Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man there are a lot of models out there. Let's open a can of worms here, and ask what would be the most recomended Mog for a newbie to purchase?

It would be daily driven in Southern Alberta, Canada. I am fairly mechanically inclined, with limited shop access and not real sure where it could be worked on if major issues came up. I have a limited purchase budget, and even more limited knowledge of the Mog.

It seems that most units are '60s vintage, but with low mileage. How much repair is typically involved with the older units. I really like the Mogs, but I would like to spend as much of my limited "free" time with my family, as that is something that I haven't been able to do for a while. I don't mind doing the maintenance, but if I have to spend as much time under it as I do driving it, I'm not all that interested.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Man there are a lot of models out there. Let's open a can of worms here, and ask what would be the most recomended Mog for a newbie to purchase?

It would be daily driven in Southern Alberta, Canada. I am fairly mechanically inclined, with limited shop access and not real sure where it could be worked on if major issues came up. I have a limited purchase budget, and even more limited knowledge of the Mog.

It seems that most units are '60s vintage, but with low mileage. How much repair is typically involved with the older units. I really like the Mogs, but I would like to spend as much of my limited "free" time with my family, as that is something that I haven't been able to do for a while. I don't mind doing the maintenance, but if I have to spend as much time under it as I do driving it, I'm not all that interested.

Thanks.
We always have a lively discussion on this topic, but you didn't tell us why you are thinking about getting a Mog in the first place. If its a cool item to spin around the town square on Sunday afternoon, you're gonna get a different answer than if you plan to move a couple feet of snow all winter.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Whatever mog you choose, I would recommend that you find a mog that has been in regular daily driving use with excellent maintance in the close past, if don't want to spend a lot of time working on it. Even though someone's daily driver/ user mog will most likely have more miles, if maintained and cared for, it will serve you better, from my experience. Someone else has worked the bugs out of the truck if they have been daily driving it for a year. Seems like the lower the miles and hours (even with proper storage), the more damage time has caused on the rubber components of the brake system, seals in the axles/ engine/ transmission, ect. Anything rubber needs to be used on a regular basis to keep it in working order, so the more often the truck is run through it's paces, the more likely that it will serve you well. This is not to say that after a good going through that a low mile truck won't be a good candidate, but if it has been sitting for years it will need attention.

As far as the mog to best suit your needs, there are many factors to concider... your budget, what you are going to use it for, how fast you need the vehicle to travel, if there are any clearance issues with where you will keep or drive the mog, ect. Personally, I would go with one of the square cab unimogs if the budget allows and it is not too big for your application.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Right, if you're buying a Mog to impress the (non-greenie) chicks, then buy a nice clean 404 trooper. If you need to work it or have dreams of serious wheeling action, you need to answer many more questions. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Please, for the sake of your family and financial well being don't ever consider a Mog. It is a drug that has no availible cure. Once your hooked you will never be able to live without a Mog again. If you get a diesel you will crave the smell of the eye stinging smoke and the sound of it firing up in the morning. Your friends with Heaps will shun you as a baby Huey outcast. You wont be invited to go wheeling as your ruts are to big and you make the others look small. If your married your wife will be jealous of the other women eying your big machine. Your community will see you as that fruitcake down the road with that ridiculous truck. Well, you get the idea, now leave here before it's to late. Oh, and I recommend a nice big 20 speed 406 diesel with a hydraulic winch and 14X20 Michelins.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Please, for the sake of your family and financial well being don't ever consider a Mog. It is a drug that has no availible cure. Once your hooked you will never be able to live without a Mog again. If you get a diesel you will crave the smell of the eye stinging smoke and the sound of it firing up in the morning. Your friends with Heaps will shun you as a baby Huey outcast. You wont be invited to go wheeling as your ruts are to big and you make the others look small. If your married your wife will be jealous of the other women eying your big machine. Your community will see you as that fruitcake down the road with that ridiculous truck. Well, you get the idea, now leave here before it's to late. Oh, and I recommend a nice big 20 speed 406 diesel with a hydraulic winch and 14X20 Michelins.
I'm with Graphic66, turn back now or never leave. If you need to work it, get a diesel, if it's just for play then get whatever you want. I prefer the diesel for its pure grunt, though thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Regardless of anything else, the diesel mogs are tough and make great snow plows. My 79 Case MB 94/4 is paying for itself and making my property far more accessible than ever before. Besides that, every time I get in and drive it (on dirt roads) I love it. I would not recommend it for street driving though.

Steve

·
Registered
251 Posts
I love driving my Mog on paved highways. It amazes me that an 11,000lb. truck can drive so nicely. Of course the Mog is way better suited for offroad. I take my Mog a few times a year on long highway drives to go offroading and camping. Every time I really look forward to the drive. With great power steering and a comfortable stock seat it just rolls down the road. With my 49" tires I get a pretty good top end, for a Mog, cruising at about 40-45 MPH very nicely on the flats. It also gets incredible fuel mileage, about 17- 20MPG. Once you get a Mog dialed in they are just plain fun to drive anywhere. I do try and stay off 4 lane highways. I have found that cruising down the old alternate routes is very interesting and at the slower speed you get to see much more than speeding by.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I agree that my mog does well on the highway. I don't get near the 17-20mpg range. I do cruise 60-65 mph but really slow down on the passes 35-40mph. Overall it has been a great purchase. They are not the most practical vehicle but mine has been fun. I'd say drive as many types as you can, then wait for the "special" one that you must have. Good luck,
Chas

·
Registered
408 Posts
I love driving my Mog on paved highways. It amazes me that an 11,000lb. truck can drive so nicely. Of course the Mog is way better suited for offroad. I take my Mog a few times a year on long highway drives to go offroading and camping. Every time I really look forward to the drive. With great power steering and a comfortable stock seat it just rolls down the road. With my 49" tires I get a pretty good top end, for a Mog, cruising at about 40-45 MPH very nicely on the flats. It also gets incredible fuel mileage, about 17- 20MPG. Once you get a Mog dialed in they are just plain fun to drive anywhere. I do try and stay off 4 lane highways. I have found that cruising down the old alternate routes is very interesting and at the slower speed you get to see much more than speeding by.
The above begs the question - What kind of mog do you have ?
(no mention in your profile either)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts