Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I finally figured out (with my dealer's help) how to remove the glass-only sunroof cover. The 'headliner' of mine has peeled off for some time but could not figure out how to remove the cover so I can have it reupholstered.

So here's the steps to remove the glass-only (the procedure for the metal sunroof is different):
+ First push or slide cover back so its inside the headliner as far as it will go.
+ Then operate the sunroof control so the sunroof is in the tilted position.
+ Looking from underneath, you will see the rubber bellows on each side. These bellows have a metal rail at the bottom part that are held or pinched by clips. Just pull the rail carefully laterally from the clip. This loosens/disconnects the bottom part of the bellows.
+ Lay the rail down on the slider.
+ Do the same on the other side.
+ Using the sunroof controls, carefully operate the sunroof so it moves to the full open position. I tapped mine a bit at a time to make sure I was not breaking anything inside.
+ Once the sunroof is fully open, carefully pull the cover out. Mine felt a bit stuck probably because of some adhesive residue that I sprayed on the cover headliner some time ago. The cover comes off from the top side.

After removing the cover, I moved the sunroof to the tilt position and snapped the rail back to the clips. Once the cover is reupholstered, I'm guessing that putting it back will be the reverse of this procedure.

Here's a link to the actual procedure:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/eurotec/2011-10-18_174438_removing_cover.pdf

·
Registered
2010 E350, 2005 Tundra Sold the 1998 C230
322 Posts
I posted about renewing the headliner on my c230 back in July this year which included the procedure to remove the sunroof panel. The one you referenced is fine except that it doesnt talk about removing the plastic cover piece that goes across the front of sunroof frame and is what pulls the panel back inside. Here is the link if you missed it before:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1661013-headliner-repair-renew-98-c230.html

·
Registered
96 C220, 85 300D , 84 300D (sold), 80 300TD (sold)
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There is no need to remove the bellows nor any plastic piece towards the front. Only needed to disconnect the bellows at the bottom rail. The procedure I wrote is exactly how I did it following the MB procedure. And the link added is the same as the MB factory procedure.

Update:
I stand corrected on removing the bellows. Although its possible to remove the shade without removing the bellows, it's better to remove it to avoid the possibility of wrinkling the bellows as it retracts into the car. Tis happened when I was putting the shade back.

·
Registered
2000 C230K
54 Posts
The upholstery on my sunroof started sagging too and within months the headliner for the rest of the car started to go. Literally within a day my cars headliner just caved in it looked really bad. Got the entire headliner+sunroof repaired for 300$ flat. Just letting you know if your sunroof has started its only a matter of time before the rest goes.

·
Registered
1996 C280
33 Posts
Good news, as the sunroof cover on my daughter's C280 was missing when we got the car, and I have been trying to figure out how to replace it.

·
Registered
2015 C300 4Matic, 1978 240D
657 Posts
The upholstery on my sunroof started sagging too and within months the headliner for the rest of the car started to go. Literally within a day my cars headliner just caved in it looked really bad. Got the entire headliner+sunroof repaired for 300$ flat. Just letting you know if your sunroof has started its only a matter of time before the rest goes.
My sunroof shade went about two years ago and the entire rest of the headliner is fine. I've glued the shade back together for now but it looks kind of bad, so whenever I have time I'm going to re-cover it with some grey alcantara.

·
Registered
1996 C280 and 2010 E350 4-Matic
279 Posts
My sunroof slider liner stated coming down a few months ago. Boy do I hate that orange sticky foam stuff! I managed to contact cement it back in place, but it really does not look that good.
Like DGr1FF said: Just letting you know if your sunroof has started its only a matter of time before the rest goes.

I think he is right. MY headliner is now starting to come down from the rear of the car. It pulled out across about 12" where it goes into the rear window and is also down around 1/2 of the roof light in the rear.

Looks like I need to start looking to have the whole headliner replaced.

Anyone know of a place to get it done in the New York area? Thanks

time is running out :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts