Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I was engaging my GL into park at a store and the truck suddenly accelerated into the brick wall that was 3 feet from the parking spot. $17,000 in damage - evidenced that I braked- skid marks before the wall leads me to believe this was a mechanical failure with the tectonic parking shifter. A friend of a neighbor had the same thing happen. Both of us were given a the story by Mercedes that the vehicle codes were normal - vehicle is safe to drive and the assumption that we hit the gas instead of the brake. I don't want to drive my GL now. I don't trust the vehicle. Anyone else have a parking incident like mine. I feel like everyone thinks I am crazy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a GL450 '12 and it is excellent.

Don't know what could've happened to your car, but I couldn't be happier with mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2006 MB CLK350 2-door coupe and I had the dash light for a defective ignition coil. I had it replaced together with all the spark plugs a month ago. Ever since the car jerks forward when I break. I didn't look into the problem thinking that it is of no consequence. No warning light. However today I parked the car in the street and after the final breaking, it jerked forward and it hit the bumper of the car in front. No damage to the other car other than a scratched bumper but my front corner is damaged. It is very hot day, 90F, so it might have to do with the building gas vapour pressure. I have the little diagnostic computer, so I'll check. Will MB take responsibility? How shall I proceed?

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,126 Posts
MB will not do anything on a 9 year old car.

If there was widespread problem like what Toyota had several years ago then MB would have to respond.

The lurching forward at the end of the braking could very well be a problem with the 7g transmission. A lot of them had problems, but MB never did cover the repair out of warranty or create a service campaign.
Most small scan tools will not access the ABS or transmission codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's a CLK350 2-door coupe. I have the OBDII computer and it detects the codes P0170 and P0173, which are related to the air/fuel mixture ratio. The oxygen sensor 1 could have overheated (very hot outside today) and the ECM (engine control module). The MIL (malfunction indicator light in the dashboard) was not ON because probably the ratio didn't reach the threshold. For insurance purpose then I am the one responsible for the crash?

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
I don't know based on your state's or country laws. I am not sure where you are located.

I have never seen an O2 code are fuel ratio issue cause a car to lurch after braking.

Is there a way you can find a place that can scan for the transmission codes without robbing you?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife drives a 2015 GLA 250 and had a recent identical experience. She was pulling into a parking space when the car suddenly accelerated and drove the vehicle into a brick wall. The airbags deployed. No alarms sounded and despite an autobrake and crash avoidance system, the car struck the wall without any autobraking. My wife sustained a concussion and significant contusions from the airbag deployment at low speed. I reported the incident to Mercedes, but I have not received a call back. I'd like to know if this is a common problem and why the crash avoidance system did not engage to stop the car. After all, isn't this exactly what the commercials show?

·
Registered
1 Posts
dear all

has Mercedes ever acknowledged this kind of problem ?
are there any court cases against mercedes for this ?

best regards

Jan H. ROBYN
Belgium

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
Not that I am aware of.

It does not mean it has not happened, but if it was a widespread problem the EU and USA motor vehicle safety agencies would have many complaints and put their findings online.

·
Registered
2015 BENZ GLA-Class GLA250 4MATIC
3 Posts
Sudden Unintended Acceleration

My wife drives a 2015 GLA 250 and had a recent identical experience. She was pulling into a parking space when the car suddenly accelerated and drove the vehicle into a brick wall. The airbags deployed. No alarms sounded and despite an autobrake and crash avoidance system, the car struck the wall without any autobraking. My wife sustained a concussion and significant contusions from the airbag deployment at low speed. I reported the incident to Mercedes, but I have not received a call back. I'd like to know if this is a common problem and why the crash avoidance system did not engage to stop the car. After all, isn't this exactly what the commercials show?
I have a 2015 Mercedes Benz GLA-Class GLA250 4MATIC. I used to love my car. I had one minor issue with the hatch not going down and they said they re-programmed my car. I then thought, my car is a computer. This is what happened last week. I was driving to meet a friend for lunch. I came up upon a stop light that was already red and I would have been the third car in line. I came to what I thought was a stop. I was about a car length or more behind the car in front of me. Next thing I know, I hear a loud bang as my car had accelerated into the car in front of me with my foot on the brake.
That car, in turn, hit the car in front of them. I was very confused. I received a traffic ticket for uncontrolled speed. The policeman thought I was I was crazy when I said that I had come to a stop. The car was driveable, so I still went to lunch with my friend. No problem whatsoever with parking or driving the car to the restaurant, which was about 1
mile away. After lunch, I then needed to run an errand before I went home. I drove about 2 blocks away from the restaurant and pulled into a shopping center. I then slowly pulled into a parking spot between two other cars. As my car hit the curb, it then went over the curb, onto the sidewalk and slammed into the concrete wall of one of the shops. I was able to get home, very shaken, and researched on the internet. Everything I found indicated it was Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA). I told my insurance company and also called Mercedes Benz USA. I had my car towed to the Mercedes collision repair shop. Mercedes did a recorded conversation and said not to have the car repaired
and they would look at it. They were defensive when I mention SUA, but my mat is velcroed on and it happened twice in one day. After the second collision, I saw a message on my dash that said : “Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative". My airbags never deployed. I checked at the Mercedes Collision center today and was told Mercedes
removed a black recording box from my car. I have not heard anything back as of yet. I am afraid to drive this car even if it is repaired.

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,823 Posts
I have a 2015 Mercedes Benz GLA-Class GLA250 4MATIC. I used to love my car. I had one minor issue with the hatch not going down and they said they re-programmed my car. I then thought, my car is a computer. This is what happened last week. I was driving to meet a friend for lunch. I came up upon a stop light that was already red and I would have been the third car in line. I came to what I thought was a stop. I was about a car length or more behind the car in front of me. Next thing I know, I hear a loud bang as my car had accelerated into the car in front of me with my foot on the brake.
That car, in turn, hit the car in front of them. I was very confused. I received a traffic ticket for uncontrolled speed. The policeman thought I was I was crazy when I said that I had come to a stop. The car was driveable, so I still went to lunch with my friend. No problem whatsoever with parking or driving the car to the restaurant, which was about 1
mile away. After lunch, I then needed to run an errand before I went home. I drove about 2 blocks away from the restaurant and pulled into a shopping center. I then slowly pulled into a parking spot between two other cars. As my car hit the curb, it then went over the curb, onto the sidewalk and slammed into the concrete wall of one of the shops. I was able to get home, very shaken, and researched on the internet. Everything I found indicated it was Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA). I told my insurance company and also called Mercedes Benz USA. I had my car towed to the Mercedes collision repair shop. Mercedes did a recorded conversation and said not to have the car repaired
and they would look at it. They were defensive when I mention SUA, but my mat is velcroed on and it happened twice in one day. After the second collision, I saw a message on my dash that said : “Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative". My airbags never deployed. I checked at the Mercedes Collision center today and was told Mercedes
removed a black recording box from my car. I have not heard anything back as of yet. I am afraid to drive this car even if it is repaired.
File a Vehicle Safety Complaint

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

·
Registered
2015 BENZ GLA-Class GLA250 4MATIC
3 Posts
Sudden Unintended Acceleration - I have a 2015 Mercedes Benz GLA-Class GLA250 4MATIC. I used to love my car. I had one minor issue with the hatch not going down and they said they re-programmed my car. I then thought, my car is a computer. This is what happened last week. I was driving to meet a friend for lunch. I came up upon a stop light that was already red and I would have been the third car in line. I came to what I thought was a stop. I was about a car length or more behind the car in front of me. Next thing I know, I hear a loud bang as my car had accelerated into the car in front of me with my foot on the brake.
mile away. After lunch, I then needed to run an errand before I went home. I drove about 2 blocks away from the restaurant and pulled into a shopping center. I then slowly pulled into a parking spot between two other cars. As my car hit the curb, it then went over the curb, onto the sidewalk and slammed into the concrete wall of one of the shops. I was able to get home, very shaken, and researched on the internet. Everything I found indicated it was Sudden Unintended Acceleration (SUA). I told my insurance company and also called Mercedes Benz USA. I had my car towed to the Mercedes collision repair shop. Mercedes did a recorded conversation and said not to have the car repaired and they would look at it. They were defensive when I mention SUA, but my mat is velcroed on and it happened twice in one day. After the second collision, I saw a message on my dash that said : “Collision Prevention Assist Plus Inoperative". My airbags never deployed. I checked at the Mercedes Collision center today and was told Mercedes removed a black recording box from my car. I have not heard anything back as of yet. I am afraid to drive this car even if it is repaired.

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,823 Posts
MB will not do anything on a 9 year old car.

If there was widespread problem like what Toyota had several years ago then MB would have to respond.

The lurching forward at the end of the braking could very well be a problem with the 7g transmission. A lot of them had problems, but MB never did cover the repair out of warranty or create a service campaign.
Most small scan tools will not access the ABS or transmission codes.
Ahhh, they just, in the last year, extended the warranty on SBC. That's on 17 year old cars.

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
That is indeed true.
With SBC so many cars had it and they were all in a position of not if but when the SBC would go out so they had no choice.
It was a settlement with the NHSTA. It was far cheaper to extend the warranty to 25 years and unlimited mileage.

While I do believe the OP the lurching forward issue, I have only seen a few other mention it on 3 MB forums so I wish MB would
treat him right, but it seems the amount of good will repairs has dropped close to 90% in many US markets.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,674 Posts
As an aside,
In the 60's my fathers had bought a W108 sedan, which turned out to be a true 'lemon,' with issues that weren't fixed after many visits to our local Mercedes dealership.
When Daimler Benz and the local dealership they stopped either trying to fix, or provide compense, my father with his construction business and all kinds of heavy machinery and good connection to the city, first obtained all the necessary permits for the city's main square.
He then took out a half page newspaper ad, telling the story of the car, inviting the press and everyone else with a time and date the car would be publicly destroyed.
Several of the biggest employees with big hammers and a road compactor were standing by.
Two days before the date Daimler Benz called to offer a new car.

My father was a larger than life character. There was another time where the safe in his office couldn't be opened, not even by the service people from the manufacturer. After there was no progress for some time, he placed a newspaper ad with brand and model of the safe, saying 'Safecracker Wanted.' No kidding.

·
Purple Moderator
22,126 Posts
He sounds like a real character. I would have loved to have sen the look on the MB suits faces as that ad he took out moved up the ladder. ;)

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,674 Posts
He sounds like a real character. I would have loved to have sen the look on the MB suits faces as that ad he took out moved up the ladder. ;)
People who knew him also knew he wasn't bluffing. The city center square had a parking lot in the middle. He was friends with both the mayor and chief of police, who had provided all necessary permits, and both of the town's newspapers with photographer would have been there.
Daimler Benz offered a new car literally on the afternoon before the planned 'event'.

Pic of the W111 which preceded the W108 he had bought from same dealer (i found the original 1962 invoice).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts