Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SL R107
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be changing my own oil moving forward.... can anyone tell me what the hex wrench size is to remove the drain plug, and also the oil filter cannister? Never saw a drain plug like this one, not your typical bolt head.

Also, is it correct that this engine (the 116 V8) is a higher friction solid cam or does it have a roller cam? I'm thinking it is a good idea to add some ZDDP with hte new oil to compensaite for the lower level of ZDDP in todays oil.

Thanks,
-George-

·
Registered
450 SL 1975 UK bought, imported to Australia in the early 80's. 146k on clock, engine rebuild 100k
8 Posts
Pretty sure it is 14mm. I got my car only recently and went to do an oil change and had to go back to the auto shop to buy a hex socket set.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,512 Posts

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,362 Posts
14mm is correct for the drain plug. Use the filter kit from MB. Comes with washers and new o-ring.
The cam is not roller type and has hydraulic conpensators (lifters)

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,340 Posts
Gonna be changing my own oil moving forward.... can anyone tell me what the hex wrench size is to remove the drain plug, and also the oil filter cannister? Never saw a drain plug like this one, not your typical bolt head.

Also, is it correct that this engine (the 116 V8) is a higher friction solid cam or does it have a roller cam? I'm thinking it is a good idea to add some ZDDP with hte new oil to compensaite for the lower level of ZDDP in todays oil.

Thanks,
-George-
Regarding the ZDDP, I wouldn't go adding anything to the oil. It is true that some MB approved oils now have lower ZDDP, but Mobil 1 0W40 is still relatively high.

For my 72 SL, which is only driven in summer, I have switched to using 10W40 High Mileage, partly because it is less expensive and more readily available.

For my 300D, I use 5W40 Turbo Truck & Diesel (can also be used with gassers) or 15W50. Both of these have higher ZDDP.

Info on ZDDP in Mobil1 is here:
http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/files/mobil_1_product_guide.pdf

I used to use Castrol Syntec (Now Edge, I think), but they don't provide much info on their oils.

If you are going to use basic dino oil, you will have to check out specs and choose something suitable.

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SL R107
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, it the Studebaker Drivers Club there has been a debate raging for about two years or more now regarding use of ZDDP additive to oil. As you may know, by Government decree, ZDDP levels have been steadily dropping for several years now. ZDDP is a zinc component which serves as a "perishable metal" buffer between the camshaft and lifter (or valve stem) to vastly reduce metal wear of those components. It had been demonstrated that in a Studebaker engine abnormal wear was evident in as little as several thousand miles of operation. It was acknowledged that an additive such as ZDDPPlus was effective in countering the loss of the zinc in the new oils. Now of course a Studebaker engine is steel an cast iron, and these Mercedes engines are aluminum. Dont' really know how that may affect things.

·
Registered
'85 380SL (155Kmiles), '82 240D stick, '80 300SD, '77 240D, '89 BMW 535i, 3 VW Diesels, 2 Triumphs
1,553 Posts
Now of course a Studebaker engine is steel an cast iron, and these Mercedes engines are aluminum. Dont' really know how that may affect things.
Not at all. The problem is only related to the contact area of the rockers on the cams on MBs. On Studebakers it's flat tappets and cams. All hard steel on hard steel.

If you want dino oil, heavy duty diesel rated oils like Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 have high ZDDP levels( around 1200 ppm). All of the aforementioned synthetic oils are Group III, just like these 2 dino oils, so the differences aren't as great as the oil barons would have you believe.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
I picked up a set of 3 Allen heads (12,14,17) that are in sockets at Autozone for about $10 or $12.

·
Registered
87 560SL
292 Posts
Not at all. The problem is only related to the contact area of the rockers on the cams on MBs. On Studebakers it's flat tappets and cams. All hard steel on hard steel.

If you want dino oil, heavy duty diesel rated oils like Delo 400 and Delvac 1300 have high ZDDP levels( around 1200 ppm). All of the aforementioned synthetic oils are Group III, just like these 2 dino oils, so the differences aren't as great as the oil barons would have you believe.
I have seen so many debates on this with knowledgeable people on both sides of the argument, but one thing tends to surface, that break-in is the most critical time for flat lifter engines (during which time an additive might be a good idea).

Mobil1 'high mileage oil' and (happily) 0-40 European formula (recommended for 107) has high zinc levels.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mobil 1 zinc content&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFAQFjAA&url=http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/files/mobil_1_product_guide.pdf&ei=TYgQUKKwFOPz0gH-8IGoBQ&usg=AFQjCNGcFRcJ-UpfWvIGnJv64ulbr7zmiw&cad=rja

·
Premium Member
10,340 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts