Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic Granite Grey
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In case there are others out there looking for a small summary on bluetooth. I have a 2004 S500 4Matic with Keyless Go (102,000 miles). I purchased it about 400 miles ago, so still very new to me. After doing research in the Encyclopedia on the installation of bluetooth, I took a go at it. (I bought the 2004 because the bluetooth install was supposed to be much easier and much cheaper.) The build date of my vehicle is 10/2003. The install was a snap. The car did come with a Mercedes-Benz branded phone. However, I did not see where it was ever connected to the car. Even after my bluetooth install, I am still confused about that part. If I hit the Page button on the steering wheel, the Phone - Not Connected message would come up. So the system was already coded for the phone, but could not find it. I powered up the phone and it would get signal, but no carrier as I hadn't activated it with anyone. Anyway, on to the bluetooth install.

I purchased the CP interface Kit with Bluetooth from Keenan Motors on eBay ($250). Part number B 6 7 87 5855. It came with pairing instructions, but no installation instructions. In order to install it, I used the instructions noted in the bulletin for my car Phone Bulletins. This points to a nice PDF document, Page 7 was the first page that I needed, I didn't have to do anything in the back of the car. I removed the three screws (torx 10) and the false bottom wouldn't budge. Oops, oh, one of the hinge pins on the arm rest was trying to get free, it had come out about 1/2 inch. I pushed that back in with a screwdriver and tada, I could removed the false bottom. There are two connectors, one that takes the part you just purchased and the other one that I assume is for power. I routed the wire through the part where the coiled plug would go for a normal phone, plugged in the bluetooth module and it started to blink! Sweet. The module came with velco and sticky tape, I stuck it to the same place the cradle would normally go. I did not screw it in, or use the two small screws and plastic clip that came with the kit. Using the included directions, I paired my Sprint Palm Pre and boom, my address book was downloaded into Command and I was able to make a call. My wife said it sounded good, so next test will be while driving. I put the three screws back (all Torx 10) and everything was nice and tight.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

G.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350, 91 300SL with Pano Top, 04 S500, 2015 Tesla Model S
2,084 Posts
Thanks for the install desciption. I will do the same end of this week. The bluetooth part is in the mail.

·
Registered
2005 CL65 AMG, 2007 Ferrari F430
790 Posts
You may want to add, that this will only work with a car that had the full phone system previously. I only wanted to clarify, because we get 3-4 calls per week from people that buy the part mentioned above, only to find that they do not have the necessary support electronics.
If you do not have the necessary modules and need something for bluetooth, there are other alternatives that are much cheaper (and easier) than installing all of the old electronics and then adding this part mentioned above. The alternatives give all the same support and functionality as well.

·
Registered
2004 S500 4Matic Granite Grey
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
InCarTronics is absolutely correct. I mentioned in my post, that I purchased the 2004 model year specifically because of the ease of adding the factory bluetooth.

Cheers,

G.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,978 Posts
Thanks for your description. The part you purchased is often called the "puck with tail" and it is meant for cars already equipped with the CP-211 communications platform - and the '04 W220 is one such model. This is addressed in the "How To Guide for Hands Free" sticky in the Audio & Telematics forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts