Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a subwoofer in a W123? I'd like tighter, cleaner bass in my 1983 300D, but the fuel tank sits between the trunk and the rear seat. I suppose I could port it through the first aid kit, but I hate to cut it all up back there. The car is pretty much perfectly restored, and I like a TOTALLY stock appearance. Any solutions I'm not thinking of? Do any flat, self-powered subs exists that might fit under a seat? Even if they sorta stink, it might be good enough... I'm not a 'booming bass' kinda guy - just need it a little fuller in there...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently parted with my 1985 Audi coupe GT… Much like your car, the gas tank was also separating the back seat and the trunk. My initial thoughts were that it would not be efficient to drop the sub in the trunk – try it, you may be in for a surprise… <br>
<br>
The first sub I had in it was 8� powered “BAZOOKA� tube, months later I replaced it with JL 10-W1 (inexpensive but relatively efficient sub) in .5 cu.ft custom box – cleaner, tighter bass response. <br>
<br>
Before you buy any components, try to stop by Circuit City, they used to have a portable, self contained BAZOOKA tubes for the demonstration in the customer cars, with out installing the actual system, and see if you get enough bass for your taste. Better yet, if you know some one with a sub in the trunk (as long as their wire is long enough), ask them to drop their sub into your Benz – you will get good idea on what you car will sound like with the sub in the trunk…<br>
<br>
I hope this helps?<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hah! For $34.99, what do I have to lose? Plus, I've always wanted to order something from JC Whitney! Ever since I was a little kid, I would comb through those newsprint pages, checking out the stuff. Where else can you find nerf bars for a VW Beetle, 750 cfm carbs for a Chevy 396, a stuffed dog whose eyes blink in time with your turn signals, an electronic horn that plays 60 different tunes, etc. What a goldmine.<br> <br> Thanks for the lead!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 1984 w126 500sel and have teh problem with the gas tank in between the trunk and the back seat. I put my home sub (bose acoustimass passive with 2 5.25' woofers in bandpass enclosure) and it sounded fine. The bass wasnt as clean as I had hoped but it wasnt bad either and there was no problem with the trunk being too sealed. I heard it just fine. Since I think my back deck is wider, I put a 6.5' speaker in each of the lids of the two bins (first aid and tool kit) and didnt put anything in my stock openings. I then cut out the wool carpet material in the stock opening giving me a clear path into the trunk on both the right and left sides. I also (while the back seat was remove for wiring for the amp) lifted up the back deck and removed the two bins themselves and put in some shims to support the corners of the lids when they are shut. With this setup, I can hear the bass from my sub (10' 500 watt rms/1000 max pyramid royal red sub in bandpass enclosure running at 200 watts rms at 4 ohms (800 watt max at 2 ohms) off a pyramid PB680 amp) and it is very clean and very tight with no rattle whatsoever. I will hopefully have pics in the enxt couple days so if you are intersted in them and how I setup my system, please let me know.<br> Thanks.

·
Registered
1995 S 320
125 Posts
I actually have two 12" alpine type s subs that i have in my 84' 300d turbo. You don't have to wire if from the first aid kit trey, but you can pop out the backseat cushion. From there you have to get the wires along the side of the seat of the back left side. Then you are able to put it thru the carpet atop the seat thru the speak hole right above the gas tank. you need anymore of an image let me know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually have two 12" alpine type s subs that i have in my 84' 300d turbo. You don't have to wire if from the first aid kit trey, but you can pop out the backseat cushion. From there you have to get the wires along the side of the seat of the back left side. Then you are able to put it thru the carpet atop the seat thru the speak hole right above the gas tank. you need anymore of an image let me know.
hey i was wondering could you give me tips or pointers on how you got the power cord from the amp to the battery in the front. its a bit hard getting through to the front and i wanted to know how you did it? thanks for your time, also if you have any photos that would be much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts