Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
'07 ML350, '05 ML350SE, '04 ML350, '01 ML55, '05 SLK350, '04 SLK200, '76 280SL
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I purchased a "MEYLE" brand sub frame bush kit for my 280SL and installed this over the weekend. I am not impressed. I don't think I screwed up, but I do think the product is sub-standard. Here's what happened.

1. Removed old bolts, washers, bushes, captured nuts etc.

2. Installed new MEYLE kit.

3. When tightening one of the four MEYLE bolts to spec of 45 Nm (sub-frame weight supported by trolley jack) the captured nut broke free from the metal retaining strip and turned so that I could no longer tighten the bolt. The captured nut is actually round and is a separate piece sort of pressed into the metal retaining strip .... it is not cast as one or welded, just pressed. Luckily, when I eased the trolley jack to put tension on the bolt/nut the weight stopped the nut from spinning and I could extract the bolt totally. I then re-used one of the old bolts and captured nuts.

4. When tightening one of the other MEYLE bolts to spec (again sub frame weight supported by trolley jack) the bolt sheared at the captured nut. I then spent 4 hours figuring how and trying to get the half bolt and captured nut out of the chassis without damaging the chassis. In the end I removed the bush, raised the sub frame and then had to drill upwards into the end of the bolt (accessed through the sub frame hole) with progressively larger drill bits. Not easy for a grade 8.8 bolt. I had to use all manner of screw drivers and wedges to wedge the captured nut in position so that the drill would not slip. Eventually the drilled hole was big enough and I used a broken drill bit in a cordless drill to "grab" the broken bolt and drive it upwards to release it from the captured nut. So I then re-used another one of the old bolts and captured nuts.

5. Today, after completing other work, I took the car for a test drive and promptly heard a clunking sound when going over speed bumps and cornering, so returned home. On looking under the car I could see that there was a gap of almost 1/4 inch between the large metal washer/rubber and sub frame for both rear attachment points. It looked no better than the collapsed bushes I had replaced.

6. I checked the tightness of the bolts (car on its wheels) and these were to spec, but with no other ideas I removed the two bolts. I then compared these with the old bolts and noticed for the first time that whilst they are the same length they have about 1/4 inch less thread length.

7. So the problem was there was not enough thread length on the MEYLE bolts .... when tightening the bolts to spec I was tightening the shank of the bolt against the captured nut, not against the sub frame/rubbers. Hence the 1/4 inch gap.

8. For me this explained why (a) one of the captured nuts broke free of the metal retaining strip, (b) why one of the bolts sheared, and (c) why the sub frame had not snugged up firmly to the chassis.

I've attached a few photos. The one that looks like an exploded view is the order in which I assembled the pieces - I don't see that I've done anything wrong. The silver coloured bolts are the MEYLE bolts, the gold cad plated bolts are old bolts previously on the car .... notice the longer thread length.

The car now has MEYLE rubber bushes and rubber washers and plastic (?) cone thing, but I have reused my old bolts, spring washers, metal washers and captured nuts.

Have I been supplied the wrong bolts, or are MEYLE parts sub-standard? Made in Germany and a global supplier, but they can't seem to get the right bolts into a sub-frame kit.

Attachments

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Meyle is right there with URO.

Genuine MB OR Lemfoerder, Boge, Sachs are good brands.

Suframe mounts take a constant load, you need to use OE or OEM quality parts

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,537 Posts
Who did you buy the kit from?

Meyle makes the rubber...looks like someone slapped together a kit with the incorrect hardware.

I bought a mercedessource kit featuring Meyle bushings 7 years and 50,000 miles ago.

Still good.

It is the actual kit that is suspect not the Meyle bushings.

·
Banned
1993 400E
7,361 Posts
Meyle 7 years ago is not Meyle today.

Meyle Gemany is the name of the company, but the parts are made in China
and other places with cheap labor. There are NO manufacturing plants in Germany for Meyle.

http://www.meyle.com/EN/Locations/WG-Autoparts-Shanghai.html

There are some Meyle HD parts like strut mounts for 124's that are "OK".

Even Febi is hit or miss with quality.

Don't be fooled by the name Febi-Bilstein, they have nothing to do with "BILSTEIN" suspension

Read these 2 links, MB & Audi

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/tech-help/132482-lemfoerder-febi-meyle-whos-best.html

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2123236

·
Registered
1985 500SL + 2009 GLK (previous 250, 280SL, 230TE, 430 ML)
1,032 Posts
Replaced the bushings for the front anti-roll bar 2 years ago because the old ones had been there 26 years. The new ones marked Meyle cracked after 2 years. (From Ecklers)
Now I have original MB ones which will probably last another 26 years.

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Yikes ! That's a pisser ! Thanks for the info. I plan on replacing the subframe bushings on the front and rear. Not looking forward to that financial shot to the hemorrhoids! :eek: Your issues do indeed look to have been precipitated by improper bolts. The mere fact that they sheared when the proper torque was applied is a bit scarey :eek: You were smart to use your old bolts and toss that crap. It ain't ever easy.

·
Registered
1985 500SL + 2009 GLK (previous 250, 280SL, 230TE, 430 ML)
1,032 Posts
I think that list would make a good addition to the EGv.
+1
Serious re-sellers and parts buyers should benefit from increased trust, suspect many buyers hold back on purchases when in doubt.

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have sent details and photos to the Australian distributor of MEYLE products and invited them to investigate this - inspect the car, the broken bolts etc. Their office is 10 minutes from me.

·
Registered
Too Many
1,063 Posts
I would seriously not ever entertain the idea of using anything other than GENUINE MB subframe mount kits.

Time has proven over and over again on my 107's and my 124, the 126 and 201's, that if you go with a febi branded box, or a meyle branded box you get nothing but SHIT.

Want to know what's hilarious?

I put some febi parts in my 107 front subframe - about 2 years ago. drove the car home. didn't use the car at all (parked in garage) for 4 months. took car out of garage and started hearing front end creaks. drove slowly around the block, was a bit funny under braking. drove back into garage, jacked up front, and saw the lower section of the subframe bush fall out on to the floor, and it was like MUSH.

Investigated why. There was a small leak from the P/S return hose, and it had dripped a tiny bit of P/S fluid onto the upper control arm, which had gravitated down to the front subframe bush. that bush had turned to jello mush.

Ironically, the P/S leak had been there for years, and the original bushes which came out were exposed for a much longer period (years) of the same drip. The original bush was not affected at all, it was not mushy, but had all the evidence of a 20+ year old bush wear.

I replaced the subframe bushes with genuine ones again. no issues.

FWIW, lemforder do not make the front subframe kits anymore. so Genuine is the only way to go.

But those bolts.... they are not correct. they do not even look like HT bolts.

that is damn scary. I'd be contacting fair trading and the MTA about the safety issue, supplying an incorrect specification bolt.

·
Registered
Too Many
1,063 Posts
While I think about it... do us a favour and measure the thread pitch on the meyle bolt and the genuine one.

and take a pic of the bolt head. are they the same grade???

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Want to hear something truly scary??

Genuine lower control arm bushes have been discontinued. And annoyingly they were the cheaper of the genuine control arm bushes (i.e a lot cheaper than genuine uppers)!

·
Registered
Too Many
1,063 Posts
I think it's time for me to start doing production runs of Urethane LCA's....

·
Registered
1993 600SL, 1973 450 SL,1982 380SL,1998 SLK 230, 1968 Firebird, 2001 Dodge Ram 4x4,2005 Ford Escape
5,247 Posts
Why the heck doesn't somebody do that with all the subframe bushings ? Can't be rocket science ! What does it take to make a urethane part? The mould is a piece of cake. Is the urethane just a two part resin system ? I'm sure somebody has a handle on this stuff !

·
Registered
Too Many
1,063 Posts
You make it sound simple.
it isn't.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
I bought this exact same kit from mercedessource a few months ago and it's been sitting in my garage waiting for me to complete a few more critical jobs on the car. The bolts in my kit look the same as the ones the OP posted.

I guess I'll be re-using some of the stock parts, too. I wonder if mercedessource is aware of this issue?

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
.... But those bolts.... they are not correct. they do not even look like HT bolts.

that is damn scary. I'd be contacting fair trading and the MTA about the safety issue, supplying an incorrect specification bolt.
For info :

1. The MEYLE bolt heads have "T Y 8.8" on them.
2. BW member nathanso confirmed above that he has the same (looking) bolts in a MEYLE kit he has purchased in the USA.
3. The bolts seemed mighty tough - I had a hell of a time drilling into the end of one. Makes me think the bolts may have even been a higher grade than 8.8. A higher grade is tough to drill but also becomes brittle.
4. Irrespective of grade and labelling, there is not enough thread on the bolts. This needs to be corrected.
5. I have today emailed MEYLE's Australian distributor Welch Auto Parts (based in Collingwoood, Melbourne) detailing my experience and inviting them to inspect the car and bolts. The email was non emotive and I asked if they wished to comment or inspect, or whether I should contact MEYLE HQ in Germany.
6. I will follow up with a phone call in a few days time - just in case the email is received by the wrong person and not handled appropriately. If they don't take the matter seriously I will be telling them that I will be contacting MEYLE HQ and if they do not respond appropriately then I will contact the VACC, the RACV and Consumer Affairs Victoria .... which I fully intend doing.

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes 380SL, 2011 BMW Z4, 2013 BMW X3, 2009 Harley, 2013 F150
138 Posts
This may explain what I was looking at underneath my 107 also. Bushings were replaced about 4 years ago. Only a couple of thousand miles on them and they appear to be collapsed. I attempted to tighten the bolts and was able to a little bit, but seemed to bottom out so I stopped before I broke anything. I am guessing the bolts on my replacement bushings are not threaded correctly.

What sucks is I have a kit coming in the mail in a few days. I will inspect and give feedback on what these bolts look like. Most probably return the kit and go directly to Mercedes...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts