Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've realized over a long period of time that there is a gas tank in between my trunk and my back seat which prevents a lot of sound pressure from reaching the inside of the vehicle. I would like to kno if anyone has had this problem and if they have any idea of how to eliminate that specific problem. I was thinking about installing a custom subwoofer in the trunk and i would like the spl to come into the inside, someone already told me to turn on music at a 1/4 tank of gas but that's not a funny joke.

·
Registered
'86 300E
34 Posts
Which vehicle do you own? I have an 86 300E and am planning on putting a 12 inch sub in m...

Which vehicle do you own? I have an 86 300E and am planning on putting a 12 inch sub in my trunk. Do you know if I have the same setup? (gas tank in the way). The previous owner cut out the first aid kit in the back shelf and had 2 8" subs hanging there in an free air setup. I removed those but may need to find a way to suspend my new box for the 12 in the open space to get more sound if I have the same problem.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea man i'm sorry but i have no clue about how your system sets up, if you look behind you...

yea man i'm sorry but i have no clue about how your system sets up, if you look behind your seat like in the trunk you'll either see a carpet thing, which if you can see a tank then yes you have one. but if they guy had a 8in sub in it, then yes you have a tank cause he couldn't feel anything through the back trunk.

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts
i've realized over a long period of time that there is a gas tank in between my trunk and my back seat which prevents a lot of sound pressure from reaching the inside of the vehicle. I would like to kno if anyone has had this problem and if they have any idea of how to eliminate that specific problem. I was thinking about installing a custom subwoofer in the trunk and i would like the spl to come into the inside, someone already told me to turn on music at a 1/4 tank of gas but that's not a funny joke.

On The W123 Body Mercedes You Can Port the Sub Through the First aid Compartment..Remove it and make a Grill for it ..It Worked for me when I had My W123

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
in looking around in the trunk of my 300d i havnt really dissassemebled anything deeply, b...

in looking around in the trunk of my 300d i havnt really dissassemebled anything deeply, but where the rear seat armrest folds down looks like a pretty good spot for a sub, i just have to figure out some way to fit a box to it... the trunk is VERY well sealed, but if you give the subs enough power (actually, a helluva lot ;>) you should be able to get some nice sound... in talking to some people who are into all kinds of audio stuff at school, the suggestion of even making the actual trunk the sub enclosure, walling off a portion of it and sealing it could work, but it would probbably require heavy modification of the back dashboardthing... something like that is not really too good for me because im trying to keep the car as stock as possible, or stealth anything added in

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
i was in my trunk yesterday, and dissassembed it down to the gas tank... near the back edg...

i was in my trunk yesterday, and dissassembed it down to the gas tank... near the back edge of the hatshelf (i dont call it a reardashboardthingy anymore heh) there is only 1 layer of metal, and the actual hatshelf between the trunk and cabin... i took out the first aid kit and i think im going to figure out some kind of design where i can point the sound or get it to reflect back at the back edge/firstaidkit hole...

possibly i could just fabricate something the same size as the first aid kit box that was more like a grille of some sort, and just have that as a way to get around the gas tank, but im still up in the air

·
Registered
1983 300Dturbodiesel
297 Posts
where is your sub positioned? have you tried movign it around? found this article and it h...

where is your sub positioned? have you tried movign it around? found this article and it has some realy interesting stuff in it, definately worth a look...you may be able to get better sound in without doign anything to the tank

http://www.installer.com/tech/aiming.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts