideas???. I live in Buffalo N.Y. so untill the salt and snow is off the road , she's not leaving the garage. Sorry about the long e-mail , Thanks , Patrick[:)]

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
About sun visors, there are sold on eBay from time to time (mostly black but you could get a tan). To remove it, you have to have to top down, find the screws on top of the windshield and unscrew them. It should be very intuitive. I did this when I replaced the pump on the convertible lock.

About the leak, I have ... no idea [:)]

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
Since the car is new and you haven’t seen the sun-visors’ screws, my guess is that you haven’t tried messing around with the soft/hardtop yet. If that is true and the oil drops you were talking about are green (as far as I know) then the source of the leak could be the hose of your convertible top machine. Happened to me and I just had to replace the hose that’s all. In my case the leak was from above the driver side sun-visor and it only leaks when you push on the soft-top up/down red handle. But then it could be something else. Good luck

·
Registered
2005 C320k
69 Posts
sorry[B)]... it's just that I first noticed the leak when I saw the oil beneath the stearing wheel which is close to "under the driver side engine area , Any ideas???. ".

·
Registered
1973 450sl
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your help. True , I have not had the hardtop off yet so I didn't know where the screws where. The leak is from the engine. Again , thanks everyone[:D]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts