Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even an inch of snow & my car is already sliding around. Do these cars really suck during the winter or what?

Im really considering not driving it much during the winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
front engine + rear wheel drive = crap in the snow

so yeah this car is not a jeep by any means...In my 1994 C280 I was trying to climb this little incline before turning onto a busy street (I mean this incline was tiny), and I couldn't get traction at all I was just burning out. I say if your car needs new tires then now is the time to get them with the upcoming winter months. Drive safe and use your best judgment

·
Registered
265 Posts
You need to run the thinnest tire possible. 195 60 15 & must be winter tires. Thin equals more weight down on the road surface therefore more traction.

You can add 2x 50 pound bags of road salt in the trunk.

Do that & you will be OK. If not don't blame the car.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Yeah, this is one time of year when performance style tires/tread design show their weakness. Wider tires really compound the issue. If you have wider performance tires with worn tread, then you are really sucking ;)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
That seems like a good tire but DT is really pushy and works off commission. Don't forget the mounting and balancing fee as well. I usually pass on the road hazard and invest in some DIY tire plugs. Some people I know have a mini portable air compressor they keep in the trunk.
I use the Falken ZE-329 all season, been a smooth rider for about a year. Might want to consider Pirelli if you can find them too. Ran about 400 dollars for the set, if you go with B.F or Goodyear it will most likely cost more. Best advice, take it slow, if you want the most traction you will have to invest in chains and load the trunk or simply stay off the road, Need to remember the W and S feature. Yes, this model is a heavy horse during snow season. B

·
Registered
373 Posts
running pirelli snowsports 205 55 16 all around on steelies , 150 lbs of weight in the trunk ( 2 12's and amp) full tank of gas , runs like a champs we have about 2 inches of snow right now and no problems with sliding , the pirellis stop really good too , benz is much better than most rear wheel drives out the , the full traction control helps alot , good luck

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I just changed my tires and it made a world of difference in traction. I bought some Bridgestone Pole Position's and love them, soooo much quieter inside the car now than on my old tires also.

Finally, don't forget the value of switching your transmission into "W" mode in the winter, you get better grip on starts that way.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd try 3 bags of sand, and see what happens. You may be very surprised. Of course, your tires could still be a problem. Also, switch to winter mode on the transmission, which starts in second gear. I use this all year, as I get breakaway in the rain.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Just drift each turn and off ramps :p

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Not even an inch of snow & my car is already sliding around. Do these cars really suck during the winter or what?
Im really considering not driving it much during the winter.
Snow tires definitely make a difference, and I would never drive my W202 in the winter without them. But when it is just a dusting of snow, pretty much any car is going to have a harder time. That is the worst traction condition, aside from ice. There isn't enough snow on the ground for the tire to push through, instead the friction from the tire just melts it a bit and makes things slippery.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
yah rudedude you got it rough with all that snow in san bernardino haha!
Maybe you didn't realize that I live in an area of the country that is surrounded by several big mountain ranges. The San Bernardino Mountains, San Gorgonio Mountains and the San Gabrial Mountains. Ranging in elevation from 8000 to over 12000 feet. I frequent these mountains and have Climbed most of the tall ones... Yes I do drive in the snow.

Where I live I can go to the desert for breakfast, have lunch on the beach and have dinner in the mountains. Some of the best rated skiing in California, the most exclusive beaches and the biggest desert in the United States, the Mojave Desert... All within an hours drive from my house...

·
Registered
171 Posts
yah i guess in so cal you do drive the better part of 6 months in snow no matter where you go, the beach, desert or the mountains on weekends. sorry my mistake.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: C280 In Snow-
ALL SEASON TIRES MEAN NO SEASON TIRES!
Come on, get new BRIDGESTONE BLIZZACK Snow Tires on all FOUR and you'll go in snow...no problem. I bought used 15" M.B. Alloys and put new Blizzacks on them...thats the way to go!
Subvet
96-C280
2000-C230K
77-240D
71-250

·
Registered
373 Posts
blizzaks are very good i agree had them on my integra never had problems, michelin x-ice , pirelli snowsports and yokohama ice guards are also really good tires

1 - 20 of 46 Posts