Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 E 320 4Matic, '03 (50th anniv.) Corvette, '00 Land Rover Disco II, '85 Chrysler LeBaron Conv't
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.....

did a tire search, but noticed most topics are dealing with A/S's or winter tires...

want to know your opinions and/or experiences on performance 'sport' summer tires. I'm looking for a happy medium of noise, performance, and wear...all at a decent price. I'm located in CT, and would like suggestions on places offering good deals at the moment...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,338 Posts
As far as my opinion on summer tires.
I think you'll find the pickings pretty slim in your tire size. Besides, you'll never gain any noticable improvement in performance with a summer tire over a good A/S in a 4Matic car anyway. Maybe if you went with +2 wheels at the track or a parking lot rally it might be worth it, but not on a New England road.

There are many many A/S tires that will deliver superior performance, given your stated priorities. The Corvette is a different story.

·
Registered
2000 E 320 4Matic, '03 (50th anniv.) Corvette, '00 Land Rover Disco II, '85 Chrysler LeBaron Conv't
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for your reply....still DO prefer a sportier tire since the tires are strictly for fair weather driving....

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hey, tvo. The Michelin Pilot Sport is a popular tire among the AMG crowd, so it's worth a serious look.

As far as ratings, head over to Tire Rack and plug in your tire size and select summer or performance tires, then you'll have a list of tires meeting those parameters. Then you can see people's reviews of them and that can be quite useful information.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2003 Clk 55 AMG 1997 E420 Sport
66 Posts
i just put some bridgestone potenza re760 sports on our clk55 and i love them.Had some potenzas on the e420 some time ago and loved them too.
Dont know about mileage yet,but they are quite,look good and do really well in the rain.
Dean

·
Registered
W210 E430
267 Posts
Dunlop Direzza Z1 extreme performance tire. Check it out on tire rack read reviews.

Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric's Max performance summer tire. Check out the reviews on this also

·
Registered
2002 E430 4-Matic
1,338 Posts
Pilot Sports won't fit. The only 16" summer tire Michilen makes is the Pilot Exalto PE2. And that's not available in 215 55.
I don't know how much latitude there is in fitting an E320 but if you stick to 215 55 16, you are extreemly limited in summer tire selection.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry i failed to mention tire size....

i'm running 17"ers....235-45's

·
Registered
2002 e320 4 Matic Wagon
364 Posts
i just put some bridgestone potenza re760 sports on our clk55 and i love them.Had some potenzas on the e420 some time ago and loved them too.
Dont know about mileage yet,but they are quite,look good and do really well in the rain.
Dean
I just put the Potenza RE760 (225-40-18) .I really like the tires. Nice look and hugs the road well.Great value and seems very good quality.I don't know about you guys in the states but here in Canada Bridgestone gives a 1 month trial on the tires. If you don't like them for any reason, you can change for any other Bridgestone tires with full credit of the price paid.Great promotion.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 Clk 55 AMG 1997 E420 Sport
66 Posts
I just put the Potenza RE760 (225-40-18) .I really like the tires. Nice look and hugs the road well.Great value and seems very good quality.I don't know about you guys in the states but here in Canada Bridgestone gives a 1 month trial on the tires. If you don't like them for any reason, you can change for any other Bridgestone tires with full credit of the price paid.Great promotion.:thumbsup:
Yeah They do the same trial here as well.
Ive had several sets of the potenzas on various Mercedes and always like them.
Dean

1 - 12 of 12 Posts