Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 Euro 280SL VIN # 10704212002632 that the MB dealer has found cracks in the front sub-frame. I know this car is not under the recall because it is considered "grey market" but I have been told MBUSA has repaired some 280SL's in the past. Robert of MBUSA indicated if I could identify what dealer, in what city and the VIn number of any 107042 car they repaired they would consider the repair on mine. So, if there is any 107042 280SL cars out there that were repaired and MBUSA paid for even part, could you provide me with the details. Who you worked with plus the above details. Otherwise the total cost is going to be on me. my direct e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks to all-
Jerry

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
I have a 1977 Euro 280SL VIN # 10704212002632 that the MB dealer has found cracks in the front sub-frame. I know this car is not under the recall because it is considered "grey market" but I have been told MBUSA has repaired some 280SL's in the past. Robert of MBUSA indicated if I could identify what dealer, in what city and the VIn number of any 107042 car they repaired they would consider the repair on mine. So, if there is any 107042 280SL cars out there that were repaired and MBUSA paid for even part, could you provide me with the details. Who you worked with plus the above details. Otherwise the total cost is going to be on me. my direct e-mail is [email protected]
Thanks to all-
Jerry
I think you are going to be SOL on this one. The recall only appied to the 450 series due to the heavier engine. US DOT 380SL owneres also found themselves SOL on this even when they broke.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
29,085 Posts
Anovak has a 280 SL and had it replaced. They covered EVERYTHING including the tow.

He sent me all the pertinent PDF documents but I will need his permission to post. Maybe he can post them. It really depends, it seems, on how willing your dealer is to go to bat for you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sense you know him could you request he post them or send them directly to me. I have seen his posts on the other Forum and have ask him for help but he did not answer. I may have sent the e-mail to the wrong address. My e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
I had mine replaced by the dealer in San Diego so they must still honor it sometimes. I don't know why they are being pimpy with you they didn't give me any issues. If you want I can get you the paper and tell you what recall code they did. Good luck, if they won't honor it you got two options, find a welder or find a junked subframe. I guess it is a hell of a job to do, but good luck.

·
29,085 Posts
Sense you know him could you request he post them or send them directly to me. I have seen his posts on the other Forum and have ask him for help but he did not answer. I may have sent the e-mail to the wrong address. My e-mail is [email protected]
I've emailed him. He's a busy guy but he'll respond.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so very much. I would appreicate your documentation and information. Please send it to my e-mail address if you can, and thanks again. You give me hope.
[email protected]

And thanks again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Greetings and sorry for the delay. I had my subframe replaced at MB of Albuquerque, NM. It was a long, drawn-out process but they finally agreed to do it after I had contacted MB in Fellbach, Germany. Check your email. I will send the info you request there. The subject line will say "MB Subframe."

The good news is, contrary to what some have said, the recall DOES apply to the 107 models which includes the 380SL.....guess it just depends on how determined you are. Since yours is cracked already, I would think MB would want to take care of this immediately to avoid failure and therefore almost certain injury. Needless to say, I would not drive that vehicle before the subframe is sound. Best of luck to you.

PS - Nobby, very cool boots.....where can I get a pair like that, only could you be sure that I get the euro headlight??? :) :)

·
29,085 Posts
PS - Nobby, very cool boots.....where can I get a pair like that, only could you be sure that I get the euro headlight??? :) :)
Thanks for responding, Andy.

If you start a dedicated thread concerning your subframe success, with pictures and documentation, I will rally the troops to put pressure on our mod to make it a sticky.

The boot was compliments of another member ...unesl....the resident artistic photoshop wizard. I have a nice high heeled version that you can have!

·
29,085 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I inspected my subframe and it looks like I have the one that is subject to cracking. Fortunately there are no cracks yet and no corrosion. I will PM Anovak and ask for the documentation he has to help my plea when I take it to MB to see if I can get it covered by the recall.

Also is there anyone out there with a 500SL Euro that has successfully made a recall claim since Anovaks documentation would be for a 280SL. I would think if they are willing to take care of a 280 they should be willing to do it on a 500 since there is more weight sitting on those frames.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
I inspected my subframe and it looks like I have the one that is subject to cracking. Fortunately there are no cracks yet and no corrosion. I will PM Anovak and ask for the documentation he has to help my plea when I take it to MB to see if I can get it covered by the recall.

Also is there anyone out there with a 500SL Euro that has successfully made a recall claim since Anovaks documentation would be for a 280SL. I would think if they are willing to take care of a 280 they should be willing to do it on a 500 since there is more weight sitting on those frames.
I'm pretty sure the 500SL's had the updated subframe. The recall would not apply, as you already have the strengthened subframe.

Are you sure it doesn't have the boxed in sections? Can you get some photos?

I'm happy to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 500SL's had the updated subframe. The recall would not apply, as you already have the strengthened subframe.

Are you sure it doesn't have the boxed in sections? Can yoyu get some photos?

I'll take some pictures tonight. And believe me, I'll be happier if I'm proven wrong.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts

Are you sure it doesn't have the boxed in sections? Can you get some photos?

Hello Fotografa.

I think you are right. Here is the picture. Sorry for the poor quality, I just reached under and snapped the picture without being able to focus.

Attachments

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,586 Posts
Did you have to prove Foto wrong? Go up and compare your photo to the updated suframe and the others. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't think it is the updated or repaired subframe.

Can't tell if that is the front or the rear mount.

·
R/C107 Moderator
31,586 Posts
Werner. I am becoming obsessed with that picture. I can't tell if it is the front control arm mount or the rear. Failure, repairs and updates are to the rear portion of the subframe. Sorry W just can't figure it out from the pic.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Hi Rowdie

That was the front of the car, back bushing of the control arm.
I compared my picture to the ones in the sub frame recall sticky and it looks like you proved Fotografa wrong (unfortunately). I thought I had read somewhere that the recall problem on the Euro 500SL was corrected with the 1986 model year and was hoping since mine was manufactured in Sept 85, they might have corrected the problem in the later 85 productions.

So if Anovak is out there, I would appreciate a copy of that documentation, if you get a chance. Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts