Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
08 ML 320 CDI, 99 ML320 V6, 00 CLK430 Cab
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm storing my 00 CLK 430 Cab in a covered carport with a good breathable cover on it. I'm putting Damp Rid bags in the car and trunk. Probably put some mouse bait blocks on a tire or two. Any advice on how to take care of the battery? I have a good 3 amp battery maintainer that I can use. I've been advised to disconnect the battery and other things but I'm worried about having no voltage in the car. Last year I paid $110 a month to store it indoors with the battery tender plugged in. They kept it near an open door with no tender. The car was so dead that it couldn't be jump started. I had to carry a new battery in and they installed it to start it. I had malfunction codes out the rear. It took over a month and $$ to get them solved. I don't feel like taking the battery out because it is so heavy. Should I disconnect the battery and put the tender on the cables...or the battery? If it goes without juice for several months am I going to have the same malfunction problems?
How would you do it?

·
Registered
'06 CLS500 '01 CLK320, '84 300D
531 Posts
About 10 years ago I used to leave mine down there for months while back up north. At the time I didn't have a solar panel hooked up to it and no access to constant electric to keep a trickle charge on it. What I did was disconnect the negative terminal, and kept a charged booster pack inside the car itself. For whatever reason my key blade never opened the trunk manually since I bought her used in '03, so I needed to get juice to the car to pop the trunk.

Every time I'd arrive in FL I'd remove the cover from the car, use the blade to manually unlock the door, pop the hood and hookup the booster pack to the positive terminal on the drivers side, pop the trunk, remove booster pack, connect negative side, then fire her up!

Yes, you will certainly have the lights on the dash pop up but turning the wheel left to right 3 times clears them. You'll also have to reset the windows (hold both buttons all the way down, hold 3 seconds, then up all the way and hold 10 seconds). This entire process takes less than 2 mins and she's ready to roll.

My logic with the battery is: if a fully charged battery can sit on the shelf at AutoZone for months and be ready to go then same should apply for one sitting in the trunk. As long as the gremlins can't drain it you'll be ok. I did it this way for almost 3 years.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts