Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K i have a 1972 350SL i just got my hands on...

I don't know how to collapse the softtop! do I have to remove the softtop to put the hardtop on? or do i just collapse it then put on the hardtop?

heh...i just cant figure it out... I know the little lever beside the driver unlatches the back connection and I know how to undo it from the windshield but i dont know how to fold it up or pop it off!

any help for a benz newbie?

·
Registered
15 Posts
OK!! I'll try to explain first: This applies to RHD SLs

1. flip the handle clockwise to release the soft-top tension
2. Using a straight tool - undo the 2 latches at the top of the windscreen by turning them outwards.
3. look for the little chrome clip situated just behind the soft-top release handle (the chrome clip unlatches the soft top at the rear)
4. Now carefully folding your soft top into the soft-top well. Making sure the folds does not protrude out, and watch out for wrong folds that can damage your delicate (or rather expension) soft-top
5. Close the Tonneau Cover by putting pressure over the cover (you should hear a clunck)

To close the soft-top
1. flip the release handle anticlock wise. You should feel a small spring-like action.
2. the tonneau cover should open
3. do the reverse of the opening......

Hope that helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I dont know what the tonneau cover is though... it flips up then the thing slides under it? could explain why those bars hit something.

maybe the thing is siezed! i'll take a look! thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,750 Posts
verman_net said:
Thanks! I dont know what the tonneau cover is though... it flips up then the thing slides under it?
Yes, the softtop goes under the metal cover, the cover then closes.

·
Registered
1984 380sl, 1988 300ce, 1988 420sel (gone)
546 Posts
It is a bit of a challenge tbe first time you do it especially without any instructions. Try this link.
http://www.oursl.com/research/560-hardtop/107_560sl_hardsoft-2.htm

It's a copy of the mercedes instuction booklet. Even though its for the 560sl the instuctions are the same for all 107 models. Do it a 1/2 dozen times and it becomes second nature. One word of advice -DON'T FORCE THE TOP INTO THE STORAGE SPACE. If it doesn't fit it means you probably didn't fold it right. Just take it out and fiddle with it. I know the first time I put the top down each season I alway forget to fold it the right way the first time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
76 Posts
Question ... how do you protect the plastic real windows from scratching ? Do you find that the "string thing" that runs down the inisde of the rear window scratches the center plastic window ? I have been using towels inside the folds to protect the plastic window but this winter the towels seemed to have stretched the plastic windows and creased them ....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts