Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquireed a 300TD 85 wagon. Over the past month I have driven about 1000 miles with no difficulty. This past weekend I took a 350 mile trip and was thrilled with how well the car handled. Unfortunately the car had some issues tonight. After sitting for a week, I drove about 5 miles before the car sudedenly lost power and wouldn't acclerate. The engine continued to idle smoothly and I could actually roll along at 5 mph... but when I pressed the gas peddle nothing substantial happened. There were maybe 5 instances over a 6 mile stretch back to the house that the car would accelerate normally up to 40 mph before suddenly losing power again.

Once I parked I opened up the hood... pressing the gas peddle still causes all the control rods (the erector set like network of thin metal rods all over the engine) to engage properly but there is no response from the engine.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds like turbocharger fault, get your boost gauge and check how many psi you get...the internal wastegate is set a 7-8 psi. Since your car is an 85 you might have a trap oxidizer.. I got mines replaced by the dealer like 2 weeks ago. My car did the same thing when i got it last summer it was a Rocket, now my car loses to a go-ped. My turbo is locked i get Vacuum of 10 psi (Negative 10) when i rev the engine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loss of power

Is the turbocharger likely to be involved if the engine won't even rev...it is unreponsive to depressing the gas peddle?

·
Registered
362 Posts
With a diesel always check your fuel
filter(s) first if you have performance
problems.
The inline one is usually the one to give
you problems.
If it is a clear one than you can see if it
is black and you know that it is time to
replace it.

I next is the line going from the back of the
intake manifold to the overboost sensor.
The banjo bolt on the manifold gets clogged and
the turbo doesn't work as it should.

Still fuel related is the tank screen.
If it is clogged you'll have problems.

Also if you have the old style primer pump and
if it is leaking you could have air being sucked in.
I don't know if the '85s had it upgraded already or not.

Hope this helps.

Louis.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Skogs said:
Is the turbocharger likely to be involved if the engine won't even rev...it is unreponsive to depressing the gas peddle?
make sure your throttle linkage is good. Car wont Rev if you go pedal to the metal? But go through the list of stuff mybenz123 sent you those are the Prelims :) let me know if any improvement

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved

The throttle linkages were the problem and were sadly a problem of my own creation. While I intitially claimed that "pressing the gas peddle still causes all the control rods (the erector set like network of thin metal rods all over the engine) to engage properly but there is no response from the engine" I was mistaken. In the darkness I failed to notice that not only had one become discconnected...but the whole mounting to the engine had become disengaged. I had reattached the bolts with the right tork when I replaced a seal.

Next time I post I will make sure I have thoroughly examined the visibly obvious portions of the car first. The problem took 7 minutes to fix. Amazingly all of the bolts were still present despite bouncing around loose.

Where it says "junior member" please insert "for life"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
Skogs
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing