Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Stumped- What colour is your coolant?

1016 3
Mine in the 1995 S420 is absolutely clear. I would have thought it would be green. I think somehow my windshield fluid is getting blended with the radiator coolant, and now the whole thing is colourless. I know my windshield fluid reservoir has a leak, but can it bend with the radiatior liquids? The car is not running hotter than normal, so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Y. Chachad
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
CHANGE YUR COOLANT!

Chad: I would change the coolant (drain/flush it) if I were you. I replace my radiator not too long ago because I made the mistake of NOT taking care of my cooling systems... Your coolant should definately be green and NOT any other colour. As for the windshield fluid reservoir, I don't see how it can blend in with the coolant (as the two liquids are stored at different locations w/ seperate hoses) I hope this is of help to your question. Good Luck! [:D][:D][:D][:p][:p][:p]

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Clear Coolant

I worked on Mercs for 10 years in U.K. up to 1997 and antifreeze provided by Mercs was transparent. The easiest way to check would be to take your car to your local dealer and get them to test the Antifreeze content. I doubt they would charge you because it only takes seconds. If in doubt ask them how much.[;)]

· Registered
1995 S420
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mystery solved. The MB coolant in the S420 is absolutely clear!!! I went to the dealersh...

Mystery solved. The MB coolant in the S420 is absolutely clear!!! I went to the dealership, and they said that clear (just a tiny tint of red) is the colour of the coolant in all Benzes since the 90s. They did a coolant test just to be sure. I also purchased a gallon of the stuff to be sure, and yes, when you do a 50/50 blend, that fluid becomes clear and transparent. The MB coolants are NOT Green, if they are green they are aftermarket, and must not be used. MB dealer said in the worst case scenario, top off with Dexcool, but never the green stuff.
Now, the liquid that drippe from my windshield washer reservoir was greenish, because I had put the turtle wax brand windshield washer fluid, which looks red/orange, but, I'll be damned, looks green once it falls on the asphalt. And all this time I thought it was the coolant.
So, mystery solved. There is no problem with the car other than the leaky windshield fluid reservoir. Thanks for all your suggetions.

PS: I think the problem started when I started adding the RainX windshield formula, which contains chemicals that MAY damage some sealant in the reservoir, thereby causing it to leak. I kept adding plain water, (no need to add WS fluid if it's going to drain) and slowly the leaking stopped. I would stay away from the Rain X and turtle wax stuff. Use the cheap blue stuff with 50 percent water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.