Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'll start by apologising because I realise how stupid this sounds... :eek:

Complete newbie but hoping to get either a Vito or Viano, budget means it will be a slightly older model. I'm aware that there have been various models throughout the years but I'm not sure how many different models there have been (or what varies on each model).

Would anyone briefly be able to list the models that were released so I can research the differences and find out which is most suitable for me? (I'm more interested in the extras on the car rather than difference in engine sizes etc, as long as it's in good working order then even the most basic model will be fine for me mechanically).

Thanks for reading, appreciate any help :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Vito uses the same chassis as V-Class.

Vito was kinda the cheap model and never shipped as 7 or 8 seats, it was more like a van. V-Class is the more expensive and luxury model. All the Vito enginges are the same 2.2L only different ECU which gives them different BHP. The 108CDI uses a different radiator without a cooling fan, if I'm not wrong.

The Vito comes in: 113, 110D, 108CDI, 110CDI and finally 112CDI.

I don't know how many versions of V class were made.

Just one single tip from me, don't buy the old 110D engine, or the petrol 113 engine.

Go for either 110CDI or 112CDI. The 108CDI is 80BHP which can feel a little bit slow for its weight.

I personally have a 108CDI and 110CDI.

Check for service history, and search up black death here on forum and read about the symptoms. Check if all gears work etc. etc. etc.

And I personally, in my opinion w638 (1997-2003) looks way more good then w639 (2004-)

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for this, got lots of research to do (as you can tell lol), so great to have the info to get started.

Once I'm looking at vehicles etc a mechanic I know is going to check everything out for me before I part with any cash so hopefully with two of us looking, well one who actually knows what they're doing, that side of it will be ok.

Lot of info to get my head round before I even get to that stage though - thanks again :)

·
Registered
2000 Vito 113 , 2002 v230
127 Posts
why not a petrol

I have a 113 petrol and a v230 petrol, the motors are pretty bullet proof I thought.
Also I have a heap of power especially the 113 with the manual box

Please enlighten me as to why to avoid them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Because of the fuel usage? Before I got my 110CDI, I was told that the 113 engines were very hungry on fuel.

Sure the 120bhp engine feels like power and even more power but I can just chip it :D not to mention the old myth that diesel engines last longer, given that most of the Vito's are 10+ years old they have done a little bit of time.

The petrol engines are rare and cheap in my country as well.

·
Registered
ML63 AMG & 2 350 SLK with AMG kit.
2,488 Posts
Hi,

I'll start by apologising because I realise how stupid this sounds... :eek:

Complete newbie but hoping to get either a Vito or Viano, budget means it will be a slightly older model. I'm aware that there have been various models throughout the years but I'm not sure how many different models there have been (or what varies on each model).

Would anyone briefly be able to list the models that were released so I can research the differences and find out which is most suitable for me? (I'm more interested in the extras on the car rather than difference in engine sizes etc, as long as it's in good working order then even the most basic model will be fine for me mechanically).

Thanks for reading, appreciate any help :)
Are you not looking at 639? only made vianos in the 639 so 2004 on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Zenman,

I think 639 is most likely as I'd like to get the a newer one if possible, probably looking at 2005-06 -ish based on my budget. Was originally looking at Vito but now leaning towards the Viano. Apart from cost implication (repairs, fuel consumption etc) I'm not too fussed about the mechanical side (obviously, will be checked prior to purchase but it doesn't have to be the fastest or most powerful etc).

I know that there is the Viano Trend, Ambiente and Avantgarde (aware this may only be available in newer models but out of interest) do the standards change on each model eg the optional electric sliding door, does that become standard on the Avantagarde for example? Or does the model (ie Trend, Ambiente etc) refer to the mechanical difference in each car and the extras and dependent on what the original owner opted for upon purchase?

Same applies to the long/extra long option, is this only available on certain versions?

Sorry, I realise it would be far easier if I could actually go to a dealer, have a look and get a feel for the car but I'm looking to use it as a sort of disability vehicle so actually getting to a dealer isn't an option for me at the moment hence the beginner questions!

·
Registered
213 Posts
The standard change on the each model yes. It was like this for the V-class too. I don't know where you live, but in my country, -20C and loads of snow the first 639's are not good at all since their rwd. 638's are fwd which makes it far more better on winter time. The newer 639's are 4wd.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hi Zenman,

I think 639 is most likely as I'd like to get the a newer one if possible, probably looking at 2005-06 -ish based on my budget. Was originally looking at Vito but now leaning towards the Viano. Apart from cost implication (repairs, fuel consumption etc) I'm not too fussed about the mechanical side (obviously, will be checked prior to purchase but it doesn't have to be the fastest or most powerful etc).

I know that there is the Viano Trend, Ambiente and Avantgarde (aware this may only be available in newer models but out of interest) do the standards change on each model eg the optional electric sliding door, does that become standard on the Avantagarde for example? Or does the model (ie Trend, Ambiente etc) refer to the mechanical difference in each car and the extras and dependent on what the original owner opted for upon purchase?

Same applies to the long/extra long option, is this only available on certain versions?

Sorry, I realise it would be far easier if I could actually go to a dealer, have a look and get a feel for the car but I'm looking to use it as a sort of disability vehicle so actually getting to a dealer isn't an option for me at the moment hence the beginner questions!
Main difference is trim, trend is part leather, ambiente is all leather.
Anything after 2005, 55 plate is the one to go for, 2006 is better again,later dash and cluster.
Compact is less desirable but I like that, long ready avalable, extra long takes some parking but still nice.
As said hopeless in the snow without the right tyres.
Far better in every way to the early v class.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have very good experience with the 638 and snow. Remember few years ago while our T5 2.5 tdi couldn't drive up the hill from our garage, our 108 Cdi just passed by with a smile on its face :) maybe it was just pure luck, but it made it. Tyres on both were relatively good.

·
Registered
2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
695 Posts
Mate, stop banging on about the 638!!!!! :D

638 is pre 2003, 639 is 2003 to present if you're wondering.

All day long I would go for a 639, as Zenman says, post 2006 is the best. I would get a Viano if I were you, if you are wanting extras it has plenty of them. They are harder to get hold of, especially with a low milage. They all tend to be automatic though......

They do a version of the 639 Vito called a traveliner which might be worth a look. The models are 109,111,115. All are fine, I was suprised how the 109 which is the lowest horsepower is much better than my 110 remapped to 130 bhp.

Make sure you check for rust spots, but don't be scared by them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I drove my friends Viano. No idea about the model, fully loaded like lock the doors twice or something and windows will follow buy etc. it is manual tou... But I found it really uncomfortable. And that huge dash. God save me :D

·
Registered
2000 Vito 113 , 2002 v230
127 Posts
banging on and stuff

Like many I like my 638 I brought I due to price like many others here the 639 is out of my reach.
Sure they have a few issues but are very nice to drive compared to most vans out there.

I am worried however that the technical help for those of us left with the 638 will diminish as others trade up.

So as far as banging on goes, its all good here, I could bang on for hours about holdens :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
It is manuel my friend. It is a 205 model, fully loaded. Even sunroof, duble sliding door etc.

A 6 gear Manuel transmission.

But I still prefer my 638 :)

I bought it pretty expensive, but it only got 22k kms on it. A old lady had it, have been sitting since 2009 due to her loss av abilibty to drive a car.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
It is manuel my friend. It is a 205 model, fully loaded. Even sunroof, duble sliding door etc.

A 6 gear Manuel transmission.

But I still prefer my 638 :)

I bought it pretty expensive, but it only got 22k kms on it. A old lady had it, have been sitting since 2009 due to her loss av abilibty to drive a car.
No Vianos are Manuel, it's a vito!
Whats a 205?

·
Registered
213 Posts
You mean automatic? But it is a 6 speed manual. If you ever come to my country I can show you. With 205 I ment 2005 model. Sent that post from my phone, didn't see the typo.

I have seen the papers and everything, it is a Viano. Maybe only available in Scandinavian countries?

But I see what you mean, when I look for 2nd hand Viano they only exist in Auto.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Picture of only the dash? You won't understand papers as it is not in English. But let me check and I will post a picture. Just have to go buy, it is my friends car not mine as I have mentioned it earlier.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts