Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kind of crazy that one set is $87 and two sets is $93. I only need one set. If anyone wants to go half on a set of two, I'm game. I'm not cheap, just frugal! 馃榿
I'm curious why you need them because your profile shows you have a 86 and an 87. My understanding is that the 560SL came with an improved subframe. My 74 450SL was recalled for this on December 6th 1985 and got the improved subframe - around the time or before your cars were built.

Andy

Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
Kind of crazy that one set is $87 and two sets is $93. I only need one set. If anyone wants to go half on a set of two, I'm game. I'm not cheap, just frugal! 馃榿
Its the bending minimum charges. First bend costs a furtune.

Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
Its the bending minimum charges. First bend costs a furtune.
I figured it must be the setup charges. With that much of a savings on subsequent sets it seems a good idea to make quite a few extras and sell them on eBay. Hmmmm... 馃

Premium Member
I figured it must be the setup charges. With that much of a savings on subsequent sets it seems a good idea to make quite a few extras and sell them on eBay. Hmmmm... 馃
My guess is every one will be making them now. Once you get past two sets the price drop isn't so dramatic. $107 for 3 sets at that point you met all the cutting and bending minimums.

Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
Thanks Nobby. I needed this also. However my question directly above was about a copy of the letter from MB sent to owners announcing the need for service. Or was there no such communication?
C/R107 Front Sub-Frame Recall Information | Mercedes-Benz Forum (benzworld.org)
While there never was a "subframe recall" issued for the C/R107 series there was an agreement between MBUSA and the USDOT to repair or replace defective subframes in 350/450 SL/SLC cast iron block models produced for the US market. This exempted all US M116 3.8 cars, and all Rest Of The World cars, regardless of powerplant, from service.

MB's claim, accepted by regulators, that the lighter aluminum block 3.8L V-8 would not cause the failure proved later to be less than accurate. The early style frame can crack regardless of engine cylinder count or block material.

The repair or replacement in question is 'MBUSA Service Information Letter 33/001, Sub-frame Modification dated 11/1/85'. Some dealerships readily acknowledge the ongoing existence of the recall, others are markedly reticent in expending any energy toward obtaining satisfaction for owners with issues. Several members have had luck getting replacement subframes installed or even reimbursement of out of pocket expenses for sub-frames replaced outside of the dealer network.

Registered
鈥83 380SL
if you want to head up a Run of these I鈥檒l take a set since I鈥檝e got an 鈥83 380 and I鈥檇 like to subframe to not fail

Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
@TheDon04 and @ehawk01, there's at least one other person who contacted me privately with an interest. I'm happy to place an order and front the payment for several sets. I will only charge whatever the total number of sets desired divided by the total cost, plus shipping by USPS small box flat rate. If we can all save some money by ordering in "bulk" with one order, then that certainly makes sense to me! Perhaps a cutoff date of July 31, 2021 (midnight Pacific Time) for collecting order requests is sufficient. Feel free to email me at [email protected] to connect directly. For electronic payments I only have PayPal, or you can mail me a check/USPS money order.

Premium Member
Looks like it working. Keep us posted on the results.

Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
While I'm not 100% sure about the immediate need for those Subframe Gussets, I'd like to jump in on the group order.

Reactions: KentsCars

Do you want to start a new thread for this and I can sticky it? Or do you want me to sticky this one?

Or modify the thread title to add "procurement"?

Or just leave well enough alone?

There you go
A Canadian with solutions looking for the problem
馃槀
LOL.

Penalty!

Cross Threading!

2 minutes in the box! Or a free kick!

Whatever you fuckers do down there.

Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
There you go
A Canadian with solutions looking for the problem
馃槀
We Yanks need the Canucks to straighten out the messes we create :)

Reactions: CousinMB
21 - 40 of 42 Posts