Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a guy selling what he claims is an AMG CE coupe. I saw a couple of pictures, but it looks like a 1988 300CE, except is has a V8. Looks like a 500 or 560 motor out of a W126 car, but I am not sure. It has white gauges also, and quilted white inserts in the seats. Is there such a thing as an AMG CE? I haven't seen any CE cars in AMG brocures, and am doing some due diligence. Has any one seen a CE with a period V8?
Thanks, Victor

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Could be anything; look in the door jamb to see who imported it. Ask him to see the records of the car. Ask him who put the V8 in there? Maybe AMG, and maybe just some guy. I wouldn't say it's a real AMG Hammer because they are few and far between, but you never what you're looking at until you start discovering what it is.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Is this the car that was for sale in Colorado about three years ago?

Owner was asking $35K, got down to $29K, but at that time was probably worth about $25K.
Market is soft so $20K-$25K range considering the interior and that Ruskin's DOHC "Hammer" coupe sold for about $33K at B-J auction early last year...

If it is the same car, it is a real Westmont built M117 SOHC with a non original custom interior...
I don't remember if it is a 5.6 or 6.0 SOHC.
Note the hole in the fan shroud possibly caused by bad motor mounts and the engine moving?

What's the current asking price?

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is this the car that was for sale in Colorado about three years ago?

Owner was asking $35K, got down to $29K, but at that time was probably worth about $25K.
Market is soft so $20K-$25K range considering the interior and that Ruskin's DOHC "Hammer" coupe sold for about $33K at B-J auction early last year...

If it is the same car, it is a real Westmont built M117 SOHC with a non original custom interior...
I don't remember if it is a 5.6 or 6.0 SOHC.
Note the hole in the fan shroud possibly caused by bad motor mounts and the engine moving?

What's the current asking price?
It appears to be the same car with ugly interior and wheels! I will find out the asking price, but what do you mean by 'Westmont built' when describing the motor?
Thanks, Victor

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
In the early days before AMG became the "in house" tuner arm of Mercedes Benz, Westmont (in Chicago) and BHMA (Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories) were the only two autorized AMG outlets in the US. Each car built was a custom order per the desires of customer.

Jayare

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It appears to be the same car with ugly interior and wheels! I will find out the asking price, but what do you mean by 'Westmont built' when describing the motor?
Thanks, Victor
Victor

To add a bit more to what Jim just posted...

AMG North America Central was in the Chicago suburb of Westmont Illinois and owned by Hans-Werner Aufrecht and run by Richard Buxbaum.
If I recall they were the only North American AMG facility that did the M117 DOHC Hammer conversions and the M117 SOHC conversions.

A real give away on the Westmont builds is the ducktail.
Westmont fabricated the ducktail from sheetmetal and blended it into the body panels.
All other AMG locations simply installed the standard AMG poly urethane ducktail.

I'm trying to locate the history on this M117 SOHC C124 and believe the original owner was a Doctor and it was commissioned around the same time as a recently discussed 6.0L SOHC 300TE known as the "Mallet".

If it is the same car then the side skirts and the lower part of the front and rear spoilers are coated with a color matched pebble surface chip guard finish...

Ed A.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victor

A real give away on the Westmont builds is the ducktail.
Westmont fabricated the ducktail from sheetmetal and blended it into the body panels.
All other AMG locations simply installed the standard AMG poly urethane ducktail.

I'm trying to locate the history on this M117 SOHC C124 and believe the original owner was a Doctor and it was commissioned around the same time as a recently discussed 6.0L SOHC 300TE known as the "Mallet".

Ed A.

The car has an added-on ducktail. I don't know if it is metal or polyurethane, but you can see in the picture is is not blended into the body panels. Maybe this isn't the same car? And if you can find and history, please let me know because I am going to see it on Saturday and want to be able to make an educated offer based on what it really is.
Thanks, Victor

Attachments

·
W124 Moderator
12,601 Posts
It is the same car that's been mentioned. License plate numbers are the same, add on duck tail is the same. As has been ask in several other post on this thread..... Asking price this time around???

Jim

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
The car has an added-on ducktail. I don't know if it is metal or polyurethane, but you can see in the picture is is not blended into the body panels. Maybe this isn't the same car? And if you can find and history, please let me know because I am going to see it on Saturday and want to be able to make an educated offer based on what it really is.
Thanks, Victor
Victor

All Westmont builds didn't use the sheetmetal ducktail...but only Westmont offered the sheetmetal ducktail.
It is the same car and I would think the value is in the $20K-$25K range...
Market is soft and the custom interior and non period AMG wheels take away from collector value.

A few more pix....the speedo is correct AMG and the label in the lower left in French indicates a Canadian import, the same as the 300TE I mentioned which may have both been built for the same owner. Westmont sometimes brought cars in from Canada.

A better pic of the engine shows the hole in the fan shroud...

It's a more practical driver and less maintenance then the DOHC Hammer and if it is in good condition would be an excellent purchase at the correct price....!!!

Ed A.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is the same car that's been mentioned. License plate numbers are the same, add on duck tail is the same. As has been ask in several other post on this thread..... Asking price this time around???

Jim

Already sold. $17K is what it sold for. The only AMG things visible on the car was the ducktail spoiler, exhaust tips, and the gauge faces. No AMG steering wheel. No white springs. No Recaro seats. No AMG interior appointments. As far as I could tell it was just a normal high power 5.6 liter motor. Had tri Y headers, but nothing else visible looked AMG. The air intake tubes just dropped down in the engine bay...not connected to any ram-air opening in the grill......not what AMG would do. Right valve cover sits a couple inches lower than left, so engine not mounted in engine bay level. Left side of engine pressed agains hood. Fan rubbed on shroud. These are signs of what AMG would not do building a so called Hammer. Stock E class brakes also. Nothing looked beefed up in the suspension. Sorry to be devil's advocate, but I think the buyer got taken. I think this is just a 300CE that someone dropped a 5.6 V8 into and put a spoiler and gauge faces on. That is my opinion. If it were a real 'hammer' they would have come the little extra steps to put on many more AMG features on their flagship car, imo.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
FWIW, Ruskin's coupe was Tired..."indicated" less miles then the Hammer wagon, but about 2 minutes of looking and it was obvious the Coupe had Well in excess of the wagon based on general wear and tear. I might add the odo numbers were all off/out of alignment by 1 click..signs of a botched roll job if there ever was one.

If this was a Canadian car chances are Feingold did have it made...I know someone I can ask to verify as much. Feingold commissioned the Hammer Wagon, not the SOHC Mallet.

This car might be more practical, but a 5.6L SOHC, even in ECE trim is just Boring compared to a properly sorted quad cam 6L.. that engine crawls under your skin and Never leaves. I've been driving the 32V 6L SEC pretty much every day for the last two weeks and have been Loving every minute of it.. rear tyres are a Lot shorter then when I took delivery but such is the price we pay;-)

jono

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
The only AMG things visible on the car was the ducktail spoiler, exhaust tips, and the gauge faces. No AMG steering wheel. No white springs. No Recaro seats. No AMG interior appointments. As far as I could tell it was just a normal high power 5.6 liter motor. Had tri Y headers, but nothing else visible looked AMG. The air intake tubes just dropped down in the engine bay...not connected to any ram-air opening in the grill......not what AMG would do. Right valve cover sits a couple inches lower than left, so engine not mounted in engine bay level. Left side of engine pressed agains hood. Fan rubbed on shroud. These are signs of what AMG would not do building a so called Hammer. Stock E class brakes also. Nothing looked beefed up in the suspension. Sorry to be devil's advocate, but I think the buyer got taken. I think this is just a 300CE that someone dropped a 5.6 V8 into and put a spoiler and gauge faces on. That is my opinion. If it were a real 'hammer' they would have come the little extra steps to put on many more AMG features on their flagship car, imo.
Just to work through the above.. Feingold never gussied up his [email protected] least not on his earlier cars.. His 129's were gone over in much greater detail, but his 560SEL 32V got a wood kit and cluster.. The Wagon received the same treatment.
None of the Hammers, sedan, coupe or wagon..have their snorkels hooked up to any ram air mechanism. Not ideal..but there isn't much Room to do anything either.
I've seen late AMG springs which were black..also, a lot of AMG springs have Sagged badly on the 124's and simply required replacement to make the cars drive-able.
All V8's dropped in 124's sit like that, they have to in order to clear the steering box.. it's Very evident in all the Hammers they have built. I'll bet someone was having trouble w/ the exhaust hitting said box and shimmed the mount in an effort to stop the knocking..perhaps shimmed a bit too far..
We had a Full on Hammer, replete w/ every interior/exterior option in here...still was running stock 300E brakes..not every one ponied up for that upgrade...

There is every chance this car Isn't an AMG...but just based on what you have stated as to make it Not, not so much.. AMG did what ever you wanted.. hell, look @ the Mallet wagon..it's basically a Stock 300TE w/ a body kit and the 6L dropped in.. a Nice driver on a "budget". I'd suspect this car was built by a similarly minded client.

Jonathan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to work through the above.. Feingold never gussied up his [email protected] least not on his earlier cars.. His 129's were gone over in much greater detail, but his 560SEL 32V got a wood kit and cluster.. The Wagon received the same treatment.
None of the Hammers, sedan, coupe or wagon..have their snorkels hooked up to any ram air mechanism. Not ideal..but there isn't much Room to do anything either.
I've seen late AMG springs which were black..also, a lot of AMG springs have Sagged badly on the 124's and simply required replacement to make the cars drive-able.
All V8's dropped in 124's sit like that, they have to in order to clear the steering box.. it's Very evident in all the Hammers they have built. I'll bet someone was having trouble w/ the exhaust hitting said box and shimmed the mount in an effort to stop the knocking..perhaps shimmed a bit too far..
We had a Full on Hammer, replete w/ every interior/exterior option in here...still was running stock 300E brakes..not every one ponied up for that upgrade...

There is every chance this car Isn't an AMG...but just based on what you have stated as to make it Not, not so much.. AMG did what ever you wanted.. hell, look @ the Mallet wagon..it's basically a Stock 300TE w/ a body kit and the 6L dropped in.. a Nice driver on a "budget". I'd suspect this car was built by a similarly minded client.

Jonathan

Thanks for all the information. I am probably just sour grapes since I thought I could buy it for less and didn't get it!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
@vaholtorf, no worries.. learning the maze of the AMG is Process!! With cars like there you can also play it out along the lines of, what would it take me to create this should I not purchase this one? You'll have a Lot more invested making your own!!

@ lowes...well, it has tri y's, so we'll figure @ least 270hp..if it's an ECE or otherwise massaged engine, 300-320 would not be out of the question. IF it's a 6.0 (I have a Westmont SOHC 6L that has Zero external markings) somewhere in teh 330-340 range is Possible.

Jonathan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@vaholtorf, no worries.. learning the maze of the AMG is Process!! With cars like there you can also play it out along the lines of, what would it take me to create this should I not purchase this one? You'll have a Lot more invested making your own!!

@ lowes...well, it has tri y's, so we'll figure @ least 270hp..if it's an ECE or otherwise massaged engine, 300-320 would not be out of the question. IF it's a 6.0 (I have a Westmont SOHC 6L that has Zero external markings) somewhere in teh 330-340 range is Possible.

Jonathan
Yes, Jonathan, you're right. I think the motor is an ECE 5.6 liter, just because, even though there were no external markings, it did have that tuning knob by the driver's side firewall (I think is has EZL on it, but I can't remember), and I think all the ECEs have that knob, but I could be wrong, as obviously, I'm still learning!

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Yes, ECE's have it, as did AMG's 6L conversions. Either way, that would be a Damn nice car to have around...300HP 300CE. Yes Please:)

IMHO, this example was Well Bought. If I knew it was going That cheap, hell, I'd have been mighty tempted.. If it still had the Right wheels I would be been Especially so!!

Jonathan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts