Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ever since i have owned my 190d i have been fighting with the stupid glove box to get it open. it is stuck closed and everything that i try and do doesn't work. for some reason it looks like the latch isn't releasing on the inside. i have take the underside of the box off and exposed where it has the cloth lining and can't get it to wiggle out. from what it looks like the previous owner had the same problem because there seems to be pry marks all around the side of the box. i probably spent and 1.5 this morning in the blazing heat trying to get the stupid thing open and yet i was defeated again. any ideas? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'87 190E 2.3 Manual, '81 500SEL 4whl SLS, '91 300SEL
1,757 Posts
Did you try unlocking it? I'm sure you did, but if not...

Your best bet now is just to break it and open it, the plastic components inside probably broke.

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i tried unlocking it (what it was apparently arlready unlocked) and even tried locking it and then unlocking it again and still nothing. i've thought about just breaking it and then finding new one, but was hoping there would be a better solution without having to do that. if i do break it open, do i get the lock out of it and use it for a replacement or will a new box lock still work with my current key?

·
Registered
1984, 201.122, OM601.921, G717.410
504 Posts
Inside the box, the lock attaches to a steel wire loop. That loop is attached to the dashboard by 2 small screws.

GUESS -- I suspect that the lock is stronger than the material into which the screws are mounted (Because mine have merely become loose and fallen out). I would try to pry it open with a metal sheet, which is the entire length of the glove-box door.

Another idea... The screws are in line with the metal loop and latch. Use a strong hardened steel chisel and with a heavy mini-sledge hammer, whack away in the gap right above the latch.

·
Registered
1985 190d
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will try a metal sheet, but yesterday i was using the longest screw driver that i have and tried prying it that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts