Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've read about the 107 subframe recall, but in a quick search of the forum, most posts seem to be about the front subframe. Suffering from a violent pull to the right and my indy just called to tell me the left rear subframe control arm mount is cracked. Anyone have a link to the actual recall that might tell me what my options are?

Thanks

Edit - just got back and it is the front subframe...When he called he was describing the break in the rear mount of the front left lower control arm.

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
I'm afraid you are in for some bad news. No recall on the rear subframe, and I'm quite sure it will be out of warranty!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply...as noted in the edit above, it is the front but that is no better news. From what I'm finding on the internet, it looks as if 1983 389SL's are not a part of the recall even though it is the same part.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
From what I'm finding on the internet, it looks as if 1983 389SL's are not a part of the recall even though it is the same part.
Oh, I don't know. Just having a 389SL might be enough to get MB to work on it - I imagine there was only one of them ever made.

OK, so I'm a smartass. And yes, the 380SL wasn't covered under the recall, only the 450SL. However, you can probably pick up a subframe from a parts car, somewhere, and when you replace it with new bushings, it'll feel like a new car again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The question screams to be asked...Does anyone anywhere know of any 380SL that did get it's subframe replaced under this recall? Even one might give me some leverage.

Spent a day under her replacing lower control arm bushings on one side and another replacing the subframe bushings...These were a while back. Not looking forward to replacing an entire subframe.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,182 Posts
Seems like I read a post from someone on either this forum or the Mercedes Shop forum that had gotten their 380sl covered under the recall.

Although my memory is far from perfect, searches might be in order.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,175 Posts
I know of a 280 SL that was done.

Note to IM4DHERD.....when updating a thread, do it in a new post. If you update your thread starter, everyone who takes the time to reply before your "edit" sounds like a tool.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
They did my 280slc under recall, but i've never heard of the rear subframe failing so I don't know what to think. I'd go junkyard shopping, look for the updated model with the additional supports.

Good luck, at least a subframe shouldn't be too expensive if you can find a used one and remove it.

·
32,175 Posts
Please update us and share what you've learned.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Will do...so far MBUSA Case Manager has denied me as had the local service director and his Area Manager. All are referring to only VIN number approved cars for the recall and mine does not show up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MBUSA did look up my car and determined that the subframe on this 380SL was not the subframe covered by the recall. Looks like I'll be shopping the 'yards for a used one and get the weld kits from MB before having it put on. Not something I'm going to try myself...I know my limits.

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

·
Premium Member
22,841 Posts
Anovak said:
Greetings and sorry for the delay. I had my subframe replaced at MB of Albuquerque, NM. It was a long, drawn-out process but they finally agreed to do it after I had contacted MB in Fellbach, Germany. Check your email. I will send the info you request there. The subject line will say "MB Subframe."

The good news is, contrary to what some have said, the recall DOES apply to the 107 models which includes the 380SL.....guess it just depends on how determined you are. Since yours is cracked already, I would think MB would want to take care of this immediately to avoid failure and therefore almost certain injury. Needless to say, I would not drive that vehicle before the subframe is sound. Best of luck to you.
Had you tried contacting Anovak?

·
32,175 Posts

·
Registered
1977 280SL Euro
202 Posts
Just for the sake of information, I had my subframe and all the bushings replaced for $1400. The subframe was the newer one with all the additions from the factory. I purchased it used for $300.00 cleaned, painted and warranteed. The $1400 included a 4 wheel alignment. MBUSA basicly said "screw you" when I contacted them about the recall. The car drives like new now and it was worth every cent. Best of luck, but don't mess with MBUSA, they are jerks!

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,611 Posts
A used subframe from a 560SL has all the updates. I have been finding them for about $300- 400 delivered. Performance products used to have great deals on new ones for ~ $700.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
They must do it on a case by case basis, it took a full day for them to figure out my car was european, but they honored the recall. Still got 1300$ out of me, but a small price to pay for the work I had done about 50% the cost an ind't shop wanted with more work done to the car.

Good luck and I'd think about contacting a consumer advocacy group and put a little pressure on them, but hell if I'd know what to do.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,611 Posts
This looks like a good deal. Maybe you could ask him to sell you just the subframe as shipping would be too expensive for this complete front end.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCEDES-560-COMPLETE-ENGINE-76K-LOW-MILES-107-126_W0QQitemZ250401478565QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item250401478565&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did Communicate with Anovak (thank Nobby)...Mention was made that the 380 was covered, but the work done on Anovak's behalf was a 280. Very helpful, as was ABQ450SLC (280) and Daryn (280), but just doesn't look to work out. Seems that 280s and 450s are in, but the 380s are not.

JDR280SL - Where did you get that subframe at that price? If I don't hear from you, I may PM you later.

Again, thanks to everyone...this board is a great resource and I have gotten great advice from it. I've replaced my soft top, my front control arm and cradle busnings, my steering coupler and a couple of other things all based on advice found here. Hope to contribute my own advice someday, but so far everything has been spot on with no need to add anything.

·
Registered
1977 280SL Euro
202 Posts
I purchased mine from Aurora Auto Wrecking, 9217 Aurora Ave. N., Seattle, Washington, 98103, (206) 524-8700 and ask for Ken. They have several 107s and can pick you one that has the up grade plates or the replacement unit from MB if they have another in stock. You must ask for exactly what you want. I hand selected mine but they are very helpful. They let me go out in the yard. Just be specific with your needs.
Best of luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts