Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two issues:

Has anyone experienced a loose sun visor such that it rattles faintly when driving? This has been happening with my passenger side visor as long as I can remember. I have sort of just chaulked it up to being a sound that my car makes :). But recently, I said I should look into a fix. So far I went to staples and bought the little things that you put under a table or chair so that the legs of such do not scratch wood floors - and applied them to the headliner where the visor hits (barely noticable - as they are clear), but such has not worked. Any known solutions?

Another problem is that the arm rest pocket flap / door on my drivers door has a broken hinge and the arm rest makes an annoying rattling sound when going over large bumps (this broke more recently). My MB mechanic said that the flap / door to the pocket is one peice with the entire door panel. Is this true? If so, an entire door panel seems like an excessive purchase for this problem. Note that the hing is broken where it grabs on the inside of the pocket, not where it meets the pocket door. Suggestions? I have seen instructions on how to remove the door panel on this site, but any instructions for the removal of the pocket door itself? Guess this is something 95+ owners dont have to deal with!

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 S420
501 Posts
Mine rattles ever so slightly, you have to listen for it to hear it, but if I move it down just a tad to the point where it's no longer in contact with my roof, it stops. Just listen to music and you won't notice it :)

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:). I've done the same (moved it down just a little), but eventually it flips back up on its own. I don't know what it is - its not even a rattle, its like a vibration, like a buzzing. Tomorrow I will see how the whole thing is put together and maybe take it down and put it back up - might do the trick...

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
:). I've done the same (moved it down just a little), but eventually it flips back up on its own. I don't know what it is - its not even a rattle, its like a vibration, like a buzzing. Tomorrow I will see how the whole thing is put together and maybe take it down and put it back up - might do the trick...
I think it's to do with something in the visor wearing so that when it's folded up there is play in the hinge. There may be a way to replace the hinge.

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
my driver side does it, i usually stick my finger behind it and let it retract on its own, but as mentioned above, it will eventually come in contact with the headliner on its own, or the next time you use it, and fold it back up, it does it again.

you guys got me motivated to fix it, so give me some time and i ll investigate it...

·
Registered
1994 S500 Sedan
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be great. Haven't figured it out myself as of yet. But please do enlighten us when you have a sensible solution. I'll do the same. Best, JD.

·
Premium Member
2008 E 320 Bluetec (ELEGANCE) 2005 CLK500 (avant-garde)
1,928 Posts
I talked to the parts guy at my dealer who is a very nice guy. He said it's an assembly that wears, it's not adjustable and when I asked how much he said "You really don't want to know". I just kind of leave mine low enough so that it doesn't contact the trim piece. You could stick a piece of felt up there to keep it from rattling but it would look rather low rent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with the sunvisor rattle on my drivers side. I put the rubber cover for my blackberry between the visor and headliner and there is absolutely no more rattle :)

·
Registered
87 300TD, 95 S280 (Diesel Conversion 2.9L Turbo OM602)
162 Posts
solution for sunvisors that still have "play" when folded all the way:

EXTEND the sunvisor, angle it in such a way that you can push/fold the visor past the forward "headliner(?)"... then fold it ALL THE WAY UP to its limit... retract the sunvisor... you'll have a sunvisor that's as snug as can be.... until you flip it down... so you have to do it all over again. :)

·
Registered
1998 S600 LWB 2011 GLK 350 4matic 2013 Sprinter 2500
412 Posts
Two issues:

Has anyone experienced a loose sun visor such that it rattles faintly when driving? This has been happening with my passenger side visor as long as I can remember. I have sort of just chaulked it up to being a sound that my car makes :). But recently, I said I should look into a fix. So far I went to staples and bought the little things that you put under a table or chair so that the legs of such do not scratch wood floors - and applied them to the headliner where the visor hits (barely noticable - as they are clear), but such has not worked. Any known solutions?

Another problem is that the arm rest pocket flap / door on my drivers door has a broken hinge and the arm rest makes an annoying rattling sound when going over large bumps (this broke more recently). My MB mechanic said that the flap / door to the pocket is one peice with the entire door panel. Is this true? If so, an entire door panel seems like an excessive purchase for this problem. Note that the hing is broken where it grabs on the inside of the pocket, not where it meets the pocket door. Suggestions? I have seen instructions on how to remove the door panel on this site, but any instructions for the removal of the pocket door itself? Guess this is something 95+ owners dont have to deal with!

Thank you!
The wood trim on right front, and left rear doors started to come loose on my '96 recently. I found the nuts were loose on the trim mounted screw studs. I also tighted all of the other screws on my road weary door panel. A little lube on the door mechanisms, and a new bulb in the seat adjuster panel, and she is rocking!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts