Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,
There is a 1994 C280 (W202) in my family that just recently lost its interior lights and central locking ability. I realize these two 'functions' are combined as far as the fuse circuit goes but that helps none when the fuse blows right away after being replaced. Should I approach troubleshooting this problem as an electrical issue or a vacuum issue? I have searched the forums regarding this problem but found nothing directly relating to it- I apologize if I missed the answer already posted. Also, this C280 does not have remote locking (or remote anything) from the factory.
Thanks to all for contributing to the wealth of insight & knowledge this great website provides!

Chris Racine

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lights Fixed!!!

Hi-
I figured I would answer my own post about how I went about fixing part of the problem I listed. After doing a fair amount of research on this site (and others) I found that there is a 'control' box in the trunk on the right side that is in charge of central locking and the interior lights functions. I actually found the fix insight on another forum- the SLK forum. Not knowing if this unit was even in my car I found that this box- if I had it- controls the two problems I had and is the reason why they share a common fuse.
The C280 does have this 'box'. I removed it (after unplugging the vacuum lines and the three snap-connectors) and saw it damp on the outside from moisture in the trunk and such. I then opened the box and gave all the contact points (for the connectors) and the pc board an appropriate chemical cleaning. I let it dry and put it back together not knowing if I fixed anything but figured the work couldn't hurt. After reinstalling the box in its foam case I figured I would check the quality of the ground 'star' connection that is above the battery. This one ground point (on the wheel well) is one of many major grounds for many components in the car and I didn't like the resistance that point showed via my DMM when connected the battery ground. I then added a 10ga. ground wire from the star ground point to the battery ground nice and securely and replaced all the panels I removed for access and hoped for the best.
I now have all interior lights and don't blow any fuses anymore. The central locking doesn't work yet. That is, not until I find where this hanging vacuum line (behind motor) connects to- but I will find it.
So did my cleaning of the control box in the trunk or my adding a supporting ground solved the electrical issue? I don't know (or care) which solved the main issue (lights). I hope this gives back to this great Benz Community in some small way. I have obtained tons of insight from people on these forums-thank you!
Cheers!
Chris Racine

1 - 2 of 2 Posts