Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1974 450SL (US), 2005 SLK200 (UK)
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
@ChiefRider and MB no longer make them but occasionally someone posts on the forum that they need them. @Droidster lent me his ChiefRider set to make drawings from so that people can get their own made from places like sendcutsend.com and oshcut.com. I'm sure there are others. I guess they can also be made by hand.

Attached is a PDF engineering drawing showing the dimensions. The scale is 1:1 so this is full size and can be used for creating the parts manually. Print with no scaling at US Letter size. Here is a scaled image:

Here is the 3D model that the drawing was created from:

Here is a check of the drawing by placing a gusset over the top of a printout:

Finally, attached is a DXF file. This can be used for CNC manufacturing. The file contains the outline and the bend line. The bend line is on the inside crease (remove ".txt" from the filename). Note - the units of the file are millimeters.

The ChiefRider versions were made from 0.12" Cold Rolled Steel.

Note - I haven't manufactured any gussets from these drawings. Use at your own risk.

Andy

Attachments

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
31,764 Posts
ADDED to EGv107

33) Front Axle

·
Registered
1984 380SL 34,000 miles
48 Posts
This is interesting. My 380 is not reinforced. Each time I read about this i worries me.

If a machine shop were to make this for me using the drawing (not CNC) can anyone guess a reasonable cost. I have asked a guy in the machine shop of biz partner if he can do it. I'd like an idea of what I should offer to pay him. I doubt he'll take the money, so this will help with a gift idea too. Is it Johnny Red, Black or Blue if you know what I mean.

Also, when I open the DFX file is is just number down the left edge of several pages. Is this how it is supposed to display?

As long as we are talking costs, what about a fair cost for getting them installed? The fabricator is in Indiana. I'm not. And haven't I read about other posts to replace when doing this? I'll search

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It seems oshcut.com costs $82.36 for a set of four, however the flange (the small bent part) is not big enough for their process. It may be that you could bend the parts yourself or enlarge the gusset shape have them do the bend and then trim the excess off. I don't know what sendcutsend.com would cost.

Remove the ".txt" extension from the DXF file and open in an application that can display DXF files. Here is what the contents of the DXF file look like:

Andy

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
6,275 Posts
@ChiefRider and MB no longer make them but occasionally someone posts on the forum that they need them. @Droidster lent me his ChiefRider set to make drawings from so that people can get their own made from places like sendcutsend.com and oshcut.com. I'm sure there are others. I guess they can also be made by hand.

Attached is a PDF engineering drawing showing the dimensions. The scale is 1:1 so this is full size and can be used for creating the parts manually. Print with no scaling at US Letter size. Here is a scaled image:

View attachment 2703046

Here is the 3D model that the drawing was created from:

View attachment 2703048

Here is a check of the drawing by placing a gusset over the top of a printout:

View attachment 2703049

Finally, attached is a DXF file. This can be used for CNC manufacturing. The file contains the outline and the bend line. The bend line is on the inside crease (remove ".txt" from the filename).

The ChiefRider versions were made from 0.12" Cold Rolled Steel.

Note - I haven't manufactured any gussets from these drawings. Use at your own risk.

Andy

·
Premium Member
1983 380SL, 2000 S430, 1991 420SEL (retired) - RHD
6,275 Posts
ChiefRider actually made paperweights that looked similar.:)

·
Registered
1971 w108 280SE 3.5 & 1982 w107 500SL
251 Posts
You could probably cut the four of them out of a piece of 3mm box tube, then not having to make the fold. Just an idea.
Also, the cost per piece might come down if enough people get on board.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ChiefRider actually made paperweights that looked similar.:)
It's reverse engineering which in the US is regarded as "fair use". I'm not actually making or selling the gussets only sharing the info. If someone uses this to make gussets it will be for their own personal use. MB aren't selling them so there is no lost business or financial harm to them. MB doesn't seem to care about the copying and sharing of owner's manuals and FSMs so I doubt they will care about this anyway. :)

Andy

·
Registered
'72 450SL, 107.044-12-000422
436 Posts
I had mine done under the recall in 2016.

So, MB manufactured gussets but the dealership actually farmed out the install to a Indy shop (the dealership had a broken welder but didn’t have anyone that could fix or use it).

I’m not a welder/fabricator but grew up with a bunch of farmers who did more complex repairs on their tractors in the barn. This isn’t rocket science-if mb hadn’t honored the recall for me, I’d have been perfectly comfortable having one of my farmer buddies manufacture and install home-built reinforcements.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,408 Posts
Surprised OSHCUT can’t do the bend. They were able to do a bend for me that SCS couldn’t do

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
12,428 Posts
Surprised OSHCUT can’t do the bend. They were able to do a bend for me that SCS couldn’t do
I'm not too familiar with OSHCUT, but the bend is probably too small a lip for SendCutSend for there automatic online quoting but they can probably do it with a custom quote. The price on these from send cut send would probably be ~$30 for 4 unbent, you might even get 8 for $30. The minimum order is $30. Bending is usually minimum $30 + $5 each additional. In any case I'm sure a set of 4 and possibly 2 sets could be cut bent and delivered anywhere in the united states for under $100. Other option is make it with a bigger lip. It will work fine with a bigger lip.

·
Premium Member
1976 450SL, 1992 190e 2.3, 1984 300D turbo, 1966 VW bus
571 Posts
i ordered some from ebay seller 'bodrea' in the netherlands a few months ago. They were excellent quality reproductions. May be worth reaching out to him. I paid around $90

·
Premium Member
12,428 Posts
i ordered some from ebay seller 'bodrea' in the netherlands a few months ago. They were excellent quality reproductions. May be worth reaching out to him. I paid around $90

Nice I see you have a big lip, I guess they have trouble with it in the Netherlands.

I just sent out for a custom quote to SendCutSend for 1 set. I should know in the morning. I did find out that without bending 6 pieces would be about $33.00

·
Premium Member
12,428 Posts
SendCutSend Compatible file.

For some reason SendCutSend could not recognize the bend line in the original file. in some of my programs it came up black and in some it came up green. I edited the file to change the bend line color to blue.

Attached is a file that works with SendCutSend.

Same rules apply. Remove the .txt before uploading to SendCutSend

Update: I have been in communication with ChiefRider for the last 3 months on this very subject. Unfortunately he is very busy with a move and his computer files are now in storage. Chief has the original files that were created from the genuine MB parts but they are not available at this time. He did say he would get them to me when he gets a chance. The only real issue here is that the current files available are reverse engineered files of once previously reverse engineered files. And having done this before errors tend to propagate. For this part I wouldn't worry about +/-2mm. Nothing a file or a little more weld can fix. So the attached files will work with SendCutSend. I will update these when I here from Chief. But I do expect this to take a while.

To use these files. Download both of them and rename without the ".txt"

Upload both files.

For each file:
Select add to cart
In this case select inches as the measure unit. For some reason these fires are only compatible with inches.
Select Metal
Select Mild Steel
Select 0.119" CRS

I you want to have them bent select the bend option.
Set bend angle to 90°
Set bend direction to up.

Repeat for the next file

You can adjust the quantities after you load them into the cart to get various price breaks.

Checkout as you would anywhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
'79 450SL, '04 CLK200 convertible; former A124, W210, A209.
3,119 Posts
Fair play to you Andy, without a doubt your work will have extended life of many Benzes out there :D

·
Premium Member
12,428 Posts
Quote from SCS for 2 sets, $93.12 at your door. 1 set would be $87, might as well get 2 sets. Note the files used to get these quotes were modified by SCS to get them to work. I will post the modified files when I get some issues cleared up.

·
Registered
'71 350SL, '76 450SLC (Euro both)
361 Posts
Value added post. Thank you for going through the trouble and presenting the drawings here. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1987 560SL | 1986 560SL | 1984 500SL
328 Posts
Quote from SCS for 2 sets, $93.12 at your door. 1 set would be $87, might as well get 2 sets. Note the files used to get these quotes were modified by SCS to get them to work. I will post the modified files when I get some issues cleared up.

View attachment 2703169
Kind of crazy that one set is $87 and two sets is $93. I only need one set. If anyone wants to go half on a set of two, I'm game. I'm not cheap, just frugal! 😁

·
Registered
1984 380SL 34,000 miles
48 Posts
Because I love a challenge I called MB in NJ. Kevin first said that the service requirement did not apply to years after 1980 because the problem has been addressed in my car. Then when I persisted he said their records only went to 1990 and sent me to the MB Classic Center. I been told by them that all recall and service letters are only valid for 10 years. Furthermore they can't fix it because the part is no longer available because "their vendor doesn't make it anymore." That's circular logic for you. I suspect the vendor would make all they wanted if MB placed a PO.
I know that someone said the service letter was posted but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone direct me to a PDF version?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts